Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weatherby teasing something new

Weatherby teasing something new

Conceptually that looks very similar to the Tikka CTR- blending the field/hunting/PRS influences into a jack-of-all trades while leaving areas for a shooter to grow/modify to suit their tastes. It looks like they already have MDT on board for chassis, which is encouraging. I don't know much about Weatherby, might have to change that if this is well executed.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Conceptually that looks very similar to the Tikka CTR- blending the field/hunting/PRS influences into a jack-of-all trades while leaving areas for a shooter to grow/modify to suit their tastes. It looks like they already have MDT on board for chassis, which is encouraging. I don't know much about Weatherby, might have to change that if this is well executed.
    Weatherby traditionally built guns chambered for proprietary cartridges to sell ammo and the idea (high velocity, double venturi shoulder) behind the brand. None of that was wrong, it was just their schtick. The Vanguard was a significant departure in that it used a Howa action and was chambered for non-Weatherby cartridges.

I agree that the concept is strong. If it's built on a Vanguard, then it's a Howa action, which is fine. Same if it's built on the proprietary Mark V action. If it's a new action, then I want to know more--a lot more. For instance, are we stuck with Weatherby cartridges or is different salt in the stew?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

After doing some freeze framing of the video and comparing action profiles with the Mark V and Vanguard, I think its a different action. There is a gas relief hole on the right side of the front trunion area, which is not present on either existing action, and the bolt shroud is shaped pretty different than either. Safety looks a bit different as well. Keeping the jack-of-all trades theme in mind, the PRC family of cartridges might be a popular idea. Regardless, limiting it to proprietary cartridges would be a commercially limiting factor, but if that's their thing, who am I to tell them different?

Edit- According to Reddit, its a 700 based action and offered in a factory HNT-26 chassis in choice of Weatherby and normal cartridges. https://www.reddit.com/r/longrange/c...weatherby_307/
    Last edited by DpdG; 05-31-2023 at 05:35 AM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Yeah, if they offer it only in Weatherby Magnum cartridges they are definitely going to be limiting its appeal and most likely limiting its sales.

Right now it seems like everybody wants to shoot only High BC, long, sleek bullets. That's not Weatherby.

If that Reddit page is correct, looks like it's a direct competitor to the Sig Cross and other similar rifles.

https://weatherby.com/store/model-307-range-xp/

Looks like it’s offered in both standard and Weatherby cartridges.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Site Supporter
    I like the specs and cartridge offerings.

I wonder if it’s a Turkish rifle? They have some shotguns made by low-end Turkish makers. The price may be an indicator.

Site Supporter
    The website says it's proudly built in Sheridan, WY.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    The website says it's proudly built in Sheridan, WY.
    Glad to hear this. I'd have bet good many that they were Turkish if anyone had offered me the wager.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

User Tag List