Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Officer’s Glock Jams…Badly

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have to wonder if the culprit is the culture of keeping mags forever. I’ve worked with LEO’s who are using the same mags they had at the academy 10 to 20 years ago. Mags are consumables, but LEO’s are cheap and some agencies can’t be bothered to replace them over time. Heck, @Failure2Stop has shared throwing away a rifle mag that was causing problems and writing “BAD” on it. Months later one of his Marines was having problems and he found that same mag was in the rifle. That Marine saw it in the trash and took it out to use. Lol!

As @TGS mentioned mags are the most common failure point. Check your people and their equipment if you’re in a leadership or trainer role. You might save a life.
    Along those lines, the only thing cheaper than a cop, is two cops. Though we require OEM mags, we see our people buying Pro mags for the SIG 320/365 and Magpul and KCI mags for Glocks.

I was taught to stomp or take a hammer to bad GI mags. Not only will people take them out of trash, but Shady arms rooms dudes will take them in and re-issue them.

Here is something I learned a few years ago about malfunction clearance.

Our agency teaches to assess, and we teach; slide locked back = emergency reload, slide fully forward in battery = tap/rack, slide not lacked back, but not in battery (double feed or stovepipe) = lock slide back, strip and discard the mag in the gun, rack slide 3 times to clear the mess, insert new mag, and rack the slide to chamber a round.

One day in training, while doing double feed drills (therefore slide not in battery, but not locked back), A Task Force Officer next to me, was going way faster than anyone else. I finally asked what he was doing to clear the gun so fast. Turns out he was skipping the step of locking the slide back. He went straight to mashing the mag release and stripping the mag.

Later I tried his method for clearing a double feed/stovepipe, about 100 times, by setting a double feed with dummy rounds, and it worked every time.

I'll note, he said he has only tested it with Glocks, and I too have only tested it with Glocks. I also added these https://tangodown.com/vickers-tactic...tes-vtmfp-001/ to all my flush fit mags, to make it easier to strip the mags.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I was taught to stomp or take a hammer to bad GI mags. Not only will people take them out of trash, but Shady arms rooms dudes will take them in and re-issue them.
    We are constantly reminding people to number their mags, so that we can attempt to ID bad mags.

If an FI does ID a bad mag they take it, break it to make unusable, and tell them to request a replacement from the lead FI. Everyone.gets issued 6 pistol mags, and 6 rifle mags, so being down one for a few days shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

Our agency teaches to assess, and we teach; slide locked back = emergency reload, slide fully forward in battery = tap/rack, slide not lacked back, but not in battery (double feed or stovepipe) = lock slide back, strip and discard the mag in the gun, rack slide 3 times to clear the mess, insert new mag, and rack the slide to chamber a round.

One day in training, while doing double feed drills (therefore slide not in battery, but not locked back), A Task Force Officer next to me, was going way faster than anyone else. I finally asked what he was doing to clear the gun so fast. Turns out he was skipping the step of locking the slide back. He went straight to mashing the mag release and stripping the mag.

Later I tried his method for clearing a double feed/stovepipe, about 100 times, by setting a double feed with dummy rounds, and it worked every time.

I'll note, he said he has only tested it with Glocks, and I too have only tested it with Glocks. I also added these https://tangodown.com/vickers-tactic...tes-vtmfp-001/ to all my flush fit mags, to make it easier to strip the mags.
    We were just recently shown this. It works really well with magazines with extensions or longer magazines (Glock 17 magazine in a Glock 19 worked) to give you something to get a grip on. Magazine release, start to pull the magazine out about half way or so, hard re-seat and rack the slid.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Along those lines, the only thing cheaper than a cop, is two cops. Though we require OEM mags, we see our people buying Pro mags for the SIG 320/365 and Magpul and KCI mags for Glocks.
    Fuck me. Tell them they can use them, but only after submitting their epitaph.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    There's still an argument for accessible back-up guns.
    Especially with the current BUG options.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I was shown the “mag off, mag in, rack” technique for stoppages in a RB1 class a couple years ago. At least for Glocks…damned if it didn’t work for everything…every time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Fuck me. Tell them they can use them, but only after submitting their epitaph.
    “But sig mags are expensive and these are $20 at Academy……”

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    When the first clue that you’re in a gunfight is the other guy trying to shoot you and you scramble to get your gun out of the holster, there’s a decent chance you’ll have a compromised grip. Semi-autos are quite sensitive to your grip being proper, whether that’s unlocked wrists, hands making contact with the slide and impeding its travel, or hands inadvertently activating controls like slide locks or mag releases.
    Bad grip, lack of maintenance (lubrication, spring changes, magazine spring changes, etc), a habit of rechambering the same rounds over and over again from excessive administrative handling, insufficient cycling of carry ammunition (vibration, temperature changes, etc will eventually take their toll), and ammunition quality control issues.

That's likely the order of issues that choke duty grade semi-auto handguns in real world use.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

Only from a Givens class, IIRC, not recommended for 1911s. We practiced locking the slide back, ripping. Glocks were said to be amendable to the suggested mashing method. At the NTI, we had a malfunction drill, again IIRC, with a dummy round, I dropped the mag, racked and got a new one. I was critiqued for not just a tap, rack and throwing away ammo. I said, that was how I was taught.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List