Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kayak (sit-on-top, I think) Recomenations

Went out again today, one of the local state parks on the Intercoastal. It was pretty brutal. Zero shade, just out in the open water. Got a later start than I wanted and only wound up doing about 1.25 hours. Paddled past one of our construction sites so that was kind of entertaining. oddly, while I was doing it and even when I was getting back in the car, I was kind of thinking "why the hell did I do this?" but now that I'm home and rested up a bit and rehydrated and fed and it's a few hours later, I'm looking forward to going again.

On the gear side, definitely want to get a compass. Just feels better and I can't rely on the phone or apple watch 100%.

Also some water shoes. I like being barefoot but there were spots today that it was easier to get out and walk and tow the kayak with the paddle. The water was so shallow you couldn't get the paddle fully into it without hitting the bottom.

Yeti bottle I bought worked out good. I actually got two, and brought one with me and left the other in he truck with some ice water in it. That was a NICE treat when I got back.

Might need to figure something out with that phone case. it's ok for what it does, but if you want to actually use the phone it's kind of a pain. not sure if there's better options. I feel like it needs to float, and I like having the lanyard. I put the lanyard around my neck and the phone in the front pouch of the life jacket and that part works out phenomonally. Just can't really use the phone that great while it's in that case. When I thought I was a little lost I wound up having to take the phone out of the case at one of the beaches.

Pressing on, and looking for where I'm going to go next Friday.

oh, and I'm definitely getting a feel for features I want when/if I buy my own.
    • adjustable foot pegs, not molded in
    • no string around the outside of the boat
    • interior storage, but also bungie nets
    • water bottle cutout that holds a decent sized bottle
    • some means (gotta learn what that might be) of better tracking. these little 10ft rental boats are like pingpong balls.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    My friend Michelle has had great luck with her Kaku Kayak. She's an avid fisherwoman.
    https://kakukayaks.com/

Her code "Blueline" is good for 5% off.

I like the kayak because I'm big boned and a regular paddle board is way too tipsy for me (especially after a few beers)...
    so I am still really intrigued by these. Particularly the Zulu model where the deck is slightly recessed.
    https://kakukayaks.com/products/kaku-zulu

I like the idea of it being both a paddle board and a kayak.

What I'm not so sure about is the seat being so high above he water. One thing I like about kayaking is that you're less of a sail. Also reaching down to paddle also doesn't seem ideal.

They kind of seem more like a paddle board you can sit on than a kayak you can stand up on. I think I'd want the latter but I'm not certain and I'm still intrigued by them.

Watched a kid in a fishing kayak today that sat up higher than his paddle buddies, and he was struggling more than they were.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Went out again today, one of the local state parks on the Intercoastal. It was pretty brutal. Zero shade, just out in the open water. Got a later start than I wanted and only wound up doing about 1.25 hours. Paddled past one of our construction sites so that was kind of entertaining. oddly, while I was doing it and even when I was getting back in the car, I was kind of thinking "why the hell did I do this?" but now that I'm home and rested up a bit and rehydrated and fed and it's a few hours later, I'm looking forward to going again.

On the gear side, definitely want to get a compass. Just feels better and I can't rely on the phone or apple watch 100%.

Also some water shoes. I like being barefoot but there were spots today that it was easier to get out and walk and tow the kayak with the paddle. The water was so shallow you couldn't get the paddle fully into it without hitting the bottom.

Yeti bottle I bought worked out good. I actually got two, and brought one with me and left the other in he truck with some ice water in it. That was a NICE treat when I got back.

Might need to figure something out with that phone case. it's ok for what it does, but if you want to actually use the phone it's kind of a pain. not sure if there's better options. I feel like it needs to float, and I like having the lanyard. I put the lanyard around my neck and the phone in the front pouch of the life jacket and that part works out phenomonally. Just can't really use the phone that great while it's in that case. When I thought I was a little lost I wound up having to take the phone out of the case at one of the beaches.

Pressing on, and looking for where I'm going to go next Friday.

oh, and I'm definitely getting a feel for features I want when/if I buy my own.
    • adjustable foot pegs, not molded in
    • no string around the outside of the boat
    • interior storage, but also bungie nets
    • water bottle cutout that holds a decent sized bottle
    • some means (gotta learn what that might be) of better tracking. these little 10ft rental boats are like pingpong balls.
    I have some OluKai Moku Pae boat shoes, I like them a lot. I’m mostly flat footed and they have a little more arch support than I like but not so much that it bothers me. They’re super breathable and great at draining water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have some OluKai Moku Pae boat shoes, I like them a lot. I’m mostly flat footed and they have a little more arch support than I like but not so much that it bothers me. They’re super breathable and great at draining water.

I'm a big Olukai fanboy. Flip flops, several pairs of the shoes...

But in this case I'm looking more for something you wear in the water on purpose more so than something that drains if/when it gets wet.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm a big Olukai fanboy. Flip flops, several pairs of the shoes...

But in this case I'm looking more for something you wear in the water on purpose more so than something that drains if/when it gets wet.
    Ah fair enough. These work well when putting in and loading up at the boat ramp. And the soles were thick enough to protect my feet when I jumped into a marshy area near a dock to tie up. My legs got scraped up by whatever was in that water but my feet didn’t. They did let a lot of sediment in though so my feet were gross.

User Tag List