Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry and soft body armor

Appendix Carry and soft body armor

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first firearm, a G19.3, and would like to wear soft armor when I compete in IDPA as well as practice at a public range.

My first couple classes there was an elderly man who flagged the hell out of me a bunch of times and it was pretty unnerving. Additionally I read about the RSO who died at an USPSA match and of numerous NDs that have occurred at various matches. There was also a pretty lively discussion on PF I read regarding the safety of striker fired pistols with super lightened triggers in competition matches and the safety challenges that they may pose when running around and potentially falling/dropping them.

A question I have is how much would soft body armor affect my ability to draw from appendix carry, as that is my preferred carry method and any recommendations on concealable level ii or iiia soft armor.

Thanks

Soft body armor and appendix carry is possible. I've done it myself. But your body type, what type/brand of soft body armor you use, your holster and your gun will all influence how concealable and comfortable it is. It'll almost certainly be less concealable and comfortable than without wearing armor. No one's really going to be able to tell you ahead of time if it meets your requirements, you're just going to have to purchase some armor and try it.

Are you planning on wearing soft body armor regularly, in the real non-competition world? Why not just compete with a strong side OWB holster?

CAN you carry appendix with soft armor? Yes. I regularly carry appendix with an external soft carrier with hard plates.

SHOULD you carry appendix with soft armor? I’d say no. If the club where you’re shooting has such poor safety standards that you think you need to wear armor, I think the bigger issue is the club. If the threat evaluation is so high for the place that you’re volunteering to go to, that you need armor, you’re in the wrong place. The cost and hassle of soft armor could be put towards the extra $5 of gas to go to a further away but better club (theoretical club, I don’t know your area).

Additionally, I’d be very apprehensive to suggest that a novice shooter should be re-holstering and drawing from appendix with the added bulk and potential for fumble from armor. Practically, your performance and growth will suffer.

That said, I’d you choose to ignore me. I’d look into a reputable company, Point Blank, Survival, Safariland, etc. and locate a dealer that will measure you, and order armor specifically cut for you. Some of the guys I work with specifically order smaller sized armor to give more room around the waist. This would probably be a good idea for your context if you went the armor route. Another option is to run a slick PC, with soft armor backers. This will cut down on bulk, and the height issue.

Quote Originally Posted by golden.pierpoint View Post
    Hello all,

I recently purchased my first firearm, a G19.3, and would like to wear soft armor when I compete in IDPA as well as practice at a public range.

My first couple classes there was an elderly man who flagged the hell out of me a bunch of times and it was pretty unnerving. Additionally I read about the RSO who died at an USPSA match and of numerous NDs that have occurred at various matches. There was also a pretty lively discussion on PF I read regarding the safety of striker fired pistols with super lightened triggers in competition matches and the safety challenges that they may pose when running around and potentially falling/dropping them.

A question I have is how much would soft body armor affect my ability to draw from appendix carry, as that is my preferred carry method and any recommendations on concealable level ii or iiia soft armor.

Thanks
    If I were going to do it at a match, I would probably go for a compromise setup where it was an embedded T-shirt without side panels or extensive coverage. Something like this:

https://premierbodyarmor.com/product...xoCzJUQAvD_BwE

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 5.04.01 AM.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  43.0 KB

And then do that as an undershirt if shooting concealed AIWB in IDPA.

However.... at matches you can just stand far away from the shooter and stand behind a couple of thick buddies (that's what I do when there's someone sketchy on the line).

It's more of an issue for the RO that has to stand up close to random people with firearms. Less so for the competitors.

I did see an RO at a major IDPA match wear armor and I thought it was totally reasonable.

I have heard of people getting fragged by ricochets off steel to the point of penetrating trauma. That's a real thing.

As for public range, if you have any control of what time of day you go... that can mitigate some of the yahoo factor.

Also look around for membership to some of the semi-private ranges in your area... they're much less populated and tend to have less chance of the casual buffoon popping off rounds. They often have long wait lists, so best to get your name on a few lists now before you think you'll need it.

Best of luck on your firearm journey!

While there is minimum you can do at a match, you can at least lodge a comment about anyone who you feel is unsafe. Walk next to the RO going to the next stage and let him know your feeling. For practice, if at all possible w/ your work schedule, we find going to the IWLA range first thing in the morning we are usually the only ones there. Can you go in 2 hrs late and work additional 2 hours? Can you take vacation time in 1/4 or 1/2 days? My body shape makes appendix carry a no go for me but we do have soft armor which is way too bulky to consider appendix even if my body would work.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Soft body armor and appendix carry is possible. I've done it myself. But your body type, what type/brand of soft body armor you use, your holster and your gun will all influence how concealable and comfortable it is. It'll almost certainly be less concealable and comfortable than without wearing armor. No one's really going to be able to tell you ahead of time if it meets your requirements, you're just going to have to purchase some armor and try it.

