Thread: Wheeler screwdriver bit set mini review

Wheeler screwdriver bit set mini review

My friend gave me his Wheeler 43 piece driver set. He even threw in their add on metric hex bit set. He got rid of it because the bits weren’t labeled by size. They only had Wheelers individual part #’s stamped on them.

The bits seem good quality and are longer than your typical 1” bit which is nice. I sat down and sized all the metric and standard hex bits as well as the torx bits. I printed a small cheat sheet and taped it inside the box.

One odd thing I found was with the metric hex bits. There were a couple odd ball sizes… 3.5mm and 4.5mm. I’ve never run into fastened that use these sizes?!? I figure that since it’s marketed as PROFESSIONAL GUNSMITH kit, there might be some guns out there that have proprietary screw?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    My friend gave me his Wheeler 43 piece driver set. He even threw in their add on metric hex bit set. He got rid of it because the bits weren’t labeled by size. They only had Wheelers individual part #’s stamped on them.

The bits seem good quality and are longer than your typical 1” bit which is nice. I sat down and sized all the metric and standard hex bits as well as the torx bits. I printed a small cheat sheet and taped it inside the box.

One odd thing I found was with the metric hex bits. There were a couple odd ball sizes… 3.5mm and 4.5mm. I’ve never run into fastened that use these sizes?!? I figure that since it’s marketed as PROFESSIONAL GUNSMITH kit, there might be some guns out there that have proprietary screw?
    Sometimes I think that the same guy in China makes everybody else's screw drivers. Like wise, he may be making many of the screws used by the gun industry. Those among us who pay attention to detail grind bits to fit screws. Box store sets are cheap and serve well here. Recently, I replaced a Ruger single action's gooned screws and messed up one by over tightening. The bit was the correct size. I overlooked that the very large driver handle could multiply mechanical advantage. I know better since I have distorted many screw heads over the years. Anybody here have a nice Browning Auto 5? Don't put it in the same room with your bubba drivers. Send it to the Browning service dept if detail disasembly is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Anybody here have a nice Browning Auto 5? Don't put it in the same room with your bubba drivers. Send it to the Browning service dept if detail disasembly is needed.
    Absolutely buy the specific bits for Browning shotguns from Brownells or grind your own. They are worth their weight in gold with not having to try and source replacement screws because they are screws matched to screws! Not a typo...

User Tag List