Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5, G21 issues..

Gen 5, G21 issues..

Name:  IMG_0858.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  31.5 KBName:  IMG_0855.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  32.5 KB

I need some opinions here, this is a brand new G21, I bought last week, I was shooting some 200gr RN’s with 5.0 gr of Bullseye, OAL 1.245, and had nothing but trouble as you can see in the pics (provided they show up) shot about 300rnds, and not once did it make it through a mag without a failure of some kind, including erratic ejection with me getting hit in the face at least twice..Oddly enough, when I got home, I loaded a mag up with some 230 gr loads (5.0 gr Bullseye OAL 1.200) and all of the empties flew out to the right, and I had one failure to feed.. I also loaded up a mag of the 200gr loads, and ran them through my HK45C, and as you would expect, no issues, they all fed, fired, and ejected, just fine..So, is this a break in issue? Or something else going on? According to my loading data, I can’t go too much higher on the powder charge with the 200gr loads, and it looks to me like the pistol is short stroking, and not developing enough energy to push the slide back far enough to eject the case, and pick up a new round.Any help would be appreciated,
    Last edited by ralph; 06-19-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Name:  IMG_0859.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  30.4 KB

Another pic Name:  IMG_0861.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  39.2 KB

Alliant shows 6.0 grains as a max load for 230 grain pills. I'm thinking you may be a little on the light side for that gun with 200 grain bullets.

ETA: Any issues with factory ammo?

I'll second @Spartan1980 - are there any issues with factory ammo?
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Alliant shows 6.0 grains as a max load for 230 grain pills. I'm thinking you may be a little on the light side for that gun with 200 grain bullets.

ETA: Any issues with factory ammo?
    I’m looking at a Alliant reloading guide from 2013 and it’s showing 5.7gr of Bullseye as a max load with a 230 gr TMJ RN with a OAL of 1.260..
    On the 200gr side, it’s showing 4.6 gr as max with an OAL of 1.190 using a 200gr LSWC, and with a 200gr Speer GD 5.8 gr and a OAL of 1.200, so, you’re right, I might be a little light..but that’s ok, they’ll work in my HK’s and probably be fine in my Vaquero.. I’d rather have them a little light, you can always add more powder the next time.. I’ve got a few boxes of good defense ammo, tomorrow I’ll run a mag of those through, and see what happens.. I figure they’ll probably be fine.. I’ll post what happens with them tomorrow..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Name:  IMG_0858.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  31.5 KBName:  IMG_0855.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  32.5 KB

I need some opinions here, this is a brand new G21, I bought last week, I was shooting some 200gr RN’s with 5.0 gr of Bullseye, OAL 1.245, and had nothing but trouble as you can see in the pics (provided they show up) shot about 300rnds, and not once did it make it through a mag without a failure of some kind, including erratic ejection with me getting hit in the face at least twice..Oddly enough, when I got home, I loaded a mag up with some 230 gr loads (5.0 gr Bullseye OAL 1.200) and all of the empties flew out to the right, and I had one failure to feed.. I also loaded up a mag of the 200gr loads, and ran them through my HK45C, and as you would expect, no issues, they all fed, fired, and ejected, just fine..So, is this a break in issue? Or something else going on? According to my loading data, I can’t go too much higher on the powder charge with the 200gr loads, and it looks to me like the pistol is short stroking, and not developing enough energy to push the slide back far enough to eject the case, and pick up a new round.Any help would be appreciated,
    Glocks are service guns made / set up for factory service ammo.

Run it with factory ammo and see if the malfunctions persist.

FYI. Current data from the Alliant data site.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 9.36.13 PM.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  56.5 KB

I bought the first 21.5 I saw and went out with high hopes only to have similar issues. Oddly enough it was mostly with 200 grain bullets from SNS but it also hung up a couple of times on the pointed edge of the chamber mouth with Fed HST’s (3:00 and 9:00)

I called Glock and they wanted to look at it, sent a call tag and it was back in my hands in a week and a half. Problem was not duplicated but they replaced the RSA and the cover on the end of the slide. Tech guy said these guns were sprung very heavy and needed a little break in. Nothing they said made about any sense to me but it hasn’t done it again with anything I’ve tried including 200 grain flat points or the 230 grain HST’s.

I’d try full power loads and if trouble persists, call them and they will take care of you. The tech told me if I had any more problems to just call and they would look at it until the problem was solved. I am very pleased with the gun and the way Glock took care of me.

Gen4 and 5 Glocks are sprung pretty tight. I agree with the others, try factory ammo or turn your load up a notch.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Use quality factory ammunition-both what you'd use for practice/training/matches, ands then JHP that you'd use defensively. If you have problems with those there are grounds for seeking repair or recourse from Glock.

Otherwise, in my opinion it's on you; focussing on your reloading component choices, guidance, tools, experience and mechanics.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List