Thread: Cormac McCarthy, passed on.

Cormac McCarthy, passed on.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pulitz...publisher-says

Between Abbey, McCarthy, and perhaps Emerson or Muir, I could potentially describe my expectation of the human experience.

Maybe.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.
    The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others."

We’re losing too many artists and gaining too many charlatans.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

One of my favorite authors. I've read most all of his work.

Recently read "The Passenger" and "Stella Maris" in the past few months.

He will be greatly missed.

R.I.P., good sir.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"You can't stop what's comin'..."

And I'm still traumatized by The Counselor.

RIP.

The audiobook version of Blood Meridian is simply magnificent.

McCarthy will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/pulitz...publisher-says

Between Abbey, McCarthy, and perhaps Emerson or Muir, I could potentially describe my expectation of the human experience.

Maybe.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.
    The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others."

We’re losing too many artists and gaining too many charlatans.
    I haven't read every McCarty book but I need to fix that.

"Trust your fellow man but have a 357 magnum just in case." Edward Abbey

True Story - I needed an after hours search warrant and visited our magistrate at his home. We went to his office and there was a large photo of Edward Abbey. I asked him why he had a photo of Edward Abbey and he was stunned that I had any idea who he was. Turns out the judge was an English undergrad and had done his senior thesis on Abbey.

I do think I've read every Abbey book. "Desert Solitaire" was one of three books on my groom's cake at my wedding (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth were the other two)
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Unhappy

Martin Amis died just recently as well.
    I'm getting to the age where all the artists whose names I recognize, are dead :-(

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

I do think I've read every Abbey book. "Desert Solitaire" was one of three books on my groom's cake at my wedding (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth were the other two)
    That’s a simply fantastic, and wise, trio.

I went to a coworker’s wedding once and the couple swore their vows on a very worn paperback of The Monkey Wrench Gang; goes without saying they’re fun people.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    He wrote so very well. RIP.

Site Supporter
    I read this site almost daily. And I think I need to buy all of McCarthy's books.

https://www.sportsfirings.com/?p=26652
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Hate to hear this. My favorite is No Country for Old Men.

"When you stop hearing 'sir' and 'ma'am' the end is pretty much in sight."

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List