Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: "This is THE Most Underrated Pistol in 2023" ( The PX4)

I'm with @JCN on this one.

I drank the Px4 cool aide in 2018/2019 and acquired a full size version. I did the G conversion (decock only), installed a LTT trigger job in a bag, put on new sights (which are bitch to change, by the way), bought mags and holsters and put 1500 rounds through it, including a 2-day class with Ernest. (The class was excellent).

At the end of that experiment, I dusted off my old Gen 3 G19 and realized it was a far superior pistol, that I am capable of shooting much better. The Px4 went down the road shortly thereafter.

On the upside, my log book shows zero malfunctions with the Px4. But in a world of excellent pistols, the Px series are meh. I'm all-in on glocks, but f I had to carry a TDA pistol, it would probably be a HK P2000 worked over by LTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster
    So what keeps me from buying one? The whole "underrated pistol" thing is pretty much an admission they aren't getting the market acceptance that guarantees they (and their parts) will still be available in ten years.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    In the interview Ernest said that the px4 has been successful internationally with multiple big contracts and is not going anywhere.
    Yea, that may not have been Ed's greatest comment. I can still readily find parts for my 8045. Beretta's not exactly a Johnny-come-lately.

I find these comments kind of amusing, given the PX4C thread is 427 pages and PX4 Storm Tracker's .45 thread is 57 pages full of goodness. For my own part, since obviously the PX4 isn't ever going to become a micro-9, my wish list to Ernest would be the full treatment on the JXF5F25 (.45 model).

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Did you say $200?!
    I did; believe it or not I picked up my last one right before the pandemic kicked off in earnest in early 2020. Price out the door was around $225 I think, something stupid like that. If I had waited a few weeks I'm sure the price would have been insanely higher..

Edit - to be clear, this was a used gun, not a new one...it wasn't used all that much but it did have some carry wear to the slide. Someone clearly carried this thing for a bit but I guess they decided to go another direction...

Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Yea, that may not have been Ed's greatest comment. I can still readily find parts for my 8045. Beretta's not exactly a Johnny-come-lately.

I find these comments kind of amusing, given the PX4C thread is 427 pages and PX4 Storm Tracker's .45 thread is 57 pages full of goodness. For my own part, since obviously the PX4 isn't ever going to become a micro-9, my wish list to Ernest would be the full treatment on the JXF5F25 (.45 model).
    Fair points. Thanks.

Polarizing... a sign of character

I have noticed that the PX4 Storm line has a polarizing effect frequently.

On one side you have testimonies like Ernest's about setting personal best records with one, carrying one daily and other things in this video. I administrate a Facebook group for the PX4 that has over 24,500 members internationally that love, like or want to learn about this pistol.

On the other side there are many that have just as strong of dislikes for the pistol. This is not only on this forum, but elsewhere too.

Whichever side of the perspective, or a neutral, "just not my cup of tea" disinterest... It is evident that the PX4 has character... to be so polarizing.

I currently have 7 "being used" PX4s that experience none of the issues some have expressed (I have had well over a dozen and get reports from group members around the world)... with around 300,000 rounds through PX4s with reliable, accurate performance.. we like them.

It is a matter of taste, preference and personal fit. But it is evident that this line of pistols has made a splash!

Agree with the above, the PX4 is a very solid handgun. I don’t like it mainly because of the location of the fire control, DA/SA just not what I prefer.

But I’ve said this for a long time when it comes to hardware, any quality modern handgun is fully capable of doing the job if you are. Give me a PX4 and let me train with it for awhile and I’ll be more than competent with it.

We all like what we like, but just because it may not be our favorite doesn’t mean it’s not a darn good gun. Those that fall in line with the extreme fanboy mentality of if it’s not a ….. it’s garbage are usually posers that can barely hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Did you say $200?!
    I have a PX4 full size I traded for a pistol I bought for $200. It was well used with a bunch of scratches on the slide. It mostly sat in the safe for a few years.

Late last year I took it shooting on a whim and couldn't beleive how well I shot it. It has proven to be reliable with hollowpoints and reliable when dry and/or dirty. I then upgraded it with carry levers, a much lighter mainspring, and the LTT RDO cut with a Holosun EPS. That means I spent over 3X what I initially spent on the gun to give it a red dot, and I dont regret it one bit.

It has become my main shooting pistol and full size carry gun. I own a bunch of TDAs with worked over triggers, and I seem to shoot the PX4 just as well or better than any of them, despirlte it having an objectively much "worse" trigger, especially in SA. For the grip I added a single piece of grip tape to the left side.

Only real cons, It is bulkier than I would like for carry due to the thiccness. I also wish it had a metal trigger shoe, and of course better grip texture. It would be so cool if Beretta relaunched the PX4 as a 9mm only Chassis gun that took 92 mags.

PS for anyone looking to upgrade the decocker levers, the carry levers are PERFECT. The factory ones are way too big, and the stealth required too much effort to decock.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    PS for anyone looking to upgrade the decocker levers, the carry levers are PERFECT. The factory ones are way too big, and the stealth required too much effort to decock.
    I wish the carry levers were around (or at least I knew of them) before I got the stealth levers - BUT the stealth levers are really not bad at all. I found the easiest way to use them was with my non-dominant hand. Draw, fire, and as I'm withdrawing the weapon to ready, my off-hand thumb rotates the lever down on the slide. I mean it's right there (along with my shooting hand thumb) but because it's got more leverage and is free-floating...it's a lot easier to push in and put enough force on it to not slip, and rotate it down easier. It's a lot easier to show it than it is to explain it. Once you do it a couple of times it becomes really natural to do it that way, and %99 of the time you'll be shooting two-handed, and won't need to use just your strong hand to decock the gun anyway. Works just fine with the other lever styles as well.

I’ve used my off hand to decock/on safe slide mounted levers for years, going back to my 3913. I don’t like the grip break needed to thumb down the safety or decocker, plus I have a bad right thumb.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

This is a difficult thread because I put off getting the full-sized Px4 9mm for a long time, then WA becomes a 10rd state so the motivation isn’t there anymore.

I was planning on a LGS trip to re-examine the Hk45 again; even though I wasn’t too inspired by shooting the Px4 .45 in the past, maybe I’ll see if there’s one to handle.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List