Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good places to shoot with 150-250 yard range in Northern Virginia

Good places to shoot with 150-250 yard range in Northern Virginia

Hi folks. Been away for a while working on my AK-47 skills. Would like to shoot past the 50 yard limit of NRA HQ and looking for recommendations in Northern Virginia.

Thanks,

Lee
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

Quantico

Range 82

I think there's suppose to be a range at a camping ground west/northwest of Manassas, but I've never been.

One hour away from northern Virginia is 340 Defense, with a 300 yard range. I shot there a lot during its early years, but haven't been there in a while as the rules became more restrictive over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    One hour away from northern Virginia is 340 Defense, with a 300 yard range. I shot there a lot during its early years, but haven't been there in a while as the rules became more restrictive over time.
    I was recently there. The rules were fine insofar as I could tell.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think there's suppose to be a range at a camping ground west/northwest of Manassas, but I've never been.
    It's called The Cove, in Gore VA.

I would not recommend that range.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It's called The Cove, in Gore VA.

I would not recommend that range.
    Literally a trash heap. However, they are building clean, regulated long distance shooting ranges, projected to be done by spring of next year.
    #RESIST

Not quite NOVA area, but there is Peacemaker National Training Center in Gerrardstown, WV. It's an outdoor facility. Their public range as a pistol area, and the a rifle area with 50, 100, and 250 berms. However, you can only shoot from the bench or prone at the public range.
    http://www.peacemakernational.com/

PNTC is an outstanding handgun range, pretty good on the rifle. The big rifle range at PNTC is set up more for formal target shooting than for practical stuff.

I used to be a member at 340 Defense, but not anymore. There just wasn't enough space, and I was tired of having to share a single pistol bay with three other people when I was trying to run barricade drills. I also got to witness a couple of issues of unsafe gun handling. In the past year or so, I've heard that 340 has changed hands, and the new owner has made some changes, but I'm really happy at Peacemaker for now.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

I was considering both 340 Defense and The Cove, so your comments are greatly appreciated.

Dropkick -- PNTC sounds promising an is near enough to be considered. I don't imagine I'll be hitting much beyond 50 yards if I am not prone or on a bench (or some kind of prop), so that is not an issue for me. I can always practice holster draws at NRA HQ which is close to home.

Thanks much guys.
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

Now I am living about 3 miles north of Culpeper, VA. Any good local spots to shoot here? I hear that the former tenant here used to do simunition trainging on the property, but the only shooting I have heard these past few weeks is hunting at some distance.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee

User Tag List