Are you planning on wearing soft body armor regularly, in the real non-competition world? Why not just compete with a strong side OWB holster?

Got it thanks. I’m not planning on wearing it in the real world just at the range/competition.

I was thinking of swearing the holster OWB, but also want the live fire training practice of AIWB draws at the action range we have given that’s how intend to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If I were going to do it at a match, I would probably go for a compromise setup where it was an embedded T-shirt without side panels or extensive coverage. Something like this:

https://premierbodyarmor.com/product...xoCzJUQAvD_BwE

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 5.04.01 AM.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  43.0 KB

And then do that as an undershirt if shooting concealed AIWB in IDPA.

However.... at matches you can just stand far away from the shooter and stand behind a couple of thick buddies (that's what I do when there's someone sketchy on the line).

It's more of an issue for the RO that has to stand up close to random people with firearms. Less so for the competitors.

I did see an RO at a major IDPA match wear armor and I thought it was totally reasonable.

I have heard of people getting fragged by ricochets off steel to the point of penetrating trauma. That's a real thing.

As for public range, if you have any control of what time of day you go... that can mitigate some of the yahoo factor.

Also look around for membership to some of the semi-private ranges in your area... they're much less populated and tend to have less chance of the casual buffoon popping off rounds. They often have long wait lists, so best to get your name on a few lists now before you think you'll need it.

Best of luck on your firearm journey!
    Oh wow that’s an interesting option. Thanks!

Ya I’ve joined a semi private range so will see how that is. My biggest concern is at competition with people running around the risk greatly increasing. Especially with all the modified triggers out there

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    CAN you carry appendix with soft armor? Yes. I regularly carry appendix with an external soft carrier with hard plates.

SHOULD you carry appendix with soft armor? I’d say no. If the club where you’re shooting has such poor safety standards that you think you need to wear armor, I think the bigger issue is the club. If the threat evaluation is so high for the place that you’re volunteering to go to, that you need armor, you’re in the wrong place. The cost and hassle of soft armor could be put towards the extra $5 of gas to go to a further away but better club (theoretical club, I don’t know your area).

Additionally, I’d be very apprehensive to suggest that a novice shooter should be re-holstering and drawing from appendix with the added bulk and potential for fumble from armor. Practically, your performance and growth will suffer.

That said, I’d you choose to ignore me. I’d look into a reputable company, Point Blank, Survival, Safariland, etc. and locate a dealer that will measure you, and order armor specifically cut for you. Some of the guys I work with specifically order smaller sized armor to give more room around the waist. This would probably be a good idea for your context if you went the armor route. Another option is to run a slick PC, with soft armor backers. This will cut down on bulk, and the height issue.
    Great to hear you wear armor and carry appendixz

Ya makes sense in general and eventually I may get to the point where I don’t need the armor, but for now it’s something I’d like to wear to any range I go to.

Thanks for the brand recommendations that’s what I was looking for as well. There’s so many options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    While there is minimum you can do at a match, you can at least lodge a comment about anyone who you feel is unsafe. Walk next to the RO going to the next stage and let him know your feeling. For practice, if at all possible w/ your work schedule, we find going to the IWLA range first thing in the morning we are usually the only ones there. Can you go in 2 hrs late and work additional 2 hours? Can you take vacation time in 1/4 or 1/2 days? My body shape makes appendix carry a no go for me but we do have soft armor which is way too bulky to consider appendix even if my body would work.
    Great ideas Craig, unfortunately my preferred range doesn’t open until 11 and my backup one 9. The 1/4 and 1/2 day vacation though may make sense for me.

Thanks for being honest about the product and it’s compatibility with appendix.

Have you shot an IDPA match yet? It is my understanding AIWB is banned.

Every match I have ever gone to has STRICT safety standards. If anyone flags anyone else, loaded gun or not, that person is being sent home immediately, no matter if it is their 1st or 50th match.

I'm sorry you experienced that in a class. IMO the instructor did everyone a disservice by not immediately kicking the unsafe guy off the line.

Finally, body armor is a halfway solution even if the threat is real. Your not talking about a bad guy aiming for your center mass, your talking about a random (and statistically near-negligible) occurence. The likelihood that, IF you get shot, the round will just happen to hit you in the armor, is statistically low.

I guess what I am saying is chill out, go to the match without wearing armor, and I think you'll find the safety adherence at the match nullifies your concern. If it doesnt, then just dont go to that match again.

User Tag List