Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic tourist submarine is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    At that depth, no. They went as fast as if they were standing 30 feet away from a W80 warhead in the middle of having it's physics package tickled. They never had the time to even notice they were about to die let alone a chance to act or reflect on things. One moment a corporeal being; a microsecond later, ethereal.

Messy, but a good thing ultimately I think...in the context of "if you had to go, this is probably at the top of painless ways to go"
    To your point, this story is an unpleasant read but speaks to the human bodies incompatibility with rapid depressurization.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford..._bell_accident

The level of trauma is almost elemental, akin to the W80 illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    That’s a messy way to go.
    Perhaps not. I've read that at the moment of implosion the temperature is approximately the same as the surface of the sun. I would guess it vaporized all meat. Happened in a shorter time than the brain could receive a pain impulse, supposedly. I'm especially very sad for the teenager whose life was cut short and hope it was indeed, painless.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I guess I don't really understand all the hate and vitriol. Or I understand it, but I wish it wasn't such a predictable thing nowadays.

I would get it if the CEO was sitting in Florida lawyering up and extending condolences while safe and sound. He's dead. He put his own life on the line. I'm not sure how you ask for more. He joins a long line of attempted innovators that placed the ultimate trust in their ideas and lost. The human species is better with such people in it.

Or well, you know, not in it but you get the idea.

This was a compression event, not a decompression event.

Too soon?

"... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Yup. The problem the folks have minding the...lets say equipment...is how to share information about the accident without revealing anything about the equipment. The fact this came out after the fact does not surprise me at all.

My guess is that USN quietly told USCG / rescue assets something along the lines of "hey, if you look for a debris field right...about...here, you might just find something."
    Last edited by RJ; 06-23-2023 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I would get it if the CEO was sitting in Florida lawyering up and extending condolences while safe and sound. He's dead. He put his own life on the line. I'm not sure how you ask for more. He joins a long line of attempted innovators that placed the ultimate trust in their ideas and lost. The human species is better with such people in it.
    How do you ask more? How about trying to make it the safest experience (that's what he was selling) for his customers? People left the team because of safety concerns. Potential customers walked away over safety concerns. Still, he pushed forward with a design that had great potential for failure and zero possibility of self-rescue. That he died doesn't negate the fact that he killed four others. That makes him more grifter than innovator in my book.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Saw this simple illustration this morning.
    The sub depths are deeper than the official depths, but are the speculative chatter about actual capabilities.
    These makes me think the whole idea was maybe nucking futs.

Name:  image_2023-06-23_07-37-30.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  37.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I guess I don't really understand all the hate and vitriol. Or I understand it, but I wish it wasn't such a predictable thing nowadays.

Or well, you know, not in it but you get the idea.
    Deleted cause no caffeine and brain no work.

He ignored lesson that were writ in the blood of 160+ years of submarining and charged people to do it.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 06-23-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    He’s an innovator like when Magnusson told Shackleton “hey you should use sled dogs to cross the Antarctic or you’ll probably die” and Shackleton was all “tish-tosh a proper Englishman drags a sledge by himslelf” and then he wiped out a goodly portion of the men on his expedition.

He ignored lesson that were writ in the blood of 160+ years of submarining and charged people to do it.
    Was that Shackleton, Scott, or someone else?

From my quick research, Shackleton's trips were "interesting", but didn't lose anyone.
    Scott's expedition had a TPK, but had dogs.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List