Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strong side concealed carry, fear of printing and getting pistol stolen

@pmandayam, what is your body type?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @pmandayam, what is your body type?
    Male 5'10" about 180 lbs. Average, occasional gym going body type. I suppose I can give appendix carry a try? Though the 5" barrel is pretty long.

Are suspenders a good idea for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by pmandayam View Post
    Male 5'10" about 180 lbs. Average, occasional gym going body type. I suppose I can give appendix carry a try? Though the 5" barrel is pretty long.

A longer holster is often better for AIWB. Many AIWB holsters for compact pistols are offered with extended length. The longer holster helps to rotate your grip tighter to your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    A longer holster is often better for AIWB. Many AIWB holsters for compact pistols are offered with extended length. The longer holster helps to rotate your grip tighter to your body.
    How do I deal with the muzzle running into the genitals?

I had to transition to strong side IWB due to hernia surgery. I had to move from a double stack pistol to a slim single stack pistol to get reasonable concealment. My HK is just too bulky for IWB. I'm hoping some day I will be able to go back to AIWB carry but for now I'm good with a single stack pistol in a JMCK IWB3 holster an my Apogee belt.

I have also found that, for me, a longer IWB holster is beneficial just like a longer AIWB holster is.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

There’s a sweet spot.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've heard people say that if you conceal carry on strong hip side, there is a chance your shirt might ride up and get caught on the grip of the pistol, like when you bend over, and then there is a chance someone will come up from behind and steal your gun.

How do I minimize printing strong side and preventing the shirt from catching onto the grip?

FYI, I want to carry a Beretta 92 fs.
    I observed this very thing at Academy yesterday. Dude in shorts and a T-shirt was leaning over the counter and the butt of his pistol printed badly through the thin material of his shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My normal carry attire is a tucked in lightweight colored t shirt with an unbuttoned Magellan style fishing shirt over that. The overshirt is a little large, enough so that if I need to button up due to wind it doesn’t stretch over the gun.
    This is precisely how I dress, except that I prefer my overshirt to be a heavier cotton with a tight weave. Cotton breathes better, and the heavier material helps with the wind issue Patterns in the fabric help to mask little bulges when they happen.

Are you planning to wear the gun inside the waistband (IWB) or outside the waistband (OWB) ? Are you interested in a leather holster, or Kydex? Do yourself a favor and avoid buying of the rack at your local big box store or gun shop, unless they are particularly switched on.

For Kydex, you absolutely cannot go wrong with either the #3 IWB or #2 OWB from https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/ , and your Beretta is available via his quick ship option.

For leather, particularly if you aren't sure about IWB/OWB, I would recommend the convertible pancake from TT Gunleather: https://www.ttgunleather.com/product...ancake-owb-iwb

It is well made, and his production time runs 4-6 weeks, where most other custom leather producers run 12 weeks or more.

It depends. If you have an ass, such that the rear of your belt won't slide off your hips under load, then suspenders aren't necessary. But they can still take some of the load off your hips and distribute that to your shoulders. The overshirt should cover them up nicely.

If, however, you don't have any ass to speak of, then suspenders may be needed. My son's torso is basically V-shaped, and he simply can't crank his belt down tight enough to keep his jeans from falling down. Perry suspenders which clip onto the bottom of the belt work great for him. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=perry+sus..._ts-doa-p_3_16
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-18-2023 at 02:02 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Perry suspenders are a must for my body type.

I have a Vedder IWB for a Beretta 92F and it conceals the pistol well.

If you’re considering appendix carry, check out the Phlster YouTube channel and the educational material on their website. They’ve got videos that will answer any questions you might have.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop/acp-wedge
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List