Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GP100 running out of elevation adjustment

Here is a video that really helped me out:

After watching the video, I am amazed at all the forethought it took in designing this revolver. It's like putting together a puzzle.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Sighting issue has been worked out. I was indeed not doing it right. I guess that comes from shooting nothing but red dots for a couple years.

New issue is my GP100 seems to have an issue locking up after a day of shooting. Twice now I’ve went out to shoot, put between 50 to 150 rounds through the gun, then a day or so later I go to dry fire and the cylinder won’t rotate and the hammer and trigger will just get stuck. The first time this happened, I had cleaned the gun, this time I haven’t.
    Again I’m very new to revolvers but I just can’t figure out what my problem is here.

Edited to add, my ejector/ extractor rod won’t even move now, and the cylinder takes more effort to swing out.
    I have long been a believer in detail stripping all Ruger revolvers - ESPECIALLY STAINLESS ONES - and checking for small burrs or toolmarks that can cause binding or grating, in addition to cleaning out any "factory" crud and re-lubricating everything with nice, clean lube. The crazy little things you can find in a new handgun are almost endless. A couple of spare hours and little more than a can of Gun Scrubber, your oil and/or grease of choice, plenty of rags or patches, and sparing, judicious use of a small, very fine hard Arkansas stone (and maybe a set of Swiss needle files) can do wonders on a GP-100 or SP101.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    What brand of ammo are you running?

When I took Tom Givens' revolver class one of the guns there went down fairly quickly due to shooting dirty ammo.

Revolvers require a lot more maintenance than semi-autos. I keep a nylon brush/tooth brush with me to clean out the area under the star when I shoot a lot of rounds.
    Its been a mix of American Eagle 357 and Winchester white box. 38s.

I also brushed out from under the star, and ran a brush through the charge holes (is that the term for where the bullets go?) every couple drills while my buddies loaded mags.

Thank you all for the help, I'll be taking it all the way to the frame soon to see if I can't figure it out this time.

https://www.kevinsworkbench.com/sp101trigger/

I use this guide, everything transfers over to the GP100.

You'll find where shims are mentioned, that's another rabbit hole to go down. I do have one GP that could benefit from shimming. I plan on doing that this fall.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    https://www.kevinsworkbench.com/sp101trigger/

I use this guide, everything transfers over to the GP100.

You'll find where shims are mentioned, that's another rabbit hole to go down. I do have one GP that could benefit from shimming. I plan on doing that this fall.
    The IBOK ("Iowegian's Book Of Knowledge") for the GP-100 was my favorite go-to guide, and some of the info it contained may still be available out there in internet archives. Alas, I can no longer find the copy I printed out many years ago.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The IBOK ("Iowegian's Book Of Knowledge") for the GP-100 was my favorite go-to guide, and some of the info it contained may still be available out there in internet archives. Alas, I can no longer find the copy I printed out many years ago.

I'm more of a picture book guy but IBOK is here Queue PDF - Iowegan’s Book Of Knowledge For The Ruger Gp-100 Revolver [5143m6vmygnj] (idoc.pub)

If that don't work I can probably email a PDF.

User Tag List