Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I expecting too much accuracy from my 10/22 ?

Am I expecting too much accuracy from my 10/22 ?

I have a 10/22 carbine with a factory barrel and Kidd trigger job. That and a Leopold scope are the only modifications.

From the bench at 50 yards, these are my best 10 round group sizes
    - CCI Standard Velocity: 1 inch
    - CCI Mini-Mag: 1.5-2 inch

It's honestly been years since I ever sat down and shot groups from a bench, so I don't exactly remember how much accuracy I should reasonably expect from it. It's just a nagging feeling that it should be better than this because 10 years ago, I shot an Appleseed and did not have an issue getting rifleman patches (better than 4 MOA) shooting in all field positions (no bench) and with iron sights and CCI mini-mag. But that was at 25 yards with reduced scale targets. Does 22LR accuracy drop off this much at 50?

Site Supporter
    That's about what I get with a similar setup. I think that's pretty normal.

Standard carbine barrel? I’d say those are perfectly reasonable groups with pretty good ammunition.

It’s been so long since I shot for groups (or past 25 honestly) that I’d be happy with that at 25.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Pretty typical.
    My original barrel and a lucky lot of ammo would do better, but I have not done as well since that case of ammo ran out.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

A simple and cheap way to tune your 10/22 is to play with the action screw. Some guns like more torque while others like less… only way to find out is to hit the range with a torque wrench and some ammo.

A true 1" 10 shot group at 50 yards with a standard Ruger factory carbine barrel is nothing to sneeze at and I would be quite satisfied with that.

Site Supporter
    If one were to buy an aftermarket barrel, stock, receiver, and parts kit, and assemble their own, would they be likely to improve the accuracy as compared to a standard factory 10.22?

It would be interesting to try a build with a lightweight carbon fiber wrapped barrel, but the cost of buying the parts and building it is quite a bit more than simply buying a basic, complete gun. I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

10 plus years age I bought SS RUGER heavy barrel 10/22.
    With PMC cheap ammo it repeatedly shot 1/2”” 5 shot groups at 50 yards.
    Volquartsen trigger group, Leupold Vari X 2 that I had around. Otherwise stock.
    Sample of 1 do not know what is normal

I bought a Feddersen sporter profile barrel for mine and get 1/2” 5 shot groups at 50 yards with a 1-4 Trijicon scope and CCI SV ammo.

Mine is in a Hogue stock and the barrel is bedded. While on the phone with Feddersen, he said his tests with doing nothing but installing a barrel on the standard carbine and using the barrel band to clamp the barrel down, always shot better than without it. You can of course change triggers and do other mods but if you just swap in a good barrel, accuracy will be there with good ammo.

I've taken a very deep dive down the 22 rimfire rabbit hole. I've shot a lot of groups and watched a lot more.

If you can consistently shoot 1" groups with CCI standard velocity, I would consider it a pretty accurate carbine.

CCI SV is considered one of the worst of the "target" 22 rounds for accuracy. You could probably get better groups by using one of the lesser expensive of the SK or Eley rounds.

User Tag List