Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 vs HK P30

My initial thought is P30S all the way. They're bomb-proof.

That said, in fairness, I decided to at least look up the specs of each again. I was surprised to see the 92X Compact is only ~1.1oz heavier! Now the full size 92 is ~6.5oz heavier, which certainly isn't nothing but, the compact is quite surprising. Damnit, that means I'm going to have to add one to "the list" to pick up in the future (it was inevitable). I think when I do, I'll probably try to find the discontinued non-rail frame model for no other reason than the aesthetics.

For the P30, I'd strongly recommend the GG short reset kit (that's the safety-specific version) and, in particular, the GG straight trigger. Both of those go a long way towards eliminating much of the flex and grit in the pull. If it was me and I was already modding it, I'd also do the nickel sear spring (#215691) and possibly the lighter firing pin block spring (#209296).
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    My initial thought is P30S all the way. They're bomb-proof.

That said, in fairness, I decided to at least look up the specs of each again. I was surprised to see the 92X Compact is only ~1.1oz heavier! Now the full size 92 is ~6.5oz heavier, which certainly isn't nothing but, the compact is quite surprising. Damnit, that means I'm going to have to add one to "the list" to pick up in the future (it was inevitable). I think when I do, I'll probably try to find the discontinued non-rail frame model for no other reason than the aesthetics.

For the P30, I'd strongly recommend the GG short reset kit (that's the safety-specific version) and, in particular, the GG straight trigger. Both of those go a long way towards eliminating much of the flex and grit in the pull. If it was me and I was already modding it, I'd also do the nickel sear spring (#215691) and possibly the lighter firing pin block spring (#209296).

I think what Beretta lists the weight of the 92x compact as, and what it actually is, are two different things. From watching people weigh them, I think the 92 compact is closer to 30-31 ounces.

Now if the 92 compact had a safety/decocker set up like the Cheetah, well then, this case would be closed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I think what Beretta lists the weight of the 92x compact as, and what it actually is, are two different things. From watching people weigh them, I think the 92 compact is closer to 30-31 ounces.

Now if the 92 compact had a safety/decocker set up like the Cheetah, well then, this case would be closed.
    Begs the question, what about an 80X Cheetah?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    On P30 replace trigger spring somewhat before 14,000 rounds. I have had 2 break at that round count.
    Which weight had your trigger return springs? Heavy (V2), medium (V4) or light (V0/1/3)?

Todd Green recommended to replace the trigger return spring even a bit earlier: At 12.5k. He had a (modified) V2 with heavy TRS.

(By hearsay and counter-intuitively, the lighter springs last longer. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking to get more data points.)

Maintenance-relevant data (which I collected from Todd's P30 test)
    Last edited by P30; 06-09-2023 at 01:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    I found that out last fall and unfortunately LTT had just implemented their no cancellation rule. Tried to carry it for a while but couldn't deal with the extra weight pushing on my stuff. 29.1oz empty, 32.3oz with an empty mag.
    Adam

You do know that you can turn any FS style safety into a G style decocker only????
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Which weight had your trigger return springs? Heavy (V2), medium (V4) or light (V0/1/3)?

Todd Green recommended to replace the trigger return spring even a bit earlier: At 12.5k. He had a (modified) V2 with heavy TRS.

(By hearsay and counter-intuitively, the lighter springs last longer. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking to get more data points.)

Maintenance-relevant data (which I collected from Todd's P30 test)
    V1 HK factory light LEM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Based on intermittently training students at CGSC who brought the 92 to class, I vote HK all day long.

The slide mounted safety operates in a counter intuitive manner and can be inadvertently put on when running the slide vigorously after a reload/malfunction.

I fully acknowledge that the “need” for a speed reload in “real” life may be slight.

I fully acknowledge that the 92 is an extremely reliable and well feeding pistol when using quality ammo/magazines and is appropriately lubricated.

Now the frame mounted versions are entirely different kettle of fish.

Heavy enough to be very recoil absorbing + all of the reliability advantages. SAO v DA/SA though.
    I witnessed operator issues with the M9 safety over and over again. Even immediately after instruction on how to take the safety off. Unfortunately I have witnessed the same issue with the M17.

I’m not directing this comment at the OP. He has his reasons for wanting what he wants and he is willing to put in the work to be proficient with it. But in my opinion, a safety on a TDA or LEM pistol is like carrying with an empty chamber. It’s unnecessary and has more potential disadvantages than advantages.

To address the OP’s original question, I have a lot of experience with the 92 platform. The only TDA with a safety experience I have on an HK is the HK45c. I would take the HK every time. It is possible to learn how to work the safety on the 92. In a Langdon class he demonstrated how to sweep the safety like a 1911ish safety. It works really well. I believe there is a video somewhere. The P30 safety is still easier to operate in my opinion.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    In a Langdon class he demonstrated how to sweep the safety like a 1911ish safety. It works really well. I believe there is a video somewhere.
    Here's him demonstrating it on a podcast:
    https://www.youtube.com/live/C8yWZ85...e=share&t=9011
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

^this

Beretta’s listed weights for 92 models are wildly inaccurate. Don’t make decisions based on that info.

User Tag List