Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 vs HK P30

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    While I understand someone thinking TDA combined with a safety is overkill, I disagree. It's not for everyone, and oddly enough, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for new shooters, unless they had extensive training with that system.
    I have backslid a bit WRT my own Beretta G conversion "conversion" (that sounds grammatically incorrect, but I'm letting it stand). Some situations suggest that both belt AND suspenders are prudent.

While the P30 has only recently become of interest to me, it is about the only thing that I find tempting outside of the Beretta TDA's. Beretta 92 vs HK P30 would be a hard choice for me were I willing to start again from scratch.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Beretta:

Nice trigger and it can easily be improved by the end user
    Plenty of support
    Lots of copies around

Heavy
    Not as easy to conceal
    I’m not sure I can consistently take the safety off. Maybe a vertec grip would make me more consistent in doing so?

It is heavy, but I conceal one 10 hours a day under a golf shirt (AIWB or IWB). Good holsters are the key. JMCK for AIWB or Sparks for IWB.

Safety, as someone posted, push forward and it springs up. I carried one on safe back in the day and had no difficulty.

What you didn't mention:

You need to work on decocking after the shot. With an FS: safety off, fire one, decock, and get the safety lever back up. Do that drill 100 times and you'll be looking for a G model. Save yourself the $50 for a G kit and the pain of installing it and go straight to a G model.

I would stay away from Gallatin made pistols. My LGS got in a bunch of Berettas and a few had to go right back, others had to go back after customers shot them. Either this was extremely bad luck or their final QC totally sucks.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I just picked up a 92 compact and it is a bit smaller than the P30 I normally carry. However it is still a bit heavier. It runs great and is accurate. It comes with mec gar mags. Something to consider in such an experiment.

Vedder makes good holsters for the compact.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I just picked up a 92 compact and it is a bit smaller than the P30 I normally carry. However it is still a bit heavier. It runs great and is accurate. It comes with mec gar mags. Something to consider in such an experiment.

Vedder makes good holsters for the compact.

Which compact is it, 92x/2FS/railed-no rail compact

How much smaller? Handgun hero gives a pretty good picture of it, but you having it hand is even better.

Thank you.

Carried the M&P 2.0 with manual safeties for 3 years, and found that it was fairly easy to knock the safety off. Granted, I work outdoors, carry appendix, and FREQUENTLY lift things to about the waist.

Went to the 1911, a commander in 9mm. It's been my EDC for going on 5 years now. In a Tenicor Certum3 or JM, the safety has never been knocked off.

About November '21, I got interested in Berettas again, with the 92X series. I've got a full size X, 2 X Centurions, and an M9A1 [fs]compact. I've been experimenting with the compact as far as carry for the last month, and both the JM original Appendix, and the 2.0 do a great job of making it easy to conceal and in displacing the weight.

The Berettas are wider than the 1911.
    Weights are about the same, + a few ounces.
    The flush mags in a compact help hide the butt, but, carrying the Centurion would also be easy with both said holsters. The Centurion is actually lighter empty, and if using the finger rest mags in the Compact, they are the same length.
    Stock triggers can be heavy and stagey, but LTT parts and pieces correct that. Actually, the X's are coming with the 16# D hammer springs installed, which isn't that bad. Add a Wilson or LTT Trigger bar, and it's not a bad carry option.
    Beretta offers a flush hammer.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-92x-centurion

I'm probably 20 years behind the times in carrying a Beretta, but like the OP, I like the added safety of the TDA design. LTT can add an optic to any Beretta now, that is head and shoulders better, and LOWER than the RDO offering from Beretta.

I cannot comment on a HK, as I've never handled or owned.

Pictures for comparison. The FS compact, and the Centurion X, after a trip to LTT for the optic cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by CSW; 06-09-2023 at 07:36 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Which compact is it, 92x/2FS/railed-no rail compact

How much smaller? Handgun hero gives a pretty good picture of it, but you having it hand is even better.

Thank you.
    92 x.

The slide and barrel lengths are similar. The difference is in grip area.

When I stack the two, the bottom of the magazine on 92 compact (92x) is about a pinky width shorter. However the mec gar mags have a contoured base plate for larger hands to get a three finger grip… and at the front of grip area it is still shorter but not enough to make a difference.

Site Supporter
    Based on intermittently training students at CGSC who brought the 92 to class, I vote HK all day long.

The slide mounted safety operates in a counter intuitive manner and can be inadvertently put on when running the slide vigorously after a reload/malfunction.

I fully acknowledge that the “need” for a speed reload in “real” life may be slight.

I fully acknowledge that the 92 is an extremely reliable and well feeding pistol when using quality ammo/magazines and is appropriately lubricated.

Now the frame mounted versions are entirely different kettle of fish.

Heavy enough to be very recoil absorbing + all of the reliability advantages. SAO v DA/SA though.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I love my PX4. Just as a data point, Langdon decocks with his support hand (both the 92 and the PX4); you may want to experiment with that.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Vending Machine Operator
    This is a Sophie's Choice thread for me. It's hard to pick among beloved babies.

I think the PX4 is the hybridized combination of the two, but OP says not that one, so okay.

92 is the most pleasant shooting experience of the two by far. Heavy, accurate, minimal recoil, glass breaking SA trigger, lovely. Also very reliable and very tough.

But the P30 is next-level tough and reliable, even by the standards of poly pistols that is one proven, PROVEN platform.

It might be reductive or dumb but I feel like the best way is just to shoot each a bunch and decide which one makes the most sense to your brain/hands/trigger finger. I don't think you can go wrong.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

On P30 replace trigger spring somewhat before 14,000 rounds. I have had 2 break at that round count.

User Tag List