Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting ammo kaboom today

Site Supporter
    My guess is that the "infamous" unsupported chamber associated with Glock barrels and their clones is the culprit. Note that the case did not have a lengthwise split. I have fired much Federal 9BPLE. In a Colt 1911 one of these +p+ rounds cracked a locking lug and bent the ejector. I suspected that loose case mouth tension permitted the bullet itself to set back into the case. This may have occurred in Lon's event. My bullet case was not damaged but did have a flattened primer. Another factor in my instance was that some of this ammo had been chambered and ejected two or three times, and yes I got the problem round out of a gallon can on my bench. I like this Federal round, but now inspect each and every single one before loading it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve been dry firing the hell out of that combo paying a lot of attention to whether the trigger pull is unlocking it. Haven’t seen any of that. Totally agree it was OOB.
    Maybe a loaded magazine puts enough upward force on the slide to make an oob more likely? Maybe something worth checking with dummy rounds if you’re curious.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

ouch. What was the cause? Any ideas? Bad ammo? I had a Freedom Munitions .223 case that did something similar now that I think about it.
    Best I can tell it was likely overcharged ammo. The unanticipated loud noise and auto eject mag was 2 rounds into a stage and both hits were visible on target, so definitely no squib. Fortunately it was in a blowback AR9, so I chiseled the remains of the case out of the chamber and put the rifle back into use.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

A centered firing pin strike speaks against "out of battery".

Bruce Gray did a controlled test of out of battery firing, no blown cases.
    https://grayguns.com/news/p320-out-of-battery-testing/

There was a reply where another gunsmith eyeballed slide position and just clicked the trigger to support his position.

I have a couple of range pickups with indents way off center, obviously "out of battery." But wait, the rounds didn't go off, it was not an out of battery discharge.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A centered firing pin strike speaks against "out of battery".

Bruce Gray did a controlled test of out of battery firing, no blown cases.
    https://grayguns.com/news/p320-out-of-battery-testing/

There was a reply where another gunsmith eyeballed slide position and just clicked the trigger to support his position.

I have a couple of range pickups with indents way off center, obviously "out of battery." But wait, the rounds didn't go off, it was not an out of battery discharge.
    I agree. If the barrel was not fully locked up, you wouldn't have a center hit on the primer.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Question

I'm not familiar with the CA-19, but it appears to be a Glock type pistol. FWIW, your barrel appears to be deeply throated, even more so than my stock Glocks. I have used the 9BPLE in Glocks, and quite a variety of other 9mm firearms, without issue. Is the barrel a stock Glock or something else? I've seen factory, aftermarket, and home gunsmithed barrels way over throated in an effort to ensure feed reliability. Like Lester's ammunition, "It usually works."

I reread, and see now it's an AIM G17.5 barrel. Possibly deeply throated to prevent potential customer complaints about feedway stoppages?
    Last edited by Rock185; 06-07-2023 at 03:43 PM.

The barrel was an AIM G17.5 barrel. Didn’t see any damage on inspection.
    Is this the frame you mentioned having fitment issues with the locking block? Is it supposed to be a "G5 style" locking block so you can run it as a 19L?

If there was a width problem with the locking block, I just wonder if something else isn't out of spec as well.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is this the frame you mentioned having fitment issues with the locking block? Is it supposed to be a "G5 style" locking block so you can run it as a 19L?

If there was a width problem with the locking block, I just wonder if something else isn't out of spec as well.
    This is that frame. I switched out the locking block with an OEM one tonight when I finished putting the Remsport slide together.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List