Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Do We Like for 357 Magnum Ammo?

Who Do We Like for 357 Magnum Ammo?

I have recently come into a 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 and a 4" Model 27, so I'm going to get my revolver chops back up to speed.

For live ammo, I have only a few handfuls of mangy cartridges spanning the last several decades. I think I'd like to stick with 357 brass instead of going down the 38 Special path.

I have plenty of appropriate bullets, powder, and primers but no brass, so I'm thinking of buying a few hundred rounds of factory ammo and going from there. I want a load that's not fire-breathing hot, just good, accurate mid-range 357 ammo.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have recently come into a 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 and a 4" Model 27, so I'm going to get my revolver chops back up to speed.

For live ammo, I have only a few handfuls of mangy cartridges spanning the last several decades. I think I'd like to stick with 357 brass instead of going down the 38 Special path.

I have plenty of appropriate bullets, powder, and primers but no brass, so I'm thinking of buying a few hundred rounds of factory ammo and going from there. I want a load that's not fire-breathing hot, just good, accurate mid-range 357 ammo.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Okie John
    For a self defense round that's not a fire-breathing hot load I'd try the 357 Mag 135 gr FlexLock® Critical Duty at and advertised 1275fps. My choice is the Remington 125 grain JHP just because I've used it for a long time. It's advertised at 1450fps and does get your attention when you light it off. The Hornady should keep you in the 'sweet spot' for expansion with a 135 grain going near 1200fps out of your 2 1/2 and it's supposedly very reliable for expansion.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    For an older 66, I’d stay away from firebreathing loads with lightweight bullets. For range fodder, Armscor 158gr FMJ cartridges are pretty good. Federal 158gr JSPs are noticeably sportier.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If you can find them the Remington 125gr Golden Sabre and the Speer Gold Dot 135gr "short barrel" are both mid range loads, not nearly as abusive, preferred carry ammo in my 2.5" and 4" M19 plus my 3" M65. I got my stash well before the pandemic so it may be difficult to find either now, and a reasonable price is not something I would expect.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    I’d probably just buy some virgin or once-fired brass, and then pick your recipe and load it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    If you can find them the Remington 125gr Golden Sabre and the Speer Gold Dot 135gr "short barrel" are both mid range loads, not nearly as abusive, preferred carry ammo in my 2.5" and 4" M19 plus my 3" M65. I got my stash well before the pandemic so it may be difficult to find either now, and a reasonable price is not something I would expect.
    Fatdog just saved me some typing. Those are both great carry loads when you can get them, but they are a touch spendy for practice.

I shoot very little factory ammo these days, but when I do it's mostly American Eagle's 158 grain JSP load. Honestly, that wouldn't be first choice out of a 2 1/2" K-frame due to recoil though.

I recently was running a little short on practice fodder and just decided to order 500 Starline cases. I've had great luck with Xtreme plated bullets in both 125 grain and 158 gain with CFE pistol for mid-range .357 loads.

On ammoseek, I was able to find practice ammo that was cheaper than buying new brass and rolling my own, but they were all 2nd and 3rd rate companies.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    The aforementioned Remington Golden Saber load is my carry load of choice in my K-Frame .357's--In the L-Frames and larger, I like the Barnes 125 monolithic Copper JHP, whatever they call it, for SD purposes---The Barnes seems a little "Hotter" to me than the Golden Saber, but neither are near as "Warm" as the Remington or Federal 125-grain SJHP's...

In my GP100 and S&W TRR8 I use the 125 grain Remington factory ammo for carry. In my model 13 I carry 158 grain LSWCHP handload at 1200 FPS or a factory 158 gr JHP.

Site Supporter
    I rarely carry a .357 Mag anymore. I use 158-grain bullets (factory and handloads) because I have a M681-2 that shoots them to POA and they're less hard on my 19-3 than the 125s. Factory ammo is R-P 158-grain JHPs for carry and the AE 158-grain JSPs for the woods and occasional practice when not shooting my handloads. R-P and Federal are my favorite brass for loading so that works out too.

If just looking for range fodder, I'd give @Stephanie B's suggestion of Armscor a try. I've had good luck with their 9x19 and .45 ACP brass, and their .45 hardball is pretty accurate.

As noted above, the AE JSPs are pretty sporty.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’d probably just buy some virgin or once-fired brass, and then pick your recipe and load it yourself.
    I would avoid nickle.

I bought a bunch of new Starline nickle-plated, thinking it would be good to easily tell it from .38 brass.

The stuff is so think & hard, I have trouble seating even jacketed bullets without damaging them.

User Tag List