Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDCLB Upgrades for the Surefire E2T-MV Tactician

EDCLB Upgrades for the Surefire E2T-MV Tactician

One of my favorite Surefire lights is the E2T-MV Tactician. At just five inches in length with a one inch diameter bezel, and weighing only 3.5 ounces with batteries the E2T-MV is compact, lightweight and carries comfortably in a pants pocket. But by far what makes this a favorite is the bezel switch that allows switching between high and low output without the hassle of toggling through modes with the switch or having to deal with a programmable interface.

The Tactician’s “MaxVision” beam is just a fancy name for a low-candela flood beam, which makes it well suited for general use as well (a high-candela beam is IMO better for serious defensive use). With the high-low bezel switch and its clean, white MaxVision flood beam the E2T-MV is a very useful EDC general purpose flashlight that also serves a serious defensive role far better than the vast majority of "tactical" lights on the market. That said, a few upgrades turns this very useful light into a truly superb one.

E2T-MV with EDCLB Upgrades

Tailcap Upgrade

The E2T-MV comes from Surefire with a Z41 “twisty” tailcap. This tailcap is optimized for momentary operation, which is a priority for any light being used for situational awareness or self-defense. But there are several downsides to the Z41 design;

The switch consists of an aluminum plunger that when pressed makes contact with the rear edge of the body to complete the circuit. Though this design is extremely robust, the aluminum is prone to oxidation on the contact surface, which can cause the light to flicker without a very firm press. This grows worse over time and due to the plunger being retained in the tailcap body with a rivet, the contact surface of the plunger is extremely difficult to reach and clean.

Due to the “twisty” design, the tailcap must be turned and tightened against the body for constant-on operation. This will generally require two hands to accomplish. While this is ideal for a light intended for self defense, it’s less than ideal for a light intended for general use - especially one that features a low output mode that allows days of continuous run time.

EDCLB offers upgraded Lumens Factory E2T tailcaps that use the ultra-reliable, industry-standard McClicky switch. This allows the light to be placed into constant-on operation with one hand. I upgrade these tailcaps with a low-profile medium press boot, which enhances control of momentary-only operation and minimizes unintentional latching. A deep, deliberate press with the tip of the thumb is required to latch ("click") the switch to constant-on;

I also “bed” the McClicky switch into the tailcap body. From the factory the switch simply lays in the tailcap body (not threaded) and is held in place by the boot and tailcap retaining ring. By bedding the switch directly into the body, the switch is held securely in place ensuring consistent feel and operation.

The EDCLB E2T Tailcaps are available in three versions: (1) with a deep carry pocket clip; (2) with a lanyard loop and finger ring or (3) with pocket clip, lanyard loop and finger ring. The lanyard loop versions accept the optional EDCLB Custom Wrist Lanyard and the soon to be available Fist Bungee.

Pocket Clip Upgrade

From Surefire the E2T-MV comes with a pocket clip for carrying the light bezel up. The main issue with the Surefire clip is that the clip is not a “deep pocket carry” design - the entire head assembly rides exposed above the pocket. For pocket carry, most prefer a bezel down design that better protects the head and helps prevent accidental activation.

The EDCLB E2T Tailcap with pocket clip addresses this issue, allowing deep pocket carry with the bezel down. The entire light rides inside the pocket for better concealment and less chance of the light being accidentally dislodged.

Factory Clip Filler Stud

When using the EDCLB E2T Tailcap with deep carry pocket clip, the Surefire-supplied pocket clip is removed leaving a machined recess in the body. EDCLB offers E2T-MV Clip Filler Studs that fill the recess and perfectly match the contours of the body. The filler studs come as a set - one plain and one that accepts a 1.5 x 6mm tritium vial. I plan on offering a set with a green tritium vial installed, which makes the flashlight easy to locate in a dark setting. The tritium vial version is especially useful for a light that sees nightstand duty.

16650 Li-ion Rechargeable Cells

The E2T-MV is designed to run on a pair of CR123 lithium batteries (6.0 volts) to achieve its rated output of 800 lumens. For everyday use, the cost of using disposable CR123 batteries can mount quickly.

Though not advertised by Surefire, the E2T-MV runs perfectly on a single 16650 Li-ion cell (4.2 volts). Maximum output is reduced to about 670 lumens, but run time is extended (I will post a run time graph soon). I now have listed on the site a 16650 Li-ion Cells & Charger kit.

DIY Parts Kit or EDCLB Upgrade Service

Order the parts and install them yourself, or ship your E2T-MV to me and I’ll do the upgrade for you (PM me if interested in this service).

Thanks for taking the time to check out this latest offering!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 06-09-2023 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Add Photos
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Nice! just ordered a couple! Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

This is Surefire’s best form factor hand held by far

The upgrades sound great

Hi candela, low lumen lights have their place but floodlights don’t do much for me

If this had an output similar to an EDCL 1 or G2X with the high low bezel I would own several

A G2 X pro is my standard carry when possible. Also Malkoff with high/low head.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    This is Surefire’s best form factor hand held by far

Hi candela, low lumen lights have their place but floodlights don’t do much for me

If this had an output similar to an EDCL 1 or G2X with the high low bezel I would own several
    Agreed, SF missed the mark on the beam pattern for a light named "Tactician." But the head is much smaller than the EDCL1 or G2X.

And then there's this;

Tactician head on a LF 18350 body with the same upgraded LF tailcap. It's fully functional, measures only 3-5/8" in length and 2.6 ounces including an IMR 18350 cell.

Maybe I should offer the tailcap and body as a Mini Tactician conversion package?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

This thread was already going to cost me money… but that image above is highly problematic.

A page on the EDCLB website dedicated to E2T-MV Tactician upgrades can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    A page on the EDCLB website dedicated to E2T-MV Tactician upgrades can be found here.
    Thanks, just placed an order.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Thanks, just placed an order.
    Thanks, I'll get it out tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Agreed, SF missed the mark on the beam pattern for a light named "Tactician." But the head is much smaller than the EDCL1 or G2X.

And then there's this;

Tactician head on a LF 18350 body with the same upgraded LF tailcap. It's fully functional, measures only 3-5/8" in length and 2.6 ounces including an IMR 18350 cell.

Maybe I should offer the tailcap and body as a Mini Tactician conversion package?
    What are the specs on that mini tactician?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    What are the specs on that mini tactician?
    Paul, it's simply the Tactician head on the E1 (18350) LF body with an EDCLB E2T tailcap.

The challenge with trying to Lego the Tactician head is that the threads are machined differently than the typical E-series body. Specifically (1) the threaded area is slightly longer and (2) the O-ring is not located at the bottom of the threads - it's moved slightly forward. So while I can get the Tactician head to work on the Lego as shown in the photo, it's not optimal requiring a hard twist of the head to engage full power.

To make this Lego viable the front threads of the LF E1 body would need to be extended and machined like those on the Tactician body. It may not be out of the question to have some made that way, but it would be a considerable investment and would require some committed buyers.

That said it's a very impressive Lego, one I definitely would carry myself!

User Tag List