Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snubs - Expert's Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Ive considered converting my 2" 60 to 9mm. My 642 is wadcutter only gun. I just dont know how long I would have to shoot 9mm from it to justify the cost of the conversion. I would guess I shoot between 500-1000 a year so not sure its worth it.
    For me, I knew I would be in an agency for the next 20 years that issued 9mm. Add in wanting to standardize on 9mm (J-frame, P938 and now, Glocks)… it was an easy decision. Only non-9mm gun I regularly carry is a LCP Max (.380). And that is because I cannot find a 9mm in that size.

But the performance factor was also a nice benefit. I still have a matched .38 cylinder, all of which done in NP3 Plus… which allowed for easy/fair comparison.

Hammertime
    Snubs suck. There, I said it.

They aren't all that small, their capacity is pathetic and they are hard to shoot well.

Their advantages as I see it are:

1. Heavy trigger for holsterless carry.
    2. Curved rear is nice for pocket draw.
    3. Can be had in ballistically stout loads, but you pay for that.
    4. Easy administrative handling.

But they suck.

My sentiment is that they are an expert's gun past 5 yards, but they're like a cheat code at contact distance. Arm's length and in, a Glock, etc., is an expert's gun.
    Name:  J frame meme2.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  62.2 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    My sentiment is that they are an expert's gun past 5 yards, but they're like a cheat code at contact distance.
    I have never heard it put quite that way, but something within spitting distance was opined by local "suit and tie" gun toters. Get-off-me (with exclamation points) guns have always been a thing. The short sight radius matters less to me now that my eyesight sucks, but in any event, snubs in general need better sights to make the most of what can be done when they are coupled so closely.

At this point in time, S&W seems impervious to sensible line additions, so I would like to see a Ruger SP101 snubbie in .22 LR (8 round) or .22 Magnum (7 round), with a spurless hammer and Novak-style front and rear drift-able sights. Add a set of CTC LG-303 grips and that would suit me quite nicely.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Pocket guns are, for me, when there are constrained circumstances. I tried some pocket semis but:

1. A Taurus PT-22 - never ran and would eject whole rounds, start to load a round and it closed on the round bending the live round in air.

2. A Kahr PM-9, jammer even after break in period. Some work, mine didn't.

3. A Glock 42, first run - absolute horror, jammed on the first round fired, fired out of battery with fire and smoke out of the ejection port (EEK!). Went back and seems reliable but still is good for a jam or two in a 50 round mini match. Won't drop free a mag when empty most of the time. Also, the grip isn't that great for a pocket grasp.

Thus, I put up with the J frames for their necessitated carry events and try to learn to shoot them. Easy to grasp, conceal in the right pants.

Yeah, they might suck but most pocket guns do, IMHO. I found some of the other new semis just a touch to big when checking them out at the LGS.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Ive considered converting my 2" 60 to 9mm. My 642 is wadcutter only gun. I just dont know how long I would have to shoot 9mm from it to justify the cost of the conversion. I would guess I shoot between 500-1000 a year so not sure its worth it. I also worry that accuracy would suffer and I enjoy shooting my 60 from contact to 25+ yards and accuracy is important to me.
    I converted a 327 Night Guard to 9mm so it can run 357 and 9mm.

8 shot N frame goodness with a 2.5” barrel.

Thought about doing it to a J frame…

But the LCR9 has a better trigger, better ballistics than a converted 357 to 9 cylinder and pretty tame to shoot.

Plus 9mm has a range of loads. From powder puff gamer loads to spicy potatoes.

So the LCR9 has become my Goldilocks revolver.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I ought to look at an LCR9. But hell, if I'm going to carry a gun that needs a separate feeding/holding device for cartridges, I might as well just suck it up and carry a S&W Shield.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I ought to look at an LCR9. But hell, if I'm going to carry a gun that needs a separate feeding/holding device for cartridges, I might as well just suck it up and carry a S&W Shield.
    I think of it like a disposable, low profile speed loader.

For those that like to shoot .32 H&R Magnum, the Federal 85gr load is finally available again, along with Federal .327 Magnum 104gr HST. Not cheap tho. Available on the Federal website as well as other online vendors.

The Underwood .327 Magnum 95gr Xtreme Defender load doesn't have a punishing felt recoil when shot out of an LCR. Velocity is 1200+ fps.

At the end of the day, whether an expert's gun or not I really don't care. However, what is cool is all the love these small revolvers are getting and how much fun folks are having with them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List