Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Presidential Election 2023

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I voted for Moneypenny as someone who seemed reasonable and noninflammatory.

I wasn’t super impressed with Luigi’s tone, I think he’ll raise the hackles of the BOD and be similarly ineffective as YML.

Remember, the board is all elected so if that’s predominantly what the members want… then you kind of have to work with that framework.
    I understand your concerns. I heard Luigi interviewed on the PSTG Podcast, and he seemed very reasonable and calm. What I liked was his emphasis on financial accountability and transparency.

I'm all for being reasonable and cooperating with the BoD, but I want a President who will abide by the Bylaws and tell the BoD "Sorry, that's not right. We can't do it that way."
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-15-2023 at 07:10 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I understand your concerns. I heard Luigi interviewed on the PSTG Podcast, and he seemed very reasonable and calm. What I liked was his emphasis on financial accountability and transparency.

I'm all for being reasonable and cooperating with the BoD, but I want a President who will abide by the Bylaws and tell the BoD "Sorry, that's not right. We can't do it that way."
    I’m hoping we get that evolution through the upcoming BOD elections!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Although per the blurb, Yee Min refused to do sensitivity training which would have reduced his level of discipline so at least there was an offer on the table.
    No matter what I did, with the promise of Hell before me and forgiveness behind me, I would commit seppuku before I'd ever go to sensitivity training.

I listened to that podcast today. It definitely upped my opinion of Luigi. My top 2 are currently Luigi and Moneypenny. I’ve got until the 15th of next month to make up my mind.

If I was still a member of USPSA, I would vote for Moneypenny.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I listened to that podcast today. It definitely upped my opinion of Luigi. My top 2 are currently Luigi and Moneypenny. I’ve got until the 15th of next month to make up my mind.
    Does anyone know what kind of businesses Luigi runs and what kind of financial background he has? I couldn't find anything concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    No matter what I did, with the promise of Hell before me and forgiveness behind me, I would commit seppuku before I'd ever go to sensitivity training.
    That alone should be enough to vote for YML

Is it better to vote for a candidate who is:

1) a financially experienced, responsible outsider (like Luigi)?
    2) a member of the good old boys club, who will help the BoD sweep their issues under the rug?
    3) a symbolic throwaway vote (YML)
    I think most of us, or at least those who posted in this thread, agree that the initial solution is in cleaning up the BoD. Which one of these three mentioned any that in their agenda? That would be a better vote.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    cleaning up the BoD. Which one of these three mentioned any that in their agenda?
    To some degree, that's not really up the President. Whoever the members elect is who the President gets to interact with.

Full disclosure: I'm Ben Berry, one of the candidates running for Area 6.

That said, the President does have the power to set the agenda for meetings, and run the meetings. For example, interim President and previous Area 8 Ted Murphy declaring the motion out of order to address the fact that the board was and is violating the bylaws by allowing Area 4 to stay on the board when he was considered to have resigned the day he didn't have his RO certification.

Setting the agenda, keeping the meetings on track, and appointing a different Corporate Secretary to take better meeting minutes are the main ways the President can fight the bad behavior of whoever gets elected to the board.

Other than that, things like entering Executive Session are just a vote of the board. As long as 5 of the 9 people want to keep some discussion secret, they can and will. So flipping board seats so the people who want to keep things hush hush are a minority is where the real progress will be made. Voting against entering executive session unless absolutely necessary is one of the ways I would try to improve things if I'm elected.

@Ben B, do you know what Luigi Li’s day job is? He claims to have finance and management expertise, but I can’t find anything online about that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List