Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Slim Frame Pistol

Choosing a Slim Frame Pistol

I've never been a fan of the "what should I buy" type posts, but please bare with me. I've been appendix carrying a G19 for the last 13+ years and it will continue to be a mainstay for me, but I have to admit I have been tempted by the emergence of these new slim frame guns for the days when I'm just going to the office and the kids aren't with me, so I started researching.

G48 - this was at the top of my list as it's similar to my 19's and I can still have a SCD, until I started reading the thread here and learning of the issues with the shorter RSA and it being picky with certain ammo. Couple that with a lack of reliable high capacity magazines and I just don't know anymore. (early reports of the PSA mags haven't been favorable but I did manage to grab 3 just in case)

P365 XL - awesome modularity, small and extremely comfortable, I dislike the trigger, no SCD, no real rear sight with an optic mounted, not quite as easy to shoot fast as the G48 or Shield Plus 4" from what I've read

Shield Plus 4" - this seems to be at the top of my list right now. Great trigger and very shootable, but again no SCD and I keep reading about issues with their 13rd mags which concerns me

I guess what I'd like to hear is:

1.) What was your thought process was when choosing one of these guns and which did you go with.

2.) Did I unfairly characterize any of the above guns or is there a solution I don't know about (ie Shadow Systems frame/mag with a G48 upper to help increase capacity or Vuurwapen HMC9).

3.) Did anyone have issues with the Shield plus 13rd mags and/or with the G48 being unreliable?

4.) Should I be considering anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post
    I've never been a fan of the "what should I buy" type posts, but please bare with me. I've been appendix carrying a G19 for the last 13+ years and it will continue to be a mainstay for me, but I have to admit I have been tempted by the emergence of these new slim frame guns for the days when I'm just going to the office and the kids aren't with me, so I started researching.

G48 - this was at the top of my list as it's similar to my 19's and I can still have a SCD, until I started reading the thread here and learning of the issues with the shorter RSA and it being picky with certain ammo. Couple that with a lack of reliable high capacity magazines and I just don't know anymore. (early reports of the PSA mags haven't been favorable but I did manage to grab 3 just in case)

P365 XL - awesome modularity, small and extremely comfortable, I dislike the trigger, no SCD, no real rear sight with an optic mounted, not quite as easy to shoot fast as the G48 or Shield Plus 4" from what I've read

Shield Plus 4" - this seems to be at the top of my list right now. Great trigger and very shootable, but again no SCD and I keep reading about issues with their 13rd mags which concerns me

1.) What was your thought process was when choosing one of these guns and which did you go with.

2.) Did I unfairly characterize any of the above guns or is there a solution I don't know about (ie Shadow Systems frame/mag with a G48 upper to help increase capacity or Vuurwapen HMC9).

3.) Did anyone have issues with the Shield plus 13rd mags and/or with the G48 being unreliable?

How fast is shoot fast on for a p365xl? Like is a 3 second bill drill from concealment ok or gotta be faster? 2 hits in 2 seconds for cold heat. 3 in 2.10 to 2.20

Site Supporter
    Small sample sizes I know but:

My G48 worked fine. Functioned well with issued ammo (147gr HST). Only about 500 rounds so I have no data about longevity of RSA. I just didn't like the gun so it went.
    Co-workers have Shields. No complaints about any of them. I have shot them and they handle like a slim frame 9mm. No reliability issues with them.
    My preference of the guns you listed is for the Shield.

Like G19 asked, how fast is fast. The slim guns have always been a little slower for me. WIth that being said, outside of competition, short splits that are faster than you can assess the need to shoot again are not needed. I want the slim guns to be able to be operated without thought so I can spend the limited time and cognitive resources on decision making.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I’d stick with what you know, so that points to the G48. I’d feel better carrying appendix with the SCD, too.

One note if it makes a difference—the new production P365XLs have a rear sight dovetail. The model is 365xl-9-bxr3p (the model without the permanent dovetail is 365xl-9-bxr3). Personally I’m fine using the very low rear sight on the Holosun 507K as the backup with the included front sight, so I sought out the original model.

Site Supporter
    I know you said slim frame, but I'll ask anyway. Have you considered a G26? You get a smaller footprint, familiarity of operation, interoperability of mags, mag pouches, and holsters...
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I've been very happy with the G48. I had four at one time but now I have two.

I also have been happy with the Shield 15 round magazines. I have 12, a mix of gen 1 and gen 2, and have never had any problems running them.

I went with this gun and mag combination three years ago because I liked the idea of the Slimline with a high capacity magazine and it has worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoom15 View Post

Ideally I will would way rent and try them all

Small world; I went through almost exactly the same process in 2020-21, when it came time to choose a skinny option to replace my Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS. As per usual for me, I constructed a matrix and listed the pro's and cons. A copy/paste of it is below, if you can't read it let me know.

After about 18 months of buying various small 9mm options, shooting them extensively, and then selling for one reason or another, I sold my G19 and purchased a P365X November 2021. I had some concerns, because of course Sig gonna Sig. This was in the middle of the P320 debate, and I highly valued the SCD (had one on all my Glocks since 2017) for carry. What really sold me was the reconfigurability of Sig's design, and the Elvish Magic they must use to stuff 12 rounds into a mag that small.

I'd owned two previous; my P365XL barfed the follower out of a mag at a USPSA match when I dropped a partially loaded mag on the dirt. I stuffed the follower in at the bench and continued, but it gave me pause. My wife's P365 shot extremely well, but was a mite small in the grip. No issues with it, though. So for my third, a combination of larger grip (XL) but shorter slide (X) made a lot of sense to me.

I have 1,132 rounds through the P365X to date. I've only logged two malfunctions, both at one range session, January 2022. One was a stovepipe and one FTRB with a brand-new 12 round Sig magazine. Neither mag/nor the gun has had an issue since.

Ammo shot included Federal HST 147 and 124, Speer GD 115, 124, 124+p, Federal AE 115 and 124, S&B 124, and Blazer Brass 124. Last November I bought one of the now-discontinued X-change kits, so as to have an XL slide. I've installed Ameriglo SG-212-230-O tritium front sights on both slides, because I don't see the green of the XRAY3s very well. The Ameriglo orange really pops for me. I also bought almost every grip module now, including a WC P365XL and Sig Macro.

Holsters range from a Vedder Pocket Locker to a JM CK AIWB 2.5 WC to an RCS Perun I wear AOWB. I have a bunch of magazines and yes they are expensive and hard to load without an Uplula, but they work well. I carry a 17 round Macro mag for a reload for EDC. So far I have had no rust issues on the mag tubes or other parts of the gun (sights, mag release).

I've owned the P365X for 19 months now, which is an astonishingly long time for me to keep a gun. I have no plans to replace it; in fact I'm in the market for another one, so as to have a "training" gun and a "carry" gun.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-01 07-04-11.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  84.2 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 06-01-2023 at 06:41 AM.

I won’t carry AIWB without an SCD or a hammer, so G48 or revolvers for me.
    #RESIST

You asked about the G48 being reliable.
    Mine has been 100% including 200 rounds of HST 147.

Far as that goes my 43 and 43X have been 100%.

All now have substantial round counts.

My opinion the P365, the Shield,the Glocks would all be a good slim carry gun.
    Pick what shoots best for you.

User Tag List