Thread: Prototype EDCLB IP Light Holster

Prototype EDCLB IP Light Holster

Even though I'm not an advocate of pocket clips, I have to concede they do a great job keeping an EDC light readily accessible. I prefer pocket carry, but keeping the light in a stable and consistent position is a downfall of just dropping the light into a pocket. For this reason, I've been long experimenting with pocket holsters for flashlights.

I have finally cobbled together a very promising setup;

As you can see, this uses the Raven Concealment Systems Pocket Shield as a base. I've had this for quite a while and have been experimenting with it. I like the concept but most of the items I clipped to it were not entirely stable and would shift around. The second photo illustrates the solution to this: remove the belt clip and fasten directly to the Pocket Shield. This rig rides in my left pocket with the light and magazine on the outside (I've discovered this orientation works best for me when using the Pocket Shield).

The light carrier was scavenged from a bezel-down belt holster for the SureFire 6P. I can't recall the name of the company, but they've been out of business for some time. The mag carrier is a JMCK Pouch #3, which I removed the belt clip and fastened directly to the Pocket Shield as well.

Both the mag and light carrier are adjusted with little to no retention for ease of drawing and re-holstering. Since these are completely inside the pocket, they remain secure this way. So far with a day of carrying, this setup is a huge improvement for the flashlight carry: the light remains completely stable inside the pocket making for consistent and fast retrieval. Re-holstering the light is also quick and easy. The system also offers a lot of flexibility in positioning the light carrier and whatever else one may want to attach to the Pocket Shield. Just reach inside the pocket and the light is perfectly and consistently positioned for easy access.

I'll be reaching out to @Tony Mayer to discuss replicating the light carrier. The version illustrated is for a 1.25" bezel diameter, so a Fat Boy fits perfectly. There will also need to be a 1-inch version for the other EDCLB lights. If Tony can make the light carriers, then all of these parts are readily available.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this concept and thanks for taking a look!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    As the light pouch is being prototyped, a belt loop would also be helpful.

When I pocket carry a light, the amount of other junk in my pocket precludes using a Pocket Shield as you show. I have tried, and it simply does not help me.

Whenever I can do so, I carry the light on my belt, which makes it more accessible as well as freeing up space in my pocket.

A belt loop or Tek-Lock is critical. I have had bad experiences with pocket clips on magazine pouches.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    As the light pouch is being prototyped, a belt loop would also be helpful.
    Bill, the feedback is appreciated - thanks!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Whenever I can do so, I carry the light on my belt, which makes it more accessible as well as freeing up space in my pocket.

A belt loop or Tek-Lock is critical. I have had bad experiences with pocket clips on magazine pouches.
    I found these which look pretty good.

The 1" model would fit Bodyguard, Dagger and Shogun lights, the 1.3" would fit Fat Boy.

User Tag List