Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in early August within 3 hours of Providence, RI

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Any chance that's Captain Scott's Lobster Dock in New London?

Besides the Nautilus Museum and the light house, probably the only reason to visit that region.

Absolutely delicious. I'm a real sucker for Connecticut style lobster rolls.
    You betcha!

It’s not a large Jewish sect, but in the one I belong to, the theological conception of Heaven is a delightful food court and gun range. As you enter, Woodman’s of Essex is the first stand on the right. Captain Scott’s is a the first one on the left.

If lobster is on the menu, I highly highly recommend Fords in Noank (not too far from downtown Mystic). That and Lobster Landing are the best spots in the state in my opinion.

Submarine Force museum in Groton, CT
    New England Aviation Museum in Windsor Locks, CT

NEAM is a gem. They have a B29, plus if you find a docent to accompany you, they will let you play with a restored B29 computerized gunsight. Super cool.

Also I'd suck in the diameter. In CT west of hartford or transiting through boston, expect at least 1 hr of traffic delays to add on to your drive time.
    Last edited by shootist26; 06-13-2023 at 08:18 PM.

no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Block Island. Take the ferry out of either Port Jefferson, RI or New London, CT. Dogs are welcome on the slower ferries and most places on the island. Beaches get crowded but take a moped away from the main drag and feel the stress evaporate.

Pretty interesting history too, Block Island was a rough place in colonial and pre colonial times.

When I went to the S&W Academy for the chemical agent instructor school we arrived in Springfield Saturday evening. We had Sunday to play with so we went to Boston. My pick was the USS Constitution tour and my partner wanted to go to Bull and Finch aka Cheers. It was a solid day.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    When I went to the S&W Academy for the chemical agent instructor school we arrived in Springfield Saturday evening. We had Sunday to play with so we went to Boston. My pick was the USS Constitution tour and my partner wanted to go to Bull and Finch aka Cheers. It was a solid day.
    Pretty similar story. Got sent to a 5 day class in Boston. Arrived late Sunday, left early the following Saturday. Pretty much all work, all week, except class got out mid-day that Friday leaving just enough time to visit one place. So much history to choose from but, if only one was on the table, the Constitution was THE choice. Totally one of my favorite trips.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Block Island. Take the ferry out of either Port Jefferson, RI or New London, CT. Dogs are welcome on the slower ferries and most places on the island. Beaches get crowded but take a moped away from the main drag and feel the stress evaporate.

Pretty interesting history too, Block Island was a rough place in colonial and pre colonial times.
    knowing nothing about ferries...

is there a car ferry or we park and ride? transpo options once we get there? We have small electric kick scooters, think we could bring those over and use them?

I don't care about beach crowds. I'm a Florida native, and I hate the beach*, so if everyone else goes to the beach all the better for me!

*with certain, very limited, exceptions. One of which is the hotel we stay at in Naples where we walk out of our sliding door, onto our lanai, over alittle wooden bridge, and out to the beach umbrella that includes waiter service!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    is there a car ferry or we park and ride? transpo options once we get there?
    You can do both although I'd strongly advise against taking a car if you're just doing a day trip--you'll spend more time managing your vehicle than seeing the island. There are taxis and shuttle buses and you can rent mopeds and bikes. Most everything is centrally located around the harbor.

You can also fly a 15-minute puddle jumper from Westerly State Airport to Block Island. I'm dating myself but this airport was the basis for the 1990s TV show Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    You can do both although I'd strongly advise against taking a car if you're just doing a day trip--you'll spend more time managing your vehicle than seeing the island. There are taxis and shuttle buses and you can rent mopeds and bikes. Most everything is centrally located around the harbor.

You can also fly a 15-minute puddle jumper from Westerly State Airport to Block Island. I'm dating myself but this airport was the basis for the 1990s TV show Wings.
    thanks!

got a little more info googling around, and it looks like all of the ferries allow pets in one capacity or another, and have upcharge fees for bikes and scooters.

Gonna talk to the wife. We go to Newport Folk Fest every year and I've been hearing about Block Island forever. Even found a couple of supposedly pet-friendly hotels so maybe we ferry over and stay a couple of nights. would like to take the ferry out of Newport but we have to pick up the dogs from boarding on the "mainland" so would leave out of the other port, and the high speed sounds like it's a 30 minute ride.

Pack two nights of clothes, scooter from parking to ferry with dogs in backpacks, ride over, stay two nights, spend the one full day scootering about with the pups, reverse the process to get back, stay the last night in Providence, and fly home!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List