Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic tourist submarine is missing.

Site Supporter
    “Maybe the first dive should we should be tethered as a safety precaution”

“Nah man a tether would totally ruin the submersible experience”

At the zoom meeting planning this expedition probably.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Rescue operation? Not to be callous, but I don't think Darwin would green-light a rescue operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Rescue operation? Not to be callous, but I don't think Darwin would green-light a rescue operation.
    More than any other district, the 1st Coast Guard district gets saddled with missions involving the rich, for example, when the child from a political dynasty gets in way over his head and flies his plane into the ocean. If you or I did that, the Coast Guard would give an honest whole-hearted effort at a search. Then after a reasonable amount of time, it would be suspended and that would be that. If you're a Brahmin, you get a side-scan sonar search from a NOAA vessel and navy divers from the USS Grapple will dive down and retrieve your fish-eaten remains.

I think we're about to see that happen here. Only one person on board has been identified, and guess what? He's a billionaire! Everybody with a lick of sense knows the submersible is most likely past its crush depth and now looks like a beer can. IIRC the Titanic is in something like 12000' of water. If they are somehow holding depth and unable to ascend, there is sweet fuck all anybody can do to 1) find them and 2) get them to the surface before they run out of life support.

It's really unclear whether the Canadians or the US Coast Guard has primary incident command on this goat rope, but regardless of which country there are some behind-closed-doors discussions around "How the fuck do we look for a missing submarine, which we know is hopeless, without this whole thing winding up All Our Fault?"

One wildcard here is that the US used to spend a bunch of money looking for submarines. We've let that slip in the past decades. I don't think SOSUS is still operational, for example. It's possible though that the US has a platform with data that could be VERY helpful in sussing this situation out, but giving up the data might compromise the platform. This wouldn't be the first time info from a military sensor platform could help out in a strictly humanitarian issue, but usually, national security concerns win out.

Even if by some miracle, this thing is floating above its crush depth and everyone onboard is still alive, it's really unclear to me what could be done about it. The US has the ability to deploy DSRVs to vessels of opportunity VERY quickly, but I think there is a zero percent chance that this submersible could even be helped by a DSRV.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

It is rated for over 13000' and has made 2 prior trips to the titanic so it shouldn't be past its crush depth. It should also have oxygen to last them until Thursday morning. But that's if it lost both communications and the ability to surface due to some otherwise benign condition.

There have been at least 4 successful sub rescues, but the deepest of those was ~1600' so I can't imagine there is much hope for evacuation unless they can raise her.

Edit: correction in 2022 communication failed in bad weather and the sub was unable to find titanic. Apparently it needs those on the ship to tell it where to go.

correction x2: they did reach it a few days later. Video on that effort

Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-20-2023 at 01:29 AM.

I remember an article about an early minisub deeep dive where one guy commented that he was listening to the creak and groan of the sub, and looked at the rivets inside.
    "It was like looking into the mouth of a cannon."

Heard the news boob say this morning that they [the people trapped] have 96 hours of emergency air......

If in fact they are still alive.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    I read that in WWII, some navy personnel in the battleship turrets carried the Remington 41 cal derringers in case the ship sunk at sea and that's were they would be stuck in an unpleasant situation at the bottom. Don't know if that is true. It is thought or perhaps some pharmaceutical.

If you got to the sub, you would have to drag it up to the surface? How, are there other subs that can do that?

Read there were two rich Pakistanis in it, also.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Too bad the Glomar Explorer has been scrapped if a salvage operation has to be mounted. It worked in deeper waters (>16,000') and got at least part of K-129 off the seafloor before the grapple failure.

I do not understand how any rescue operation can be considered feasible. Even if another sub gets down to the submersible, what can it do? Even attaching a line or attempting to grab the sub is extremely hazardous due to the currents near the Titanic. The Glomar Explorer operation happened about six years after the sinking of K-129. Working at those depths is not something to be done with Xbox controllers.

This seems very much like a situation where you say, "Oh...well anyways..." And continue on with your life.

If you choose to spend $250,000 to go down 12,000' below the surface of an ocean, in a beer can built by some dudes in the garage, to look at a wreck where ~1500 people died what happens is on you.

Hubris called your bluff.

Paying $250,000 for a trip to an unearthly part of the planet reminds me of this. You have to see the end to truly appreciate the reference. 🤣🤷🏼

Upper Class Twit of the Year:

User Tag List