Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 625 .45 Colt wood stocks - checkered or not?

Site Supporter
    I vote for smooth wood. If you want sticky get rubber. Yea, it looks like crap but your hand won't slip on the good rubber stocks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I vote for smooth wood. If you want sticky get rubber. Yea, it looks like crap but your hand won't slip on the good rubber stocks.

Dave
    If Hogue would make synthetic JMs, I’d be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Wait for what you really want. If you settle for less you will be disappointed.
    To clarify, when I posted my question I had not decided between the two options and had no preference. I was looking for pros and cons between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Hands that are wet or bloody or both will never get a good grip on a smooth stock. ... Check out KSD grips a Turkish company.
    Thank you. You reminded me of a certain very rainy day I spent shooting a 1911 with its stock grip panels. I liked those panels right up until that day, now they sit, um, somewhere while the pistol wears something grippier. Yup, checkered is probably the way to go. At least I hope so, since that is what I bought. (Bloody expensive, by the way... I had better like these, a lot. )

I've seen KSD grips on eBay, but unfortunately they seem obsessed with finger grooves. Those always end up spreading my fingers apart rather uncomfortably.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    To clarify, when I posted my question I had not decided between the two options and had no preference. I was looking for pros and cons between the two.

Thank you. You reminded me of a certain very rainy day I spent shooting a 1911 with its stock grip panels. I liked those panels right up until that day, now they sit, um, somewhere while the pistol wears something grippier. Yup, checkered is probably the way to go. At least I hope so, since that is what I bought. (Bloody expensive, by the way... I had better like these, a lot. )

I've seen KSD grips on eBay, but unfortunately they seem obsessed with finger grooves. Those always end up spreading my fingers apart rather uncomfortably.
    Parallel auto grips are not the same as angled revolver grips. Or a set with finger groves that fit your fingers.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I prefer checkered.

I'd write off to Herrett's for a set of Jordan Troopers. I don't care for checkering on heavy recoiling revolvers, so they would be smooth. While not inexpensive, they are truly custom and will make that 625 "yours."

Site Supporter
    Miculek grips wrapped with skateboard tape?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Auto grips I like aggressive checkering because of the parallel sides of the grips. Revolvers have and angle to them that wedges to hand up.
    I haven't really noticed that revolver grip angle preventing the grip from slipping in hand. I'm thinking hand size and strength might be a factor here?

I'm not saying you are wrong. The non-checkered stocks might have worked. But since shipping fees, custom fees and taxes more than double the price of the stocks... It seemed more prudent to go with the checkered ones, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Miculek grips wrapped with skateboard tape?
    The whole idea behind this project was to get something nicer than my typical duct-tape-and-zip-ties jury rigged janky as hell setup.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I haven't really noticed that revolver grip angle preventing the grip from slipping in hand. I'm thinking hand size and strength might be a factor here?

I'm not saying you are wrong. The non-checkered stocks might have worked. But since shipping fees, custom fees and taxes more than double the price of the stocks... It seemed more prudent to go with the checkered ones, just in case.

The whole idea behind this project was to get something nicer than my typical duct-tape-and-zip-ties jury rigged janky as hell setup.

I'm not saying I'm right either

I also think that because I remove my hand every 6 rounds to reload that might make hand slippage less important. The recoil impulse is also different.

Either way I don't think it'll really matter in this case with a .45 colt. Get what you want to look at.

I'm about to order another set of jm grips for my m65 fwiw. They're definitely my new favorites.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I have smooth grips on my 625 JM. Never noticed that I needed checkering. The grips do have finger groves though. I don't shoot in the rain or carry it. I took the original grips off. I think the ones on there now are Hogue Tulipwood.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List