Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strong side concealed carry, fear of printing and getting pistol stolen

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The back hook has a split so you can center it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Don't get it? The back hook usually straddles the center back loop. One some pants with a fatter back loop, I took them to a tailor to refit it to accommodate the back hook. Works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Yes offset to miss loop and more importantly to miss the center of your spine.
    Thanks! I see the split, but in the little photos i found it doesn’t look wide enough to do anything. I ordered a set to see how they work for me, back when I wore suits everyday and was a lot larger braces were my friend - but they were button attached on beltless suit pants.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’ll take a pic when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by pmandayam View Post
    I've heard people say that if you conceal carry on strong hip side, there is a chance your shirt might ride up and get caught on the grip of the pistol, like when you bend over, and then there is a chance someone will come up from behind and steal your gun.

How do I minimize printing strong side and preventing the shirt from catching onto the grip?

FYI, I want to carry a Beretta 92 fs.
    For an M92, I would opt for an IWB (not an appendix IWB). Something along the lines of a Milt Sparks Executive Companion or Summer Special, or other IWB rig. It has been my experience that longer barrels are a bit more stable than shorter ones, when carried in this way. In 1991 I received my first CCW and picked up a Colt Officer's ACP 1911 with 3.5" barrel. I carried it daily. However, when I picked up a standard 5" Government Model Colt 1911, I quickly realized that the 5"gun was easier to carry, due to the long slide being more stable when carried IWB.

Below is a pic of a G19 in an Executive Companion.

Very easy to conceal. That said, I have carried a G34 IWB with its 5.3" barrel and have found it to work great.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Why? Worried you are going to fall on it? It's a small plastic piece, is that a significant threat? Not arguing, but never thought of that.
    No threat. Just uncomfortable for me.
    My spine is fucked

Site Supporter
    Sorry to hear that. My wife and I have spinal stenosis and sometimes it is a real bitch. Age!

The Perry suspenders have been a god send to prevent an obscene display to the outside world and help with the gun gear.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    I’ll second this…. I carry a B92 Compact in a 15 deg cant JMCK IWB #3 behind the hip (8 o’clock as a Lefty) and love it.
    Add an unbuttoned shirt over a t-shirt, and I’m golden.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Some additional points which will help hide the gun IWB:

Pick a holster which positions the gun as deep in the waistband as possible while still maintaining a full firing grip. This will reduce separation of the gun from your body while bending at the waist.

Carrying at 3:30 is far enough back to take advantage of the shape of your hips for concealment without being so far back that bending at the waist is a problem.

For a Beretta, consider a holster with a 15 degree cant angle.

Widely spaced belt loops help with stability.
    T
    Consider a JM Custom Kydex IWB #3.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks! I see the split, but in the little photos i found it doesn’t look wide enough to do anything. I ordered a set to see how they work for me, back when I wore suits everyday and was a lot larger braces were my friend - but they were button attached on beltless suit pants.
    Name:  4E84FC7C-7BF3-4E59-9E14-9F69E49B6540.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  77.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Name:  4E84FC7C-7BF3-4E59-9E14-9F69E49B6540.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  77.9 KB
    Thank you - that’s wider than the poor pic I saw.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by pmandayam View Post
    How do I minimize printing strong side and preventing the shirt from catching onto the grip?

FYI, I want to carry a Beretta 92 fs.
    The key feature of an OWB concealment holster is the trailing belt loop. The loop that is behind the trigger guard.

It is found on the pancake design as seen in this Simply Rugged Cuda https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...407&parent=669

Also used in the other most common concealment holster, the Nelson #1 Professional, example the Milt Sparks 55BN https://www.miltsparks.com/outside-the-waistband/55-bn/

Without the trailing loop on an OWB holster, there is nothing to pull the grip into the body.

Another consideration is cant. A canted holster, with the muzzle rear, often called FBI cant, will rotate the gun a bit and also aid concealment. Another consideration is a straight drop holster could probably allow the gun to be drawn by somebody behind you, but a canted holster, with the muzzle facing rear, would be very difficult for somebody behind you to draw from your holster, unless they were significantly taller than you.

Some new to concealed carry will gravitate to a holster like the Blade-Tech Classic ( https://blade-tech.com/products/clas...=6067188498460 ) or a BlackHawk SERPA ( https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/s...ster/1580.html ) because they are well known products and, especially the SERPA, are often one of the few holsters available at the big box or gun store. While each have their good points, the Blade-Tech for range/training/competition and the SERPA perhaps for field use while boating or ATVing, neither are very good concealment holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    The key feature of an OWB concealment holster is the trailing belt loop. The loop that is behind the trigger guard.

It is found on the pancake design as seen in this Simply Rugged Cuda https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...407&parent=669

Also used in the other most common concealment holster, the Nelson #1 Professional, example the Milt Sparks 55BN https://www.miltsparks.com/outside-the-waistband/55-bn/

Without the trailing loop on an OWB holster, there is nothing to pull the grip into the body.

Another consideration is cant. A canted holster, with the muzzle rear, often called FBI cant, will rotate the gun a bit and also aid concealment. Another consideration is a straight drop holster could probably allow the gun to be drawn by somebody behind you, but a canted holster, with the muzzle facing rear, would be very difficult for somebody behind you to draw from your holster, unless they were significantly taller than you.

Some new to concealed carry will gravitate to a holster like the Blade-Tech Classic ( https://blade-tech.com/products/clas...=6067188498460 ) or a BlackHawk SERPA ( https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/s...ster/1580.html ) because they are well known products and, especially the SERPA, are often one of the few holsters available at the big box or gun store. While each have their good points, the Blade-Tech for range/training/competition and the SERPA perhaps for field use while boating or ATVing, neither are very good concealment holsters.
    This. In leather I much prefer a 55BN type holster (I like Kramer’s horsehide version) and in Kydex JMCK’s OWB2, both of which have the front tunnel loop / trailing loop design. They pull the butt in nicely.

OP, an OWB2 from JMCK’s QuckShip line would be a very good starting point - and very likely ending point.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/Q-OWB2-Holster.html
    Ken

User Tag List