Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak (sit-on-top, I think) Recomenations

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    My friend Michelle has had great luck with her Kaku Kayak. She's an avid fisherwoman.
    https://kakukayaks.com/

Her code "Blueline" is good for 5% off.

I like the kayak because I'm big boned and a regular paddle board is way too tipsy for me (especially after a few beers)...
    This look really interesting, thanks! And I'm a sucker for Florida-based companies.

Last weekend my buddy and his girlfriend put little low beach chairs on their paddle boards which created similar ergonomics
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

This is an interesting concept I wasn't familiar with.

Ascend H12 Sit-In Hybrid Kayak

Name:  IMG_0409.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  26.3 KB

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is an interesting concept I wasn't familiar with.

Ascend H12 Sit-In Hybrid Kayak

Name:  IMG_0409.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  26.3 KB

It looks like it combines the worst of a Canoe and Kayak. I noticed the reviewer didn't have it in the water.

Personally, if I'm in a kayak, I want maneuverability, access to the water from inside the boat, and ability to navigate shallow water (well under 1' depth). It also needs to track straight and "coast" well (there's probably a proper boating term for that). If it's a sit-on, it needs to be narrow enough that you can paddle efficiently. Some of the sit-ons are quite wide and aren't as efficient to paddle from a bio-mechanical perspective as a sit-in. Otherwise I might as well be in a canoe.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It looks like it combines the worst of a Canoe and Kayak. I noticed the reviewer didn't have it in the water.
    That's just one video

Here's a whole video from the water.

I found this informative.

The getting in/out, particularly if capsized, is something I think I intuitively gravitate towards. I wouldn’t likely paddle the inter coastal on a weekend when the jetski jackasses are out in force, but getting tipped is still a good possibility.

The boats that Les posted are particularly attractive because of the added stability and design that allows for standing up to get a better view. A hybrid paddle board/kayak. Being able to stand up to see further as well as see down into the water better is an attractive concept.

I’ll have to see if the local place here has both in and on. Most of the rental places I’ve seen have all be on, presumably for some of the reasons covered in the video.

My wife and I kayak a fair bit on the gulf coast rivers of FL. Nothing makes me want a wave runner quite like a kayak... that being said...

I've had good and bad experiences. Generally the bigger the yak the better the ride for me. A few years ago when I was 210lbs and top heavy I had a really hard time with a 10' pelican (sandbank model) sit on. It was super wobbly. But my folks had them, and we live in a river area so we used em alot. I was dumped in twice. I tried a buddy's longer sundolphin (also slightly wider) and had a much better experience. Recently I used a tandam sit on with my sun (rental at silver springs)and it was better still for wobble.

Personally, I don't care for adjustable foot rests. They can break, and they have hidey holes for spiders to move into during storage. My friends kayak was tossed in the garage the night before we planed to go and a spider from his shed made an enourmous web across my garage when I went to wash the kayaks in the morning.

I also dig seats that arent just a flap and strap. Actual structure just leads to more comfort. The straps inevitably loosen and make it a pain to adjust when your halfway to the cool spring you're headed for.

A pelican style hard drybox with rope and D ring beats the hell out of whatever "dry storage" compartment your kayak has for your phone and wallet. Water from the kayak top will roll in and still get your wallet wet. If the little circle compartment is between your legs it's decent for drinks/sun screen/deet/hat/anchor etc.

I also like yaks with a side handle. Some don't hve that. It makes them easier to strap into my truck, and hold the wife's yak next to me to pass drinks (or our kid lol).

Look forward to hearing what you go with. We dont have access to kayaks without renting anymore, but still go occassionally. We had talked about buying some but don't know if thats still something we want to do vs waverunner or a boat.
    Last edited by Cory; 06-07-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Kayak (sit-on-top, I think) Recomenations

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    My wife and I kayak a fair bit on the gulf coast rivers of FL. Nothing makes me want a wave runner quite like a kayak... that being said...

I've had good and bad experiences. Generally the bigger the yak the better the ride for me. A few years ago when I was 210lbs and top heavy I had a really hard time with a 10' pelican (sandbank model) sit on. It was super wobbly. But my folks had them, and we live in a river area so we used em alot. I was dumped in twice. I tried a buddy's longer sundolphin (also slightly wider) and had a much better experience. Recently I used a tandam sit on with my sun (rental at silver springs)and it was better still for wobble.

Personally, I don't care for adjustable foot rests. They can break, and they have hidey holes for spiders to move into during storage. My friends kayak was tossed in the garage the night before we planed to go and a spider from his shed made an enourmous web across my garage when I went to wash the kayaks in the morning.

I also dig seats that arent just a flap and strap. Actual structure just leads to more comfort. The straps inevitably loosen and make it a pain to adjust when your halfway to the cool spring you're headed for.

A pelican style hard drybox with rope and D ring beats the hell out of whatever "dry storage" compartment your kayak has for your phone and wallet. Water from the kayak top will roll in and still get your wallet wet. If the little circle compartment is between your legs it's decent for drinks/sun screen/deet/hat/anchor etc.

I also like yaks with a side handle. Some don't hve that. It makes them easier to strap into my truck, and hold the wife's yak next to me to pass drinks (or our kid lol).

Look forward to hearing what you go with. We dont have access to kayaks without renting anymore, but still go occassionally. We had talked about buying some but don't know if thats still something we want to do vs waverunner or a boat.

My new Sea Doo ski has almost as much horsepower as my V8 Grand Cherokee. I got my 4yo and wife out on it for a little bit on Saturday, they both loved it. And the first weekend I had it, I went about 150 miles all along NC’s inter coastal waterway from Emerald Isle. It was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-07-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Either of the Tarpons or Pescadors (old generation of the Tarpon) are excellent boats. I had multiples of both (10’ and 12’ versions) when I owned a kayak business and still have a few of each. I could kayak the rest of my life with a Tarpon 12 and be happy. While I own other more expensive sit on tops and sit ins I usually grab whichever Tarpon or Pescador is closest. Picture is a Pescador from a quick fishing trip on Friday.

Name:  IMG_1734.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  49.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Either of the Tarpons or Pescadors
    it kinda seems like Wilderness and Perception are somehow related?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    it kinda seems like Wilderness and Perception are somehow related?
    I believe Confluence bought Perception and Dagger sometime in the early 2000s.

User Tag List