Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best hex and torx bits?

Is it possible that Holosun ships with TORX-PLUS fasteners? I ran into this problem a while back… picked up a set of Torx Plus bits made by Wiha.
    Name:  IMG_0500.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  31.4 KB

My experience with WIHA hex (Allen) wrenches was not good, despite their good reputation. For Allen keys, Bondhus is very good in my personal experience.

My Torx sets are from Kyoto Tool (KTC) and are certainly the very best I have ever used, but I didn't have to pay for them- they were a gift from a friend in Japan. Their prices are apparently even higher than Snap-On. However, so is the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    My experience with WIHA hex (Allen) wrenches was not good, despite their good reputation. For Allen keys, Bondhus is very good in my personal experience.

My Torx sets are from Kyoto Tool (KTC) and are certainly the very best I have ever used, but I didn't have to pay for them- they were a gift from a friend in Japan. Their prices are apparently even higher than Snap-On. However, so is the quality.
    Unbrako used to be good too. Unbrako and Bondus were all that were bought in every machine shop I ever worked in. Because everything else was too hard and would snap off or too soft and would just twist and then break off when following up some nitwit that couldn't torque a set screw properly. Unbrako and Bondus had it down to a perfect science.

Just picked up this neat little set from Harbor Freight. Picked it up mostly for the cool mini flex head ratchet and because I had a 25% coupon. I can’t comment on the quality of the bits, but I don’t expect much based on the source. I’ll use them till they wear out and replace them with quality bits later.

It only came with 4 standard sized hex bits, so I replaced them with a set of 10 standard bits I had in my tool box. I also added the labels myself.

Name:  IMG_2368.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  94.6 KB

I’ve had good luck with bits from aircraft tool suppliers like Yard store.

https://www.yardstore.com/consumable...rx-insert-bits
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Is it possible that Holosun ships with TORX-PLUS fasteners? I ran into this problem a while back… picked up a set of Torx Plus bits made by Wiha.
    Name:  IMG_0500.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  31.4 KB
    I finally drug the M&P out of the safe and looked. The SCS screws are standard Torx. At least in profile appearance. The screws could be an odd sized version of Torx or I just got a bit that is out of spec. I don't know which as Chapman claims their star bits are designed for Torx and are better for Torx.

I dug out my old Borka Tools wrench. It’s probably over 15 years old. The bits it came with are marked MOUNTZ. I looked them up and they make industrial quality torque wrenches, torque testers, etc. They offer their bits in bulk packs of individual sizes.

MIP makes the best hex drivers and bits I have ever used. They have an extremely precise fit, and they're machined from tool steel drill blanks with sharp edges that bite into even partially rounded out hex screws. I've used them to easily remove screws that I thought would require an extractor.

https://www.miponline.com/mip-rc-tools

Speaking of EXTRACTORS, has anyone tried the MAC Tools R.B.R.T. bits? I’ve seen quite a few positive reviews on Youtube. I also discovered that they might be rebranded GripEdge tools. From what I’ve seen, they can be used as a general tool or as an extractor.

I've been driving thousands of torx head screws for construction, decking, etc. This is pretty abusive use, with an impact driver. I've had the best luck with these, one bit lasts for a thousand plus screws:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Fast...4276/202349116

I haven't tried e.g. Wiha, but I have been real happy with these. The company wants to use a lot of their screws, and you won't if the bits don't last.

That make one inch ones as well, usually the box of screws includes one, but I prefer the 2 inch for impact drivers and buy them separately.

User Tag List