Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Quality Rain Jacket

I had a Watershed custom rainsuit made for uniform patrol. Best money I ever spent. https://www.wearewatershed.com/product/jackets/tango/ I'd message them and see if they've tested the hood with a helmet.

I’ve been eying the Mantle myself

A friend of mine who was a UK Security forces in Northern Ireland swore by Helly Hansen so that is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by High Cross View Post
    A friend of mine who was a UK Security forces in Northern Ireland swore by Helly Hansen so that is what I use
    Helly Hansen Impertechs is what was recommended by Alaskan outdoorsmen and what I wore doing backcountry trail work with SAGA in southeast Alaska.

https://www.hhworkwear.com/en_us_ww/...regular_search

It's not fancy but it worked
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Helly Hansen Impertechs is what was recommended by Alaskan outdoorsmen and what I wore doing backcountry trail work with SAGA in southeast Alaska.

https://www.hhworkwear.com/en_us_ww/...regular_search

It's not fancy but it worked
    Impertech is not breathable at all, so while it'll definitely keep the rain out, if you start sweating it'll keep all that moisture inside unless you have some ability to vent. The back vents offered are not going to play well with a PC over them (though perhaps you may wear the PC under?), and would likely suck to use in any kind of prone position.

Helly Hansen definitely makes quality gear in general, including wonderful hardshells (you'll see a lot of ski patrollers use HH, as a testament to their durability and quality), but they don't exactly come in earth tone colors typically. Hunting oriented techwear would be the better option to look at (e.g., Sitka, KUIU, Norrøna, etc.) if we're going to wander away from LE/military specific lines, rather than high end sporting-oriented brands (e.g., HH, Patagonia, Mammut, Stio, BERINGIA, RAB, etc.).

Site Supporter
    Black Diamond is what was provided on a guided climb of Mt Ranier last year. I recently bought an Outdoor Research Foray shell and absolutely love it. It’s a two layer shell so slightly on the thin side; id go for their three layer shell. Made to fit a helmet, too. Pretty much any brand that offers the Goretex brand and a lifetime warranty will do you right. Just shop the features that are important to you (pit zips, etc) and color. Arcteryx is definitely the standard, and a phenomenal product, but I don’t find the price justified over the other brands listed in these threads.

For the best robustness/price point value, a mil-surplus ECCWS set can’t be beat if you don’t mind wearing camo.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been wearing Arcteryx hard shells for 21 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post

My LEAF Alpha struggles to fit over my TW SAR that just has a strobe, and a light on each rail (Princeton Tec Charge and Streamlight HL-X on an Arisaka Offset Scout Mount Picatinny on the TW MOE rail), somewhat limiting my ability to turn my head left or right; it totally fails to cover any meaningful amount of my Ops-Core FAST SF that also has AMP Arms, battery pack, etc.
    How is the overall sizing on the Arcteryx rain jackets? Measuring and using their size guide I'm between XL and XXL. But I've seen reviews online that seem to indicate they run large.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    How is the overall sizing on the Arcteryx rain jackets? Measuring and using their size guide I'm between XL and XXL. But I've seen reviews online that seem to indicate they run large.
    The hardshells do tend to run a little baggier, due to their intention for layering. The different lines (e.g., Beta SV vs. Alpha SV) will also have different cuts and sizing, given that they are optimized for different sports/equipment. I try to wear XS from Arc'teryx when I can find it; FWIW, my LEAF Hot Weather Combat Shirts are in XS, Crye G3 and G4 Combat Shirts in XS Reg, and my LEAF Alpha in XS, with the Alpha fitting slightly loose, but not noticeably so, while the combat shirts are basically a perfect fit with my chest (the Crye sleeves are rather... big; not long, just too big a circumference, IMO); I originally had a LEAF Alpha in S, and it was noticeably baggier, though still perfectly useable and did not noticeably get in my way typically (though the hood was still too small to comfortably fit over my TW SAR with everything and still have proper range of motion).

I think going off the size guide is a relatively safe bet to start out with, and most reputable places that sell Arc'teryx allow for free exchanges (though I don't know about the LEAF stuff, since some of the dealers there are much smaller).
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-09-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Last edited by Chewbacca10; 06-09-2023 at 12:32 PM.

I have this jacket and liked it a lot, until the waterproofing failed after a few years. It is a shame because the jacket is otherwise fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List