Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reusable Ice Packs for Coolers

Reusable Ice Packs for Coolers

So we have the threads for coolers covered. We now need a thread for reusable ice packs. Post up what works for you, what you like, dislike, etc. Hard packs or the thinner "envelope" style packs? Any particular gel or other composition that stands out?

I have several that I saved from my ex-wife's prescription shipments due to the Igloo blue gel packs from WalMart or Academy ending up always leaky and making a mess. They're mostly just gel packs but are different sizes and composition which is both good and bad for cooler use.

These Nordic Gel Packs seem to work pretty well as far as endurance but they are kinda fat and hard to place. I probably had close to a dozen of these Nordic packs but I've trimmed down to only a couple I think.

I also have a large semi rigid long rectangular block that came in one of her shipments. Can't find a link. I tossed probably a couple of dozen of these because I just didn't have the freezer space to keep them. They work quite well but are bulky, heavy and take up too much room in the freezer and ice chest. These are different from gel packs. They aren't hard but aren't soft sided like gel packs either. They may be a gel infused foam of some sort sealed up in heavy plastic like a normal gel pack. When not frozen you can squeeze them but they return to shape. They are a commercial product for shipping refrigerated prescription drugs and similar items.

I just snagged some of these Cooler Shock Packs to use in my Akasko Cooler Bag that I take to the range. How well they work is yet to be determined as I just filled them and put them in the freezer.

What seems to work for you?

Name:  IMG_8270.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  14.8 KB

I have three of these, $20 each from Walmart. They maintain pretty well in my experience

For my small day cooler/lunch box, I just use frozen water bottles, you can always drink them as they thaw. For a bigger cooler, longer outings or I'm taking a fish cooler, I'll stop at one of those self-serve ice shacks. 20 pounds around here is usually $3.50. Pro tip, take a 5 gallon bucket to catch and transfer the ice so you don't have to unload/load a heavy cooler.

Great idea!
    cooler thread in question

I have two of these that I've had for over 2 years but haven't used.
    Cooler Shock Ice Packs
    I bought them originally to use for cooling down the RV refrigerator. We were getting some meds in the mail for a couple of years that came with disposables so we just kept using those.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I also keep several frozen two liter bottles in the chest freezer to use as needed

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I also keep several frozen two liter bottles in the chest freezer to use as needed
    Same. Thicker walled bottles are good for this. I like Gatorade bottles.

Also good for pre-chilling a cooler. No one wants to buy a bag of ice just to chill the cooler. I'll toss in my frozen water bottles the night before a trip then swap them out with bags of ice before departure

I have some of the Cooler Shock packs that I sometimes use in large coolers when I want to keep something cold, without dunking it in ice/water. They work pretty well, but I think I overfilled one, and it did leak a bit at one point. Cleaned it up and replaced the cap, and its been fine since.

I use smaller packs from various places in my work lunch box. The very thin small ones don't last very long in the summer heat. I found the ones I like best at a US Foods restaurant supply store, and they are a bit thicker and keep cold longer.

+1 on thicker-walled beverage bottles filled with frozen water. I always have a couple in the freezer for added thermal mass and in case the power goes out. They're ready to go for cooler use and save on space as you can drink the nice, cool water as they thaw.

Paired with a 12-volt cooler like a Koolatron they work pretty well.

Site Supporter
    Just bought two Yeti 4 lb ice packs to use in my 18 soft cooler. They work. No complaints. Those two should keep a 75L cooler cold. I’ll invest in some smaller ones one day.

I am in the frozen bottle camp. My main use for a cooler is drinking water and maybe lunch at the range, occasionally giving or getting an interesting dish from a friend. I don't need a lot of capacity.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List