Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry and soft body armor

Quote Originally Posted by golden.pierpoint View Post
    Hello all,

I recently purchased my first firearm, a G19.3, and would like to wear soft armor when I compete in IDPA as well as practice at a public range.

My first couple classes there was an elderly man who flagged the hell out of me a bunch of times and it was pretty unnerving. Additionally I read about the RSO who died at an USPSA match and of numerous NDs that have occurred at various matches. There was also a pretty lively discussion on PF I read regarding the safety of striker fired pistols with super lightened triggers in competition matches and the safety challenges that they may pose when running around and potentially falling/dropping them.

A question I have is how much would soft body armor affect my ability to draw from appendix carry, as that is my preferred carry method and any recommendations on concealable level ii or iiia soft armor.

Thanks
    I can’t comment on AIWB and soft body armor in conjunction, even though I own both. Having said that, I don’t think it would work for me. My advice is similar to others. If you feel it’s that dangerous to go, then don’t. Find somewhere else. Regarding the elderly gentleman that flagged you multiple times in class, did you say anything to him or to the instructor? That is an absolute no-go in the circles I run in, and the occurrence, especially multiple times, warrants saying something to the individual in question. Doesn’t have to be harsh or indignant, but more of a, “Hey, buddy. Can we chat?” The offender may simply be ignorant as opposed to malicious.

On another level, there is KD4’s advice that you either need to be aware of muzzle OR trigger finger. His context being that if you pack 4 dudes with guns in a car, someone is getting flagged. Being aware of at least either muzzle or trigger finger will prevent tragedy.

In the context I think you’re talking about, if someone is inadvertently flagging you, move! Then talk.

Returning to your original question, I have IIIA+ from Safelife Defense. I’m happy with it for its purpose, and it’s what my employer subsidized the purchase of.

Working in armed security but often taking public transit to and from work, I choose to throw a cover garment over my uniform top and stuff my duty belt in a backpack in order to keep a low profile until I'm on the clock. I'm not about to carry a company-issued gun off-body, though, so I throw the work gun in an appendix rig while going to and from work (and I'm wearing concealable armor at the same time).

It is not comfortable. My armor is appropriately sized, but it will still press into the back of the slide when I sit down if I don't take care to wedge the bottom edge of my vest between my stomach and the gun. When standing, the bottom edge of the vest will impede the draw a bit (and this gets worse the bigger your gut). I don't notice much of a difference with concealment.

Bottom line, it's doable, but I don't recommend it. I only do it because of my somewhat unique work situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Have you shot an IDPA match yet? It is my understanding AIWB is banned.
    It’s technically legal in the rules now. Some clubs still don’t allow it, though.

I've drawn from appendix wearing soft IBA. It is not a problem.
    However, I wouldn't consider protection to be complete without a ballistic helmet.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

If you're tempted to go somewhere where body armor might be a legitimate need, and you're not being paid to go there, don't go there.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you're tempted to go somewhere where body armor might be a legitimate need, and you're not being paid to go there, don't go there.
    This is worthy of a quote...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Worse yet, he's paying to go there.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Though I generally agree with this statement, I think the context matters in this situation.

1) This is a great reason to pony up and just buy some body armor. This might be useful in the future. Kind of like a trauma kit; you hope to never need it; but if you need it, you need it NOW.

2) There is a least a remote probability it could come in handy. A neighboring agency has a huge range, and requires the use of body armor when shooting there. This includes ROs. I'm not sure if this is an insurance requirement or just policy.

I try to train the way I fight, so when I shoot action pistol type events, I use my full duty belt and sometimes soft armor. It slows me down, but I need the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Worse yet, he's paying to go there.
    I love both your and Trooper224's posts. As the old saying goes, the only thing cheaper than one cop is two cops.

I had an old beat partner (now departed) who had two thermoses (from the lost and found) that he would fill up with coffee before going off duty for the weekend so he wouldn't have to buy instant coffee. He'd microware cups of coffee when needed. He was always saying, "wait, you paid MONEY for that?" with an incredulous look on his face whenever the rest of us were talking about cars, guns, boats, etc. He was the crustiest of crusty old timers. I miss that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Though I generally agree with this statement, I think the context matters in this situation.

1) This is a great reason to pony up and just buy some body armor. This might be useful in the future. Kind of like a trauma kit; you hope to never need it; but if you need it, you need it NOW.

2) There is a least a remote probability it could come in handy. A neighboring agency has a huge range, and requires the use of body armor when shooting there. This includes ROs. I'm not sure if this is an insurance requirement or just policy.

I try to train the way I fight, so when I shoot action pistol type events, I use my full duty belt and sometimes soft armor. It slows me down, but I need the reps.
    Its not quite the same as a trauma kit otherwise you'd wear body armor amy time left home. You could also train the way you fight by dry firing just before, during lunch break, or after shift. I would much rather be comfortable at a match and enjoy the experience instead of trying to treat it like a fight which it is not. I am all for using an exact copy of a duty gun, and I also use an als safariland holster but that's the furthest I'd take it

User Tag List