Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in early August within 3 hours of Providence, RI

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    @rob_s — what is your enthusiasm level when it comes to fried Ipswich (whole belly) clams and hot lobster roll?

Attachment 105883
    I'm down with all of that!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The White Mountains of NH are definitely worth the easy drive. Flume Gorge at Franconia Notch State Park is gorgeous and a decent hike. Lake Winnipesaukee is worth a visit.
    I've been trying to ecourage that. wanted to stay at the Omni up that way. Wife seems unenthusiastic so far and Omi doesn't take dogs.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm down with all of that!
    In that case:

The aforementioned and pictured Captain Scott’s Lobster Dock in New London, 5 minutes off I-95.

It’s within 3 hours of Providence but in the other direction, about an hour north of Boston - Woodman’s of Essex. If you happen to find yourself in that neck of the woods, there is no finer place in the world.

Since you’ll be in Newport, the clam chowder at The Black Pearl is about the best I’ve ever had. Friends of ours originally from that area had hyped it so much over the years that I was prepared to be disappointed. I wasn’t.

In Providence itself, a great breakfast place is the Modern Diner.

I would be remiss if I didn’t suggest you hit Frank Pepe’s in New Haven for the white clam pizza. It’s nothing less than wonderful.

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  74.2 KB

Honorable mentions for fried clams/lobster roll:

Lenny & Joe’s in Madison, CT

Costello’s Clam Shack in Noank, CT

Newport RI. Stroll America’s Cup Blvd and Thames street and then go for Clam chowder at the Black Pearl restaurant. Walk the Cliffwalk and see the mansions, go to Second beach for beach fun and bikinis. Fort Adam’s State Park for a nice breeze and kite-flying.

You can drive to Little Compton for a nice ice cream; Quaint New England charm. Buy a Don Bousquet cartoon humor book to understand all the RI, Little Compton, Quahog and Cranston-accent jokes.

In Providence there is a lot to do if you know where to look. Federal Hill has some of the best Italian food around. Go to Venda Ravioli during the day. Several good restaurants around the for the evening.

East side has Brown University. Lots of history. (tell them that John Brown founded the school based on money he made out of the slave trade. Just for fun, please record and tell us their reactions later.) Big Alice’s ice cream for some of the best in town. Andreas restaurant on Thayer street has good Greek Food. The Avon Cinema next door has quirky boutique films. Down in the Fox Point area, Al Forno has some phenomenal italian food.
    Last edited by Trigger; 06-14-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Pepe's is not what it used to be. Me, I'm on team Modern Apizza.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    You can do both although I'd strongly advise against taking a car if you're just doing a day trip--you'll spend more time managing your vehicle than seeing the island. There are taxis and shuttle buses and you can rent mopeds and bikes. Most everything is centrally located around the harbor.

You can also fly a 15-minute puddle jumper from Westerly State Airport to Block Island. I'm dating myself but this airport was the basis for the 1990s TV show Wings.
    I thought that was Nantucket.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

Apparently you're right. Still a 15-minute puddle jumper if someone wanted to go that way.

Almost forgot - if you’re a history buff, Plimoth Patuxet (the ridiculous new PC name for Plimouth Plantation) is a great place to visit - it was especially impactful when I was told by our family genealogist after visiting that we are descended from one of the first families (I’m still skeptical until I see proof.) The reproduction Mayflower II is berthed nearby, too and can be toured.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There once was a man…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Pepe's is not what it used to be. Me, I'm on team Modern Apizza.
    JFC, you’ve become the @GJM of clam pizza. Now I have to try this on our next New England jaunt.

User Tag List