Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kayak (sit-on-top, I think) Recomenations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I found this informative.

The getting in/out, particularly if capsized, is something I think I intuitively gravitate towards. I wouldn’t likely paddle the inter coastal on a weekend when the jetski jackasses are out in force, but getting tipped is still a good possibility.

The boats that Les posted are particularly attractive because of the added stability and design that allows for standing up to get a better view. A hybrid paddle board/kayak. Being able to stand up to see further as well as see down into the water better is an attractive concept.

I’ll have to see if the local place here has both in and on. Most of the rental places I’ve seen have all be on, presumably for some of the reasons covered in the video.

That's a really good video and covered the salient points very well. I was thinking of a similar bicycle comparison just before he made the same on, except I was thinking road bike vs mountain bike.

TBH, while I like both, if I were going to have just one AND surf boating wasn't in the mix, I would get the sit-in due to the improved efficiency and mobility. The sit-ons I've used (and now own) just feel sluggish for anything more than tooling around a lake or slow river while fishing. The sit-ins are better if you have some place to go and want to get there.

Fishing from a kayak is great fun, btw. Something about being that close to the water, practically in it, while catching fish just makes it more fun, especially when you hook something that can pull you around a bit. Speaking of which, if fishing is on the menu, get a small anchor and 10-20' of anchor line so you don't drift as much while fishing a honey hole or something. Small grapnel anchors are cheap and lightweight.

Chris

Site Supporter
    That's just one video

Here's a whole video from the water.

If I had a canoe as you say you do, I'd bypass this and get a regular kayak (sit-in or sit-on). This is just too close the canoe concept for it to be a net benefit if you own the canoe (assuming you keep it).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

My new Sea Doo ski has almost as much horsepower as my V8 Grand Cherokee. I got my 4yo and wife out on it for a little bit on Saturday, they both loved it. And the first weekend I had it, I went about 150 miles all along NC’s inter coastal waterway from Emerald Isle. It was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sounds like we need a PWC thread.

This channel appears to have lots of good info. Both in terms of “how to” but also comparing var type boat types across price points.

https://youtube.com/@HeadwatersKayak
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Man, we went kayaking around coastal waters in Maine last year and I've been low key wanting to get a kayak since then. The idea had sorta been back-burnered. Stupid PF.

I intensley dilike sit ins. Yoga with your ankles behind your head would be more comfortable. Roll one in fast shallow water and you can get in trouble real quick. Id rather have a real padded chair that doesnt have your knees higher than your lap.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I intensely dislike sit-ins. Yoga with your ankles behind your head would be more comfortable. Roll one in fast shallow water, and you can get in trouble real quick. I'd rather have a real padded chair that doesn't have your knees higher than your lap.
    one thing I'm coming to conclude is that there are some geographic and use-case issues at play with that.

When I look at the used kayak market near me, they are largely sit-on. Assuming there's no Survivorshp Bias here (e.g. people are selling sit-ons and keeping sit-ins), that tells me that sit-on is more popular in this region. Again, could be a lot of factors, but I believe that's because sit-on is more applicable to our area.

One thing I've noticed in the various comparison videos I've watched, they'll talk about sit-on and getting "swamped", and how you and your gear get less wet, etc. but in the very next breath they often talk about how bad it is to get truly SWAMPED as in water inside the cockpit and how you need inflatable bags in the interior to keep from sinking in that instance... or you just get a sit-on.

If I *do* wind up out in boat traffic (or god forbid the cursed jet ski pack) getting swamped, and even potentially capsizing, is a real concern. I've paddle-boarded in the Intracoastal on weekends and weekdays and weekends are no joke but even weekdays can have some challenges.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    one thing I'm coming to conclude is that there are some geographic and use-case issues at play with that.

When I look at the used kayak market near me, they are largely sit-on. Assuming there's no Survivorshp Bias here (e.g. people are selling sit-ons and keeping sit-ins), that tells me that sit-on is more popular in this region. Again, could be a lot of factors, but I believe that's because sit-on is more applicable to our area.

One thing I've noticed in the various comparison videos I've watched, they'll talk about sit-on and getting "swamped", and how you and your gear get less wet, etc. but in the very next breath they often talk about how bad it is to get truly SWAMPED as in water inside the cockpit and how you need inflatable bags in the interior to keep from sinking in that instance... or you just get a sit-on.

If I *do* wind up out in boat traffic (or god forbid the cursed jet ski pack) getting swamped, and even potentially capsizing, is a real concern. I've paddle-boarded in the Intracoastal on weekends and weekdays and weekends are no joke but even weekdays can have some challenges.
    Where I've used both types in the same waterways, consisting of smooth water with sections of class 2 rapids, I prefer the sit-in. However, when I'm kayaking at the beach and traversing the breaker zone, I want a sit-on.

Unless you're going long distances or want a high degree of maneuverability, I think a sit-on would work for you given your concerns about swamping.

Chris

I’ve had a great experience with a Vibe Shearwater 125. If you think you’ll want to fish then the option of a peddle drive is well worth the money.

https://vibekayaks.com/

Site Supporter
    My wife and I have Perception Tribe 6.5 and 11.5 Sit On Top Kayaks and we really like them. We primarily use them in the Intercoastal in NW Fla. Very stable and comfortable with good storage. They track well in wind which is something I can't say for the Ocean Kayak Malibu my wife had for one outing. OC is a great brand, but that model is not the best tracking. We had a OC Tandem 13 Malibu which tracked well due to it's size and hull design, but it will take 2 people to move it or put it on a roof rack. I can load and unload our Tribes alone from my Tucson with Yakima Roof Racks. West Marine carries several brands which is where we bought ours. And our local store took my wife's Malibu back after one day of use due to the tracking issue with full credit towards the 6.5 Tribe she has now. Hope this helps.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List