Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend dot for USPSA/IDPA?

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I run SRO’s on my competition guns. The SRO has some short comings but for me the pros outweigh the cons, and both of mine are going on four years of steady USPSA shooting. After experimenting with different dot size I tend to prefer bigger dots, something in the 5-6MOA size. For me, that size provides a good balance between being able to pick up the dot quickly and accuracy. For USPSA, we’re talking minute of A-zone accuracy, not bullseye.

You can bump up the intensity of a smaller dot so it is quick to pick up, but for me that tends to create blooming which I find annoying. Whereas with a 5-6MOA dot I can run it a little dimmer for a more crisp dot.

As far as brands, I have Trijicon RMR and SROs, and a couple Holosuns (407k w/ 6MOA and 407CO with 8MOA ring). If Holosun would offer more models with a simple 6MOA red dot I would definitely buy them.
    While waiting on my SRO.. what are the shortcomings that you're mentioning?

Quote Originally Posted by FNG999 View Post
    While waiting on my SRO.. what are the shortcomings that you're mentioning?
    For comp use, the window is reasonably large but not as big as some of the other brands. The bezel is also a little thicker than others, but if you’re target focused that becomes less of an issue. The battery compartment is also a little awkward to unscrew, but there’s a tool somebody sells which makes it a lot easier. Lastly, it didn’t do as well well in Aaron Cowan’s drop test, but I suppose that’s only an issue if you drop it on a hard surface like concrete.

But aside from all that, it’s still my preferred optic.

Another vote for the SRO with 5 minute dot. As someone who spent a LOT of time on a frame mounted CMore 8 minute, the SRO was the Goldilocks just right moment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Lastly, it didn’t do as well well in Aaron Cowan’s drop test, but I suppose that’s only an issue if you drop it on a hard surface like concrete.
    I do not have one, but I like the looks of the Jagerwerks B.R.O.S.
    Not certain I want one on a pistol (I want it to stay as low as possible) but if a person was worried about breaking their SRO it might be a consideration.

User Tag List