Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Quality Rain Jacket

I've had several TAD softshells over the years, and they all had the rear outer fabric start to separate from the inner layers, creating a saggy loose stop under the hood/collar.

I love the design and fit though

I rotate between an OR Foray and Patagonia Torrentshell; slight edge to the Patagonia piece, IME.

Patagonia’s Granite Crest jacket looks pretty good as well.

For more-rounded styling, the Fjällräven Visby is pricy but pretty handy.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been wearing Arcteryx hard shells for 21 years. Normal wear, busting thru brush, blood from hunting all over. They all, including my oldest one from 21 years ago, look and perform like new.

My most commonly worn model is a Beta.

Here is a link to understanding how their models are named:

https://www.barrabes.com/en-gb/blog/...d-the-arcteryx
    I LOVE Arcteryx gear. I have at least a dozen garments from them and I'll always have it and will probably buy more. But 100% of my Goretex jackets from them have delaminated. I don't really blame Arcteryx. Its Goretex textiles. One was under warranty. But my warranty replacement delaminated too. The others delaminated right after the warranty period. I used Revivex DWR and detergent and followed all instructions on how to care for them. A $550 jacket should last more than 6 years.

So no more Goretex jackets for me. When I get another hard shell it will probably be a $150 non-Goretex jacket.

I have Grunden's on my radar.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The hardshells do tend to run a little baggier, due to their intention for layering. The different lines (e.g., Beta SV vs. Alpha SV) will also have different cuts and sizing, given that they are optimized for different sports/equipment. I try to wear XS from Arc'teryx when I can find it; FWIW, my LEAF Hot Weather Combat Shirts are in XS, Crye G3 and G4 Combat Shirts in XS Reg, and my LEAF Alpha in XS, with the Alpha fitting slightly loose, but not noticeably so, while the combat shirts are basically a perfect fit with my chest (the Crye sleeves are rather... big; not long, just too big a circumference, IMO); I originally had a LEAF Alpha in S, and it was noticeably baggier, though still perfectly useable and did not noticeably get in my way typically (though the hood was still too small to comfortably fit over my TW SAR with everything and still have proper range of motion).

I think going off the size guide is a relatively safe bet to start out with, and most reputable places that sell Arc'teryx allow for free exchanges (though I don't know about the LEAF stuff, since some of the dealers there are much smaller).
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have this jacket and liked it a lot, until the waterproofing failed after a few years. It is a shame because the jacket is otherwise fine.
    Yikes! I’ve not had mine long enough to see that. That is disappointing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Good recommendations. When you start talking about Arc, Kuiu, PG, etc it's usually degrees of better and price rather than good vs bad.

Re: Beyond, The above is the US-made Berry jacket. The import variation is also excellent. Link:
    https://beyondclothing.com/collectio...k6-rain-jacket
    This, I have the pants and jacket and am impressed with both.

Site Supporter
    I have the Otte Patrol Parka Hardshell. It uses eVent for the moisture barrier. It meets all of your criteria. I have enjoyed it quite a lot, and had it for about 13 years now. Got the pants also. (On sale, they're stuff used to be competitively priced. No idea now.)

I don't do cool guy shit, I was just tired of being wet.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    I LOVE Arcteryx gear. I have at least a dozen garments from them and I'll always have it and will probably buy more. But 100% of my Goretex jackets from them have delaminated. I don't really blame Arcteryx. Its Goretex textiles. One was under warranty. But my warranty replacement delaminated too. The others delaminated right after the warranty period. I used Revivex DWR and detergent and followed all instructions on how to care for them. A $550 jacket should last more than 6 years.

So no more Goretex jackets for me. When I get another hard shell it will probably be a $150 non-Goretex jacket.

I have Grunden's on my radar.
    You bring up a good point. I have had the hem cord lamination fail on three shells. Two fixed under warranty by sewing the hem and one not fixed because out of warranty. I took the out-of-warranty jacket to a local seamstress to sew. Because its at the hem, I wasn't worried about being sewn through. If you look at the warranty submission site, a sample picture of damage is the hem failure. So I guess this might be a common problem.

It was worth fixing because I am still using all of these jackets years after repair.

Site Supporter
    I just picked up the Otte Patrol Parka this week after seeing this thread and realizing my old Marmot may no longer be up to solid downpours for long periods of time. First impressions are very good, solid construction and well seamed/taped.

I had considered the dead bird, but 800 plus dollars for a rain jacket seemed steeper than I wanted to pay. What sealed it for me however was by buying the grey instead of the ranger green (my current position does not require the green) the price went from $650 to $250. Add in my .gov discount and it came in just under $200. I figured even if it is 85% of the Arc, at one quarter the cost I will take it.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    I just picked up the Otte Patrol Parka this week after seeing this thread and realizing my old Marmot may no longer be up to solid downpours for long periods of time. First impressions are very good, solid construction and well seamed/taped.

I had considered the dead bird, but 800 plus dollars for a rain jacket seemed steeper than I wanted to pay. What sealed it for me however was by buying the grey instead of the ranger green (my current position does not require the green) the price went from $650 to $250. Add in my .gov discount and it came in just under $200. I figured even if it is 85% of the Arc, at one quarter the cost I will take it.
    Good info! The Beyond jacket that @Default.mp3 posted is also on sale. $249 for black and $299 for coyote.

https://beyondclothing.com/products/...32446152867902

User Tag List