Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who Do We Like for 357 Magnum Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    No PF revolver thread is complete without pics.

The M-27 presents a dilemma: each of these barrels was fitted to it at some point by Smith & Wesson. It left the factory with the 6" barrel. The uncle who owned it had Smith fit the 5" barrel sometime before I was born, then did yeoman service on family ranches on the Edwards Plateau of Texas. He gave it to my father at some point. I remember it with most of the bluing gone and I shot it like it was part of my arm. About 15 years ago, my father sent it to Smith to have a 4" barrel fitted and to be reblued.

Attachment 105555

The dilemma? Do I leave it alone because I have so many 4" N-frame holsters? Or do I reinstall the 5" barrel because that's how I remember it? Or do I go with the 6" to get the longest possible sight radius? Not sure there's a wrong answer there...

The M-66 came with a vintage Milt Sparks Summer Special for a 1.75" belt.

Attachment 105556

And yeah, T-Grips for all. Melvin Tyler's shop was a few miles from our house when I was growing up. I used to ride my bike there and press my nose against the glass.

Okie John
    Okie John:

My vote would be to go with the 5 inch barrel. That gets the gun back to the condition you used it in and it's a fabulous excuse to call Milt Sparks and order a floral carved, black 200 AW holster for it. My bride and I gave our son a black, floral carved 1AT for his 1911 when he graduated from college. He'll tell you it's the only reason he finished his degree. I "think" he is kidding but it is hard to tell. That said, it is an absolutely gorgeous holster.

Nothing wrong with keeping the 4 inch barrel on the gun in order to economize on holsters if you absolutely have to do the whole "responsible adult" thing.....

Hang onto the 6 and 4 inch barrels and hopefully you run across 2 S&W Model 27s that need to be re-barreled.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

No PF revolver thread is complete without pics.

The M-27 presents a dilemma: each of these barrels was fitted to it at some point by Smith & Wesson. It left the factory with the 6" barrel. The uncle who owned it had Smith fit the 5" barrel sometime before I was born, then did yeoman service on family ranches on the Edwards Plateau of Texas. He gave it to my father at some point. I remember it with most of the bluing gone and I shot it like it was part of my arm. About 15 years ago, my father sent it to Smith to have a 4" barrel fitted and to be reblued.

Attachment 105555

The dilemma? Do I leave it alone because I have so many 4" N-frame holsters? Or do I reinstall the 5" barrel because that's how I remember it? Or do I go with the 6" to get the longest possible sight radius? Not sure there's a wrong answer there...

The M-66 came with a vintage Milt Sparks Summer Special for a 1.75" belt.

Attachment 105556

And yeah, T-Grips for all. Melvin Tyler's shop was a few miles from our house when I was growing up. I used to ride my bike there and press my nose against the glass.

Okie John
    Go with the 5" it's perfection.

I have recently come into a 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 and a 4" Model 27, so I'm going to get my revolver chops back up to speed.

For live ammo, I have only a few handfuls of mangy cartridges spanning the last several decades. I think I'd like to stick with 357 brass instead of going down the 38 Special path.

I have plenty of appropriate bullets, powder, and primers but no brass, so I'm thinking of buying a few hundred rounds of factory ammo and going from there. I want a load that's not fire-breathing hot, just good, accurate mid-range 357 ammo.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Okie John
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-thread/page2

My observation is post 11.

Name:  SW 66-8.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  88.8 KB

Thread needs more photos. This is my 66-8. I just added the Grippers, which I love, but they clearly require some fitting.

Another ammo option might include Remington's 158 grain 357 mag factory LSWC. I've not shot it, but I believe the factory says its velocity is around 1230 fps.

I also noticed that Winchester 357 mag Silvertips are available again. Not cheap, not a great candidate for target shooting, but availability tends to be spotty.
    Ordinary guy

I vote 5” because awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’ve got three years in Field Artillery in 8” and 155mm firing batteries before the time of hearing protection, I have little hearing left.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    You don't need to swap barrels. You just need two more frames upon which to install the barrels you have.
    That's what happens to AR barrels in my house
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

To the original question.

https://capitalcartridge.com/357-mag...-brass-500pcs/

Then load with 158gr XTPs or 158gr swc-wn from rimrock with the powder of your choice.

Factory .357 is just ridiculous and an XTP at 1250fps is just about perfect
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I've settled on Remington Golden Saber 125 gr .38 Special +P for my Security Six; Remington/UMC has analog SJHP 125 gr +P for practice under their UMC line; for the GP100, after MUCH experimentation, I'm using Federal HydraShok 158 gr .357 magnums. As detailed in another p-f thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cal-IDPA-Match , I wanted the 145 gr Winchester Silvertips, but there were systemic/multiple issues with their primers, so I now neither use or recommend them. The HydraShoks have been impeccable performers.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List