Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Digital" Man test, assigning a wound value to every square inch

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I remember reading about "Computerman" and such in the gun rags back in the late 80's/ early 90's.

"Caliber Wars", Thompson-LaGarde, Momentum vs Velocity, Marshall/Sanow and such.

I thought DocGKR had posted related to these things over the years.

I read some of the archival pdf's too. Interesting from a historical perspective. I guess we didn't know what we didn't know. We've come a long ways, on many levels.
    We tried to explain what we had known for a long time: mammals need to be hit in the heart, brain, or spine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    We tried to explain what we had known for a long time: mammals need to be hit in the heart, brain, or spine.
    And there is the truth of it.

Working ER/ICU for 4 decades, half of it in the New Orleans area, I've seen the end results of way too many GSW's,
    Sometimes the heart and solid head wounds were brought to us to pronounce, sometimes they to some degree survived, sometimes the Coroner pronounced them in the field.
    Human beings are tough, very resilient, unpredictable. But like what Hambo said, those are very effective shots.
    There's no magic, just placement and penetration, often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think the issue with the computer model is that humans are variable in their anatomy and it’s unrealistic to ask or expect people to aim specifically at the aorta or spinal cord in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    There's no magic, just placement and penetration, often enough.
    That's a signature line if I ever saw one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think the issue with the computer model is that humans are variable in their anatomy and it’s unrealistic to ask or expect people to aim specifically at the aorta or spinal cord in 3D.
    To that point this is not uncommon.

Name:  IMG_2973.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  40.6 KB

Or more extreme case:

Name:  IMG_2974.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  27.4 KB

So basically assume center mass has a higher probability of hitting something vital and likely don’t take more time trying to pinpoint the aorta. If you have that kind of time, then spine or head is a less variable anatomic target.

"THE ONLY RELIABLE WAY TO STOP THE AGGRESSION OF A FEARLESS ASSAILANT IS TO DISRUPT HIS VITAL BODY STRUCTURES. This fact has proven itself both on the military and urban battlefields. It should come as no surprise to any experienced hunter.

"THE HEART, MAJOR BLOOD VESSELS, AND UPPER PART OF THE SPINE ARE THE VITAL STRUCTURES OF THE TORSO."

--Fackler, Martin L., M.D., "Police Handgun Ammunition Selection", Wound Ballistics Review, Fall 92, pp. 32 - 37.

Click here to read Fackler's paper (pp. 32-37)

As Jeff Cooper said of big game hunting, it is not like the safari movies, where one shot rings out and the charging beast drops at Bwana's feet, the idea is that a hard hit will cause a period of discombobulation, which you use to shoot him again.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List