Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5, G21 issues..

I’m about to run my new Gen 5 G21 through its paces. This has me a little concerned but I’ll be running Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ factory loads, so we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Gen4 and 5 Glocks are sprung pretty tight. I agree with the others, try factory ammo or turn your load up a notch.
    This... most people that buy the G21 want to shoot full power and +P defensive/outdoors ammo, and the guns are optimized for the recoil impulse of these loads.

Site Supporter
    Ditto re Glocks (admittedly , I only have Gen 1-3 guns) running best on factory ammo on the warm side and/or reloads that duplicate the same.

I have shot a ton of Speer Lawman in 9 and 45 and "multiple" tons in .40. It has run well across the board in Glocks and 1911s where applicable.

Slight drift warning:

When I game(ed), I tend(ed) to shoot 4.3 ish of 231 with a 124 plated out of a Glock 34.

To insure max reliability, I use(d) a recoil spring that has a few thousand rounds of full power 40 cal (Speer Gold Dot and Lawman) thru it.

By extrapolation, you might want to get some rounds on the recoil spring you have in the gun now with full power loads and have that spring, after being good and shot in, become the spring you run with your softer reloads.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I’m about to run my new Gen 5 G21 through its paces. This has me a little concerned but I’ll be running Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ factory loads, so we’ll see.
    Don’t be.

As noted Glocks are made to run full power factory ammo.

The fact one won’t run with, what the late P-F member LSP972 termed “bunny fart” loads is not a factor.

Looking through my stash of powder, I’ve found some that should work, I agree with everyone that I need to bump my loads a notch or two, I’m sure I can get this pistol running, I figured the recoil spring is pretty tight, and may take a few rounds to loosen up a bit. Overall, I really like it, I put some Ameriglo suppressor sights on it, and they’re pretty much on, informal shooting yesterday at clay pidgins, out to 25yds, no problems hitting them, the accuracy is there..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Looking through my stash of powder, I’ve found some that should work, I agree with everyone that I need to bump my loads a notch or two, I’m sure I can get this pistol running, I figured the recoil spring is pretty tight, and may take a few rounds to loosen up a bit. Overall, I really like it, I put some Ameriglo suppressor sights on it, and they’re pretty much on, informal shooting yesterday at clay pidgins, out to 25yds, no problems hitting them, the accuracy is there..
    The other option is to re-spring the gun for lighter loads:

https://www.dpmsystems.com/en-gb/dpm...ock-20-21-gen5

Site Supporter
    When the Gen 4 Glocks in 9mm came out Larry Vickers recommended locking the slide back and leaving it that way for a weekend.

I’m not fanning the flames of a “spring set” versus working spring for wear.

But that seemed to yield positive results before the RSA recall happened.

I’d just be curious to see if that did anything.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I don't see G21-5 spring sets other that that expensive gimmick, but surely something will be along.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Like I said on mine, it did it a couple of times with Federal 230 HST ammo but I also had a guy tell me to watch my trigger finger and the right side slide release. I'm not sure if that was an issue but given the bigger frame, I could have been riding it without realizing. He told me about seeing others with that issue on gen 5 Glocks right after I got it back from Glock. I made note of it and had no further issues but it's like, well did Glock fix it or was it the slide release???

Either way it runs great now.

FWIW, my Gen 3 G21 chokes on my 200 grain SWC loads too. Your pics look just like what mine does. These loads make major USPSA power factor, but they are definitely lighter than factory ball. That's what I'm attributing to my malfs. I'll revisit this load again and work up a "bunny fart" 185 JHP load (if it'll let me) when I get about 1k more rounds on the gun. ETA: It runs factory without issue.

User Tag List