Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 vs HK P30

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Early on in the thread there were a few comments on D model 92s (the DAO model). As these are no longer commonly available, what would be involved in taking a modern 92 to double action only?
    Remove the sear and sear spring

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Early on in the thread there were a few comments on D model 92s (the DAO model). As these are no longer commonly available, what would be involved in taking a modern 92 to double action only?
    I just removed the sear and sear spring from my 92X compact. With the Langdon trigger bar and a 12lb hammer spring, I have a gun that cracks harder european primers and has a 6lb DA trigger that has zero clicking/hitching/stacking whatsoever. It's just smooth as glass up til the shot breaks.

I'm a pretty huge fan so far and I think as a carry pistol it has a lot to recommend it. Namely that I can carry a pistol that requires a deliberate trigger press and is easy to stop shooting should the situation change.

The USP compact has a better trigger (if you get the right parts), a better safety location (because the beavertail isn't as close to the slide), and a more square grip than the P30. It will also conceal a little better.

Downsides are it's not as blended as the P30 so a little more discomfort carrying and if you have big hands and use the flat mag floor plates your pinky can slide off the grip. Recoil is a little more snappy. I think they are more expensive as well.

But it's a really good gun especially for the time frame they were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The USP compact has a better trigger (if you get the right parts), a better safety location (because the beavertail isn't as close to the slide), and a more square grip than the P30. It will also conceal a little better.

Downsides are it's not as blended as the P30 so a little more discomfort carrying and if you have big hands and use the flat mag floor plates your pinky can slide off the grip. Recoil is a little more snappy. I think they are more expensive as well.

But it's a really good gun especially for the time frame they were introduced.
    I don't know about now, but both of my USP compacts ('90's vintage) have DA triggers closer to being dragged across an ungraded dirt road compared to any of my P30's- by comparison, they make the P30 feel like my Pythons in DA.

Not that it really matters at speed, and when I carried the USPC I carried them cocked and locked anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Do the grip side panels ever have any play in them? Even the least little bit. Thanks in advance.
    No, the grip panels have no play. I have two P30 pistols and fired 'em 12.3k and 8.0k shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Though, it's pretty common for the backstraps to have a little side to side play, which is annoying.
    The backstraps of my P30 pistols don't have side play.

If you want a LEM then a USP Compact or P30 are your guns (you can add a safety to a USP Compact LEM if that is what you want). Some people love the feel of the P30 in the hand. I prefer the older USP.

If you want a DA/SA gun my personal opinion is that the Beretta 92 is a much better platform. The LTT TJIB with a factory "D" hammer spring is a darn nice trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I just removed the sear and sear spring from my 92X compact. With the Langdon trigger bar and a 12lb hammer spring, I have a gun that cracks harder european primers and has a 6lb DA trigger that has zero clicking/hitching/stacking whatsoever. It's just smooth as glass up til the shot breaks.

I'm a pretty huge fan so far and I think as a carry pistol it has a lot to recommend it. Namely that I can carry a pistol that requires a deliberate trigger press and is easy to stop shooting should the situation change.
    The 92D (or a modded 92 with DAO as discussed) makes a huge amount of sense to me as a duty and home defense/nightstand gun. It's a great combination of both shootability an ability to get off the trigger, and not having to decock when holstering that keep them relevant today, at least for me. Much of Darryl Bolke/Dagga Boy's LEM discussion article is applicable to a 92D as well.

The Beretta 92 provides a great value proposition, as well as its intrinsic goodness. I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile for buyers to carefully compare pricing of a P30 with a 92, even with factoring in a LTT TJIB. Magazine prices as well.

I'm fortunate enough to have both-a 92D and a P30L LEM, and both are staples of my defensive matrix. I'm comfortable and confident in using either gun in any of my shooting/defensive venues.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The 92D (or a modded 92 with DAO as discussed) makes a huge amount of sense to me as a duty and home defense/nightstand gun. It's a great combination of both shootability an ability to get off the trigger, and not having to decock when holstering that keep them relevant today, at least for me. Much of Darryl Bolke/Dagga Boy's LEM discussion article is applicable to a 92D as well.

The Beretta 92 provides a great value proposition, as well as its intrinsic goodness. I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile for buyers to carefully compare pricing of a P30 with a 92, even with factoring in a LTT TJIB. Magazine prices as well.

I'm fortunate enough to have both-a 92D and a P30L LEM, and both are staples of my defensive matrix. I'm comfortable and confident in using either gun in any of my shooting/defensive venues.

Best, Jon

I remember someone on a forum, maybe here even, years ago talking about carrying a 92D with the safety levers still useable. This guy carried “on safe” best that I can remember.

A 92D (especially if you can get the trigger to around 6#) with the safety lever from the 92x performance would probably be a dream type gun for me to use AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I remember someone on a forum, maybe here even, years ago talking about carrying a 92D with the safety levers still useable. This guy carried “on safe” best that I can remember.

A 92D (especially if you can get the trigger to around 6#) with the safety lever from the 92x performance would probably be a dream type gun for me to use AIWB.
    There actually was a 92DS-a 92D with a fully functioning manual safety- produced by Beretta; there reportedly were only about 1,000 made.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I don't know about now, but both of my USP compacts ('90's vintage) have DA triggers closer to being dragged across an ungraded dirt road compared to any of my P30's- by comparison, they make the P30 feel like my Pythons in DA.

Not that it really matters at speed, and when I carried the USPC I carried them cocked and locked anyway.
    There were some small changes in the USP and HK45 models through the 2000's. This is from memory so I may get this wrong as a did all this years ago. There was a sear change, add a nickel plated sear spring, light firing pin safety spring, light TRS, hammer spring, and if you can find it a match hammer (slightly improves single action). The new sear was a universal replacement on all USP pistols I think and it made the big diference in DA. Had a smaller engagement surface(s) on some parts.

User Tag List