Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strong side concealed carry, fear of printing and getting pistol stolen

Strong side concealed carry, fear of printing and getting pistol stolen

I've heard people say that if you conceal carry on strong hip side, there is a chance your shirt might ride up and get caught on the grip of the pistol, like when you bend over, and then there is a chance someone will come up from behind and steal your gun.

How do I minimize printing strong side and preventing the shirt from catching onto the grip?

FYI, I want to carry a Beretta 92 fs.
    Last edited by pmandayam; 06-18-2023 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added pistol name

Quote Originally Posted by pmandayam View Post
    How do I minimize printing strong side and preventing the shirt from catching onto the grip?
    1. Select a holster that holds the pistol tight to the body (especially the grip). I use the JMCK #3 IWB
    2. Use a sturdy 1.5" belt that fully stabilizes the rig. I like The Wilderness Instructor belt
    3. Wear cover garments that are long and loose enough to not snag and keep it all concealed. Even if you're not, tall versions will give better coverage.
    4. Bend at the knees instead of bending over at the hips to reach low
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    Get a good holster that tucks the grip in against your body.

Avoid tight fitting cover garments and dress around the gun.

99% of the populace is oblivious to most things going on around them and will likely never notice an even modestly concealed weapon.

Maintaining good situational awareness of those around you will go along way toward reducing the potential for a gun grab. There are concealment holsters with different levels of retention which may slow down a potential grab but should not be a replacement for learning some weapons retention techniques.

I've not personally found a need for a retention concealment holster but range/woods holsters have those features.

Are you new to concealed carry?

What are you carrying? If a revolver you can change the grips to something less sticky. If a semi a shorter grip would be less likely to grab the shirt. I think you will get a lot of great suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Are you new to concealed carry?
    Thanks. Yes, I am new to concealed carry. I got my license just a few months ago. I've been carrying a j-frame in the pocket this whole time, but would like to conceal carry my Beretta 92 fs on strong side.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    What are you carrying? If a revolver you can change the grips to something less sticky. If a semi a shorter grip would be less likely to grab the shirt. I think you will get a lot of great suggestions
    Beretta 92 fs. Would like to carry on right hip.

Quote Originally Posted by pmandayam View Post
    Beretta 92 fs. Would like to carry on right hip.
    Not all people can conceal a full size auto at 3:30. I definitely couldn’t, due to body size constraints.

I’d recommend exploring a smaller gun, and/or appendix carry (after training if needed).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    What Clusterfrack said.

A 92fs is a large pistol to conceal at 3:30.

I carried a 96 for years in a SOB holster when I first got my CWP. It would not be my choice now.

A holster with a little forward rake may help both with the draw stroke as well as putting the butt of the pistol more within the profile of your torso and less evident protruding from the rear. Of course as Clusterfrack also said, body size matters.

If you like the 92 and a smaller gun is an option a Centurion 92 may be a more suitable size.

Whatever pistol you choose a JMCK OWB2 would probably be your best bet for carrying at 3:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Whatever pistol you choose a JMCK OWB2 would probably be your best bet for carrying at 3:30.
    This x100. I have other OWB holsters that conceal as well, but the OWB2 is a perfect balance of capability, concealability and cost for me. I almost never can carry IWB anymore due to a surgical scar - doing it usually requires a few days of recovery before doing it again. OWB2 keeps the grip tucked in which prevents ride-up incidents.

Also, as mentioned above it’s hard to overstress dressing around your weapon. My normal carry attire is a tucked in lightweight colored t shirt with an unbuttoned Magellan style fishing shirt over that. The overshirt is a little large, enough so that if I need to button up due to wind it doesn’t stretch over the gun.

When I first started carrying a gazillion years ago I was convinced everyone could see MY GUN, but after a bit I realized most never noticed it. But, situational awareness is always essential, and keeping track of the gun being covered without telegraphing (touching, adjusting) is a learned behavior.

I do carry my 92 in an OWB2 often enough to be comfortable. (I also carry it in a Kramer Vertical Scabbard for when I feel fancy.) I’m big with a long torso, and I dress around it which helps.

And I’m envious as hell of people who can AIWB. I’m too fluffy, and there’s that damn scar. But that’s probably the most effective way of concealing a large frame auto ever invented.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List