Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Snubs - Expert's Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    You can do you… but I’m not a fan of just shoving a gun in a pocket.

My holsters, to include cargo pocket holsters, give me a consistent weapon position to draw from. That is… butt up, muzzle down and sights forward. J-frame in a cargo pocket is going to end up with the sights down, and depending on movement… could have the barrel facing forward or backward. Now you draw blind, and have to play blind man to grip the gun… then start your draw.

I carried a 640 in the right front pocket for 8 or 10 years as daily carry including while doing carpentry and construction work, no holster, and with a speed loader in the pocket with it. The speed loader seems to help keep the gun positioned. I rarely had to adjust the guns position, mostly when crawling around in a crawl space or somethings similar. I started using a milk jug plastic holster some, but mainly to reduce pocket wear, I prefer without. I havent tried cargo pockets, I wore carhartt canvas work pants most of the time.

I retired the 640 when I got a 1980s Colt Agent, which I carry the same way.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Your last paragraph, brings to mind the possibility of giving a back up snub to a family member.
    I've usually handed off my belt gun and left myself with the pocket BUG. Not for any real - or at least consistent - reason, just how it worked out in the moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    You can do you… but I’m not a fan of just shoving a gun in a pocket.

My holsters, to include cargo pocket holsters, give me a consistent weapon position to draw from. That is… butt up, muzzle down and sights forward. J-frame in a cargo pocket is going to end up with the sights down, and depending on movement… could have the barrel facing forward or backward. Now you draw blind, and have to play blind man to grip the gun… then start your draw.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is EXTREMELY important for the gun to be in the same position, always.

Otherwise you’re liable to be fumbling to get the right grip at the critical moment.

The pockets on some of my cargo shorts are downright cavernous. After a while, a loose J-frame is liable to go muzzle-up.

I find it amusing that some of the comments from some of the "snubs are a no-go" look as if the writer never read one sentence of what I wrote.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

"It is EXTREMELY important for the gun to be in the same position, always".

Why is it that there isn't a problem when shifting between Eastern, Western, and Continental grips on each stroke when playing tennis?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post

Why is it that there isn't a problem when shifting between Eastern, Western, and Continental grips on each stroke when playing tennis?
    Because it’s a tennis racquet, not a gun, and the point about the gun being in a consistent position for the draw isn’t a comparable issue to deliberately adjusting your grip during a tennis rally or point.

Grip shape is somewhat similar, hand positioning is just as critical (perhaps more so), and you have to do it far more often and just as fast when playing tennis.

Site Supporter

Grip shape is somewhat similar, hand positioning is just as critical (perhaps more so), and you have to do it far more often and just as fast when playing tennis.
    Ok, I try to stay respectful and not bait people I to arguments, but, these are two of the dumbest comments I've read in a long time. We're not playing tennis here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I believe a DAO snub is superior to an auto for spontaneous ECQF.

I’m curious what your belief is based on?

That's true. Pro level tennis is more difficult. Takes about 30 hours per week for several years to become proficient.

User Tag List