Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 LEM First Shot Accuracy (Not the Gun the Shooter)

HK P30 LEM First Shot Accuracy (Not the Gun the Shooter)

Here is the issue I’ve been having lately. My first round from my draw is not nearly as accurate as my follow-up shots. I’m having trouble diagnosing this as a sight picture problem, or trigger manipulation issue on my first trigger press. Any input is appreciated.
    James

Name:  Dot Torture.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by jdavis; 10-22-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: poor typing

I'm interested to know what you figure out as I have the opposite issue. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by descent View Post
    I'm interested to know what you figure out as I have the opposite issue. Good luck.
    Are you running a LEM trigger as well?

We are diminished
    There's no way to diagnose this without more data. How fast as you shooting? How fast are you drawing from the holster? Etc.

The trigger press on an LEM is exactly the same for every shot. If your accuracy is better/worse with the first shot than the rest, you're doing something different for the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Are you running a LEM trigger as well?
    Yes, I also shoot a P30 with the LEM trigger.

In my case, I'm postive I am doing something different after the first shot like ToddG said. I think I know what my issue maybe, I just haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Here is the issue I’ve been having lately. My first round from my draw is not nearly as accurate as my follow-up shots. I’m having trouble diagnosing this as a sight picture problem, or trigger manipulation issue on my first trigger press. Any input is appreciated.
    James

You're showing us a target with all hits.

Your first shot woes may be caused by many things. Presenting the pistol on the first shot involves doing a lot of things, often attempted at speed. Presenting the pistol, finding a sight picture, pulling the trigger. With all that to worry about you may not be paying enough attention to the sights or to the trigger manipulation. Once the gun is out there you may be finding it easier to correct the sight picture after the first shot and maybe you're able to focus more on the trigger pull so you are a little more accurate.

Often I have just the opposite problem...I get my first shot off pretty well because I do a decent press out, but then I anticipate on the second shot or lose my hard focus on the sights resulting in a miss on a 3x5.

Often when I see students with 'first round problems' I try to cross off a few things on the list:

1. Are you getting your final firing grip in the holster, or is the gun getting "seated" in your hand after the first shot?
    2. Are you getting the right amount of finger on the trigger? Especially with the LEM's longer travel, often folks have a hard time getting their finger in the right place, but after that if it's a SA/DA gun they can reach it comfortably. With the LEM if you're working the trigger reset, it would basically function the same way.

The way I would go about it is to do 5-10 one shot draws and see if you are grouping those first shots in the same place. Then do 5-10 controlled pairs and see what the difference is. You may also want to video yourself from the weak hand side and see if you can see your hand shifting or where you trigger finger ends up.

Hope that helps...

James

This is part of why I hate DA SA type guns or long trigger hybrids like the LEM. For many shooters you will either have to slow down on your first round fired or you will have less than the desired accuracy. Its a harder system to learn vs a single trigger pull gun like a 1911 or a Glock.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There's no way to diagnose this without more data. How fast as you shooting? How fast are you drawing from the holster? Etc.

The trigger press on an LEM is exactly the same for every shot. If your accuracy is better/worse with the first shot than the rest, you're doing something different for the first shot.
    Todd-

Thanks for weighing in, I’ve been using this drill to work on my press out and trigger press. So I’m running the gun relatively slow. I haven’t put a timer on it. Best guess from concealment 1.9-2.1 first round 2nd round 0.9-1.2.... I want to say my first round trigger pull has a bit of a stutter while my sights level on the target. Follow-up shots feel fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    You're showing us a target with all hits.

Your first shot woes may be caused by many things. Presenting the pistol on the first shot involves doing a lot of things, often attempted at speed. Presenting the pistol, finding a sight picture, pulling the trigger. With all that to worry about you may not be paying enough attention to the sights or to the trigger manipulation. Once the gun is out there you may be finding it easier to correct the sight picture after the first shot and maybe you're able to focus more on the trigger pull so you are a little more accurate.

Often I have just the opposite problem...I get my first shot off pretty well because I do a decent press out, but then I anticipate on the second shot or lose my hard focus on the sights resulting in a miss on a 3x5.
    TCinVA,

Thank you as well; I think you may be on to something. It takes me a little time to get my sights leveled on target during my press-out. I will take a good look at my press-out during my next range session. I will try to get some video per Dr. No’s recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Often when I see students with 'first round problems' I try to cross off a few things on the list:

1. Are you getting your final firing grip in the holster, or is the gun getting "seated" in your hand after the first shot?
    2. Are you getting the right amount of finger on the trigger? Especially with the LEM's longer travel, often folks have a hard time getting their finger in the right place, but after that if it's a SA/DA gun they can reach it comfortably. With the LEM if you're working the trigger reset, it would basically function the same way.

The way I would go about it is to do 5-10 one shot draws and see if you are grouping those first shots in the same place. Then do 5-10 controlled pairs and see what the difference is. You may also want to video yourself from the weak hand side and see if you can see your hand shifting or where you trigger finger ends up.

Hope that helps...
    Doc,

Thanks I will get some video and see if my hands or trigger finger move on the follow-up shots.

Appreciate all the input

On the draw, take extra time to be certain of a good sight picture. Whenever my first shot accuracy suffers it is usually from rushing the shot.

User Tag List