Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Slim Frame Pistol

I prefer the 48 over shooting the 43X and 365XL. I found the XL to be too snappy for my taste and I'm not a fan of the 365 triggers, at least the ones I've handled. The slimline Glocks aren't for everyone but for some reason I find it quite controllable and can shoot them pretty aggressively. I did some bill drills at 25 a while back pushing for speed. What really helps is the dot for such a relatively small gun. If you put the time in, you can make it work even with 10rders.

1. 3.50 4A 2C
    2. 3.35 6A
    3. 2.95 4A 2C

Name:  FD5B75AE-7D7A-4D21-8D4B-A48BA3FABF59.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  36.6 KB

I was in the same position as the OP and wound up with a Taurus GX4XL of all things. Here is why I decided to roll the dice and try it.

I really don't like how the Glock and S&W won't accept Holosun optics as a direct mount. I find the Shield to be, by far, the best gun to grip in this category, but won't buy a new one until they unfuck the optic footprint. They fixed it on the 30 super carry and won't fix the 9mm. This pisses me off.

I find the grip too small on the P365 XL to the point that it feels awkward to grip/shoot. A Wilson grip would probably fix this, but at that point I'm over $700 into this after tax, shipping and/or fees. The Taurus wound up being $350 out the door with the current $50 rebate, so less than half the price. It will still be cheaper with a mounted Holosun EPS carry. The Sig package would be up over $1K with this optic and a new grip frame, and it still won't have a rear iron sight. Edit to add: If I want a practice gun/carry gun setup, which is my preference, I'm over $1400 into Sig, but only $700 with Taurus.

Haven't had time to shoot the Taurus yet as I just bought it. The things that initially sold me on it were the Mec-Gar magazines (main reason), price, sights, grip, optic footprint, overall form factor, neat takedown, decent reviews, and honestly that they hired Caleb (I know this is crazy). It seems that-like Holosun-they may be starting to design things in interesting ways without lawyers and clueless marketing execs butting in. No silly cautions printed on the gun, magazines from the best manufacturer, simple rear sights that don't poke out over the rear of the slide (huge pet peeve), and a backstrap that gives me just enough room to use some support hand right out of the box. The takedown design makes a ton of sense to me-who needs a lever sticking out? The gun just seems well thought out and feels like quality in hand. If I wind up hating it, I can probably sell it for $250 and only be out a hundred bucks.

There are a couple things I don't like about it right out of the box. I find the grip to be slightly uncomfortable where it contacts above my carpal tunnel of strong hand palm, and the holster availability is shit right now. I'm not sure the XL will ever be supported by 'good' holster makers.

I will try to dump a bunch of rounds through it this weekend and see if I regret my decision. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 06-02-2023 at 07:45 AM.

P365XL Macro Cold Heat and then run a 2nd time. About the same as how I perform on a G19

Out to 25 yards I feel like the XL is more accurate thana. G19 too. Past 25 yards G19 is more accurate
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I was in the same position as the OP and wound up with a Taurus GX4XL of all things. Here is why I decided to roll the dice and try it.

I really don't like how the Glock and S&W won't accept Holosun optics as a direct mount. I find the Shield to be, by far, the best gun to grip in this category, but won't buy a new one until they unfuck the optic footprint. They fixed it on the 30 super carry and won't fix the 9mm. This pisses me off.

I find the grip too small on the P365 XL to the point that it feels awkward to grip/shoot. A Wilson grip would probably fix this, but at that point I'm over $700 into this after tax, shipping and/or fees. The Taurus wound up being $350 out the door with the current $50 rebate, so less than half the price. It will still be cheaper with a mounted Holosun EPS carry. The Sig package would be up over $1K with this optic and a new grip frame, and it still won't have a rear iron sight. Edit to add: If I want a practice gun/carry gun setup, which is my preference, I'm over $1400 into Sig, but only $700 with Taurus.

Haven't had time to shoot the Taurus yet as I just bought it. The things that initially sold me on it were the Mec-Gar magazines (main reason), price, sights, grip, optic footprint, overall form factor, neat takedown, decent reviews, and honestly that they hired Caleb (I know this is crazy). It seems that-like Holosun-they may be starting to design things in interesting ways without lawyers and clueless marketing execs butting in. No silly cautions printed on the gun, magazines from the best manufacturer, simple rear sights that don't poke out over the rear of the slide (huge pet peeve), and a backstrap that gives me just enough room to use some support hand right out of the box. The takedown design makes a ton of sense to me-who needs a lever sticking out? The gun just seems well thought out and feels like quality in hand. If I wind up hating it, I can probably sell it for $250 and only be out a hundred bucks.

There are a couple things I don't like about it right out of the box. I find the grip to be slightly uncomfortable where it contacts above my carpal tunnel of strong hand palm, and the holster availability is shit right now. I'm not sure the XL will ever be supported by 'good' holster makers.

I will try to dump a bunch of rounds through it this weekend and see if I regret my decision. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    You might want to check yours:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...safety-recall/
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Eastridge 2.5 standards with an XL Macro. https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...cond-standards

I shoot 2 strings are shot from concealment vs low ready. Last one is one handed draw for me
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

Is your Taurus subject to the non-drop safe recall?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I prefer the 48 over shooting the 43X and 365XL. I found the XL to be too snappy for my taste and I'm not a fan of the 365 triggers, at least the ones I've handled. The slimline Glocks aren't for everyone but for some reason I find it quite controllable and can shoot them pretty aggressively. I did some bill drills at 25 a while back pushing for speed. What really helps is the dot for such a relatively small gun. If you put the time in, you can make it work even with 10rders.

1. 3.50 4A 2C
    2. 3.35 6A
    3. 2.95 4A 2C

Name:  FD5B75AE-7D7A-4D21-8D4B-A48BA3FABF59.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  36.6 KB
    This is damn good shooting with a 48. I'd feel pretty confident if I could replicate this with a slim gun. Have you tried 25 yard Bills with a standard width compact?

The slimline pistols, overall, have been a game changer for more people having a capable pistol for EDC. I think mid size pistols like a G19 have more reliable magazines, are somewhat more reliable and somewhat easier to shoot, but if the choice is between no pistol, a J frame or single stack, the slimline pistols are awesome and so close to mid size pistols that the difference between them and a mid size is unlikely to matter for most EDC.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The slimline pistols, overall, have been a game changer for more people having a capable pistol for EDC. I think mid size pistols like a G19 have more reliable magazines, are somewhat more reliable and somewhat easier to shoot, but if the choice is between no pistol, a J frame or single stack, the slimline pistols are awesome and so close to mid size pistols that the difference between them and a mid size is unlikely to matter for most EDC.
    This is the definitive answer to this thread.
    Awesome post George.

If someone wants a slim get it and don't look back. They will do the job.
    Like @GJM said the difference is not going to matter in self defense shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is your Taurus subject to the non-drop safe recall?
    Not yet.

User Tag List