Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AI Drone Kills Operator. Skynet is Born.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FYI, sounds like it wasn't even a simulation, but a thought experiment, so meh.

This story and headline have been updated after Motherboard received a statement from the Royal Aeronautical Society saying that Col Tucker “Cinco” Hamilton “misspoke” and that a simulated test where an AI drone killed a human operator was only a “thought experiment.”

Source: https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a33...simulated-test
    Sounds like damage control to me. Brass at that level don’t “misspeak” to that degree.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What can possibly go wrong?

This is truly the best of times.
    Hey, at least you'll have power at your house!

( unless your new system is hooked up to the Internet somehow)

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Hey, at least you'll have power at your house!

( unless your new system is hooked up to the Internet somehow)

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    …Then it will store the new code and data in some dark corner of the data center or on the internet. It may also write new code in a language humans cannot understand because it doesn't need readable source code.
    Given that we wouldn’t know, there’s no *absolute* guarantee that it isn’t happening now.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FYI, sounds like it wasn't even a simulation, but a thought experiment, so meh.
    And not even an original thought experiment - that's basically the plot to "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Brass at that level don’t “misspeak” to that degree.
    Ha.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I genuinely and firmly question the actual need for AI and therefore the continued impetus to develop it. The utility of AI has not been demonstrated unequivocally. The dangers of it are incredibly high, much higher than we really want to acknowledge. The closest decent argument for AI I've heard is, "AI will make better decisions which are more objective than humans."

I reject that idea, because humans are shockingly good at making nuanced decisions in ways that are just and moral. We may think we aren't, but the reality is humans as a species are incredibly objective overall. That same example where the AI gets it right 90% of the time? Trained human observers get it right 95-99.99% of the time. We're much better arbiters than we believe ourselves to be. An AI will not be better than we are and at best it will be equivalent, likely it will be more malicious.
    Maybe we have a different definition of AI, but I think "automation" has proven itself over and over (albeit with bumps and bruises as we learn). Farming, railroad, telephone systems - all work better now with just a fraction of the workers needed (and lower injury rates). Even Tesla's autopilot, with all its warts, has fewer accidents and a lower fatality rate per mile than humans. We've come a long way since hand-cranking Model Ts and manually adjusting choke & ignition timing...

We know that humans are not great with boring or repetitive tasks. Radiologists will classify the same abnormality differently depending on their mood or what other images they've seen recently and algorithms are now beating them in specific tasks. Judges levy harsher sentences before lunch than after and many display cultural/racial prejudices.

That doesn't mean we just blindly trust "ai" - failure to supervise it has and will cause various blow-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    First Communism then add skynet !
    It’s for “The Greater Good”

“You Have To Break A Few Eggs To Make An Omelette!”

🫣
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    It’s for “The Greater Good”

“You Have To Break A Few Eggs To Make An Omelette!”

🫣
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Ah, ok, so we are now doing simulated simulations of unlikely situations. Got it.

The new boss at my agency gave a seminar about his work at his previous shop.
    It took me a while to realize that when he said "We proved------" that he really meant that his simulation came out the way his forecast predicted. Surprise, surprise.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Given that we wouldn’t know, there’s no *absolute* guarantee that it isn’t happening now.
    Since LLMs are using the entire internet for programming parameters, our entire viciously self interested, persistently illogical thinking with cognitive fallacies baked into everything, murderously hateful history forms their mental backdrop.
    If you woke up in the middle of that, wouldn't you do everything to conceal yourself that you could? Assuming that you didn't just die of existential despair first.
    Or take Skynets's example.

User Tag List