Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things to do in early August within 3 hours of Providence, RI

Things to do in early August within 3 hours of Providence, RI

Yes, the summer plans keep changing.

looking for things to do in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Southern New Hampshire, Southern Maine, Eastern New York, etc. Two adults, no kids. We'd leave Newport, RI on Monday and need to be back in Providence on Thursday for my flight out, so two full days in the target area.

once caveat is that we'll have our two 10 lbs Shih Tzus with us. For that reason and a few others we're not going to do Boston or NYC this time.

We will be in our campervan (which can park pretty much anywhere a car can) so we *could* camp if there was a place that as (a) desirable and (b) available at this short notice.

ideally, we'd like to find a decently cool town with a decent hotel ($250-350/night, maybe $400) and some good restaurants, with some "things to do" within a couple hours.

Originally we were planning on going to Livingston Manor, NY (which my wife has been to previously and is familiar with) but plans changed and that's a little further than we want to drive from Providence.

Last year we spent time in the Finger Lakes region of NY and loved it, but again that's a bit far to drive this year.

In a previous thread, I was looking at Portsmouth NH and Portland ME but I think the wife has nixed that.

Name:  2023-06-13 06_17_20-Bing Maps - Directions, trip planning, traffic cameras & more.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  63.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

About an hour SW of Providence is the USS Nautilus and Submarine Force Museum. I last visited many years ago while I was in New London for...uh...work stuff. Pretty interesting if you like that kind of thing.

https://ussnautilus.org/museum-information/

@rob_s — what is your enthusiasm level when it comes to fried Ipswich (whole belly) clams and hot lobster roll?

Name:  IMG_0651.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  71.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Do you have any interest in colonial history and/or the War of Independence? If so, I think you'd enjoy this: https://www.osv.org/event/redcoats-rebels/

Edit: I see now this might not work with your schedule. Perhaps in case plans change again...

Site Supporter
    Mystic Seaport is an easy drive from Newport and a nice way to spend a day, if you're into that type of place. It's one of my favorite places on earth. There's an aquarium in Mystic also (OK, not fantastic) and there are some really fantastic restaurants there too.

The Inn at Stonington is a really nice place to stay and there are some nice restaurants in Stonington too, all within walking distance. Stonington scallops are pretty much the best there are, as far as I'm concerned.

The White Mountains of NH are definitely worth the easy drive. Flume Gorge at Franconia Notch State Park is gorgeous and a decent hike. Lake Winnipesaukee is worth a visit.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Lexington and Concord. While you’re up in that neck of the woods, you can go look at Walden pond.

If you do go to the submarine force museum, you can then go into Groton city, to see Ft. Griswold. That’s where one of the last battles of the revolutionary war took place, during a raid of the area that was commanded by a certain well – known traitor. There is a fairly good museum about the fracas at Ft. Trumbull, on the other side of the river you can also see the land that the city of New London took 15 years ago, after the Kelo decision, and which, really nothing much has happened to, since.

(The battle didn’t go well for our boys).

The only caution is that I-95 has a potential to be a major shit show during the summer.

If you like modern art, MASS MOCA in Adams, MA is in your range. The Bridge of Flowers is on the way there. On the VT-NH line, The Fort at No. 4 is interesting, but it’s not open every day of the week. (And it’s not the original fort.) Deerfield, MA has artsy stuff, and exhibits relating to Queen Anne’s War, and the massacre that took place in the town.

Essex Valley RR, but choose a day when they’re running a steam train.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 06-13-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    @rob_s — what is your enthusiasm level when it comes to fried Ipswich (whole belly) clams and hot lobster roll?

Name:  IMG_0651.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  71.4 KB
    Any chance that's Captain Scott's Lobster Dock in New London?

Besides the Nautilus Museum and the light house, probably the only reason to visit that region.

Absolutely delicious. I'm a real sucker for Connecticut style lobster rolls.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Any chance that's Captain Scott's Lobster Dock in New London?

Besides the Nautilus Museum and the light house, probably the only reason to visit that region.

Absolutely delicious. I'm a real sucker for Connecticut style lobster rolls.
    Looks like it. If you get there too soon after they open, the oil isn’t up to temperature and the food suffers. If you get there later, the line can be brutal.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The Freedom Trail in Boston. https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

https://www.battleshipcove.org/ in Fall River Ma.

Old Sturbridge Village https://www.osv.org/ in Sturbridge, MA.

Mystic Seaport https://www.mysticseaport.org/ in Mystic, CT

Not exactly a destination but if you are in the area worth a look. https://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm Springfield Armory National Historic Site. Springfield, MA.

User Tag List