Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pocket holster recommendation

pocket holster recommendation

Looking for a pocket holster for a PM9. I've narrowed it down to Aholster and Vedder. Any recommendations between them? Any other options?

I have three of Robert Mika’s offerings, and they’re excellent. A Glock 42, a J frame and an LCP. After I placed my orders he called to confirm exactly what I wanted and discussed his process a bit. Old-school business style that was unexpected and refreshing.

https://mikaspocketholsters.com

Site Supporter
    The Aholster is my second favorite pocket holster.

My current favorite is the Pocket Concealment Systems Tomahawk, which I recommend assuming you will use it with front pockets with vertical openings. The curved bottom keeps the holster from sitting at an unnatural angle, as straight bottom pocket holsters tend to do. The cant of the holster holds the gun in an excellent orientation for concealment. The big flap under the grip does a good job of breaking up any gun-shaped outline while also serving to hook the lip of the pocket during a draw.

I pocket carry a P3)5 five days per week, 6-7 months per year. I previously pocket carried a G26. I have also tried several other pocket holsters, including some that cost more than the two I recommend above. All of the others had various shortcomings in concealment, drawing the gun, or both.

There is a decision generally on pocket holsters between which type, push off like the Aholster or simple draw like the Mika and many others. I am in the Mika camp because I don't have confidence in executing the push off draw but many do and prefer that path.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    There is a decision generally on pocket holsters between which type, push off like the Aholster or simple draw like the Mika and many others. I am in the Mika camp because I don't have confidence in executing the push off draw but many do and prefer that path.
    Interesting. I've never used the Mica, although I have read positive reviews. I would think a draw-type holster would require a looser pocket (slacks vs jeans) which would seem to increase the risk of the firearm falling out if one is laying down or sitting.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Interesting. I've never used the Mica, although I have read positive reviews. I would think a draw-type holster would require a looser pocket (slacks vs jeans) which would seem to increase the risk of the firearm falling out if one is laying down or sitting.

Or I could be totally wrong.
    Not necessarily wrong. With revolvers I haven't seen problems but semi-autos I have. I suspect it's a combination of the cylinder bulge increasing contact area with the holster plus the weight balance of a revolver versus the smoother sides and lesser contact area of a semi, combined with the rearward weight balance caused by the magazine. Could be wrong on the reasons but draw type holsters do seem more prone to to tip out with semis in my own experience.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I bought about a half dozen different pocket holsters for my G43 and found the PCS Blackbird worked best for me. I treated it with Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning to allow it to release the pistol more easily.

I pocket carry mostly while wearing Carhartt B357 100% cotton ripstop shorts, but Carhartt unwisely discontinued them and replaced them with lighter poly/cotton fag shorts. I've recently switched to Duluth Fire Hose Flex shorts and the PCS Blackbird doesn't work very well due to the deeper pockets. Because of this I switched to carrying a DAO Ruger LCR .327 Magnum revolver without a pocket holster. The Duluth shorts have a small pocket inside the bottom of the right front pocket in which I insert the 1-7/8" barrel and the LCR stays put, doesn't print, and I can draw it from the pocket very quickly.

The moral of my story is pocket holsters are very dependent on the pocket you carry it in. What works for one kind of trousers/shorts may not work in others.

My best results have been with the PCS Blackbird and the Aholster.

As @Shawn Dodson said it is the pants pocket that is the important part.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    I bought about a half dozen different pocket holsters for my G43 and found the PCS Blackbird worked best for me. I treated it with Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning to allow it to release the pistol more easily.

I pocket carry mostly while wearing Carhartt B357 100% cotton ripstop shorts, but Carhartt unwisely discontinued them and replaced them with lighter poly/cotton fag shorts. I've recently switched to Duluth Fire Hose Flex shorts and the PCS Blackbird doesn't work very well due to the deeper pockets. Because of this I switched to carrying a DAO Ruger LCR .327 Magnum revolver without a pocket holster. The Duluth shorts have a small pocket inside the bottom of the right front pocket in which I insert the 1-7/8" barrel and the LCR stays put, doesn't print, and I can draw it from the pocket very quickly.

The moral of my story is pocket holsters are very dependent on the pocket you carry it in. What works for one kind of trousers/shorts may not work in others.
    I hate when they "improve" shorts and pants. I will find a short that has great pockets and the next time I buy they have shrank them. With phones getting bigger you would think folks would build bigger pockets not smaller.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the Aholster. It seems to have a much smoother outline in the pocket vs the Vedder or the Pocket Concealment