Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 vs HK P30

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the responses.

The P30 I tried was a P30s V3. The trigger didn’t feel like it would be unusable, but it was rough. Otherwise, I liked how the gun balanced, the size, the controls, etc. Obviously it felt great in the hand, but that doesn’t equal shooting it well.

The way I was using the 92 safety was the more “1911 way”. Maybe I could hit it every time, but I don’t know. If my thumbs were just a tad longer, and the safety a tad bigger or lower, then I think it would be a non issue.

I saw a Bersa Thunder 9. The safety looked about perfect on it, that safety operates the same way as the Cheetah series. Up on safes/decocks. Wish Beretta did that on a 9mm, the question would be moot.

PX4 storm tracker talked to me about the 92 levers on the PX4. I’m just wondering if they would be any easier than the 92 lever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The P30 I tried was a P30s V3. The trigger didn’t feel like it would be unusable, but it was rough.
    Hmm, that's a bit strange.

I've more than 10k shots experience with V4 and also more than 10k with V3 (with lighter FPS spring).

By "rough", I suppose you mean scratchy in SA and DA (as if the contact surfaces in the trigger mechanism were not polished but rough). I shot a lot with three P30 trigger instances (in two pistols), none of these triggers was scratchy, they were all smooth. But the V3 in SA is a bit mushy, I would prefer an SA trigger which is more crisp (should break more like glass, not like an old carrot).

Was the P30S V3 you tried new or used? Maybe someone did something bad to the trigger mechanism?
    Last edited by P30; 06-08-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    What sorcery is this?

interesting
    Link? Pic?
    https://langdontactical.com/px4-safety-levers-92-style/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I have had multiple examples of both. What are you after and what characteristics are important to you?

Hk p30 are excellent carry/defensive guns. The 92 Gs (Wilson guns and LTT) are easier to extract more performance out of. They are easier to tune and dial in to your preference. The 92s with LTT treatment make them a gun that you could compete with. I have come to prefer the 92s for a da/sa gun. But a p30 is a gun you can buy it and put your preferred sights on and rock on.

I hate to say it but you kind need to spend some time with both of them.

I AIWB carry a P30/P30L and various 92 models. Both pistols are some of the finest ever designed. I really don’t believe one is superior. The lighter P30 feels easier on the belt but the lines of the 92 carries ever so slightly better. If you’ve never owned either pistol I recommend acquiring both. Don’t mess with the P30 trigger until the pistol has at least 1k rounds through it. The springs will lighten up over time. The P30S is a model I’ll just never understand. I run a P30 DA/SA or a 92G variant.

Site Supporter
    This decision is completely subjective. Either option is excellent. My 92G has a fantastic trigger. I bought the pistol used and put a Wilson trigger bar in it. I've never handled a LTT TJIAB pistol, but I presume one would be somewhat better than what I have, which would make it amazing. My PX4 (G configuration) triggers are also great. For non-1911s, I don't think anyone makes production guns with better triggers than Beretta and getting even more better triggers is not difficult or particularly expensive.

Having said that, if I had to pick, I'd choose the P30. Mine is a V3 (no safety). It feels a better in hand to me than the Berettas and I like shooting it more. The trigger is not as nice as the Berettas, but I don't notice it when shooting. Releasing the mag during firing or carry is less likely than with a conventional mag release button.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I think we need to get a few of these into your hands. Just say when.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The 92 and PX4 have become my favorite shooting platforms. However, I would not recommend them for carrying with a manual safety as the safety does not "automatically" come off as you acquire your grip. I think a traditional frame safety is simply better. I don't have experience with the P30 except for LEM. Now I hope you will indulge some thread drift:

Are you wanting to carry cocked and locked or cocked and decocked?

If the former, I would recommend taking a look at offerings from CZ. I started out carrying everything Conditition 1, specifically with CZ clones and then CZs. The manual safety ergos are very good, the triggers are good out of the box (compared to a P30), and easy to make better. They are also very affordable, particularly right now with CZs crazy sales that gave followed their acquisition of Colt. Did I mention they are half the price of a 92 or p30 to get cut for a red dot?

If the latter, I would highly suggest you reconsider, and just commit to either Condition 1 or Condition 2 carry. I started out carrying Condition 1 because I thought it was the "safest". Over time Ive come to realize Condition 2 actually prevents a greater variety of potential NDs. It also has all the benefits of a manual safety if you get used to thumbing the hammer whenever you are off target. Condition 2 is really really safe.

I can’t write too much right now, but if I had to pick between the two it would be a toss up - for me the Beretta has a better DA trigger, but the P30 is an easier carry. I am using slightly different variants - medium heavy LEM for the P30s and decocker for the 92C. I also have one P30LS that I converted to LEM, and I’ve always thought that would be the ideal variant for you.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Thanks all for this continued great response.

I have decent amounts of experience with every type of action, though not as much with DA/SA with a safety.

If I’m going to carry AIWB, then I want multiple layers of safety. That means either a grip safety/thumb safety combo, a DAO thumb safety combo, or a TDA thumb safety combo.

If I had to pick one gun that I could probably pick up after a very long hiatus, and within 20-50 rounds, be back to doing rather well with the gun, it would be the P-07. Unfortunately, it does not have a thumb safety TDA combo.

There are a number of reasons I seek what I seek. A list would include, but is not limited to:

Hiking where debris get all over me and the holster
    Off body carry (not ideal, I know)
    AIWB
    Admin handling
    Safer around none gun people (it’s part of the safety solution, far from THE solution. That would be a secure gun.)
    Better defense against a gun takeaway in a fight
    Less chance of ND/AD. The amount of poor gun handling I see is amazing. Makes me self conscious!

User Tag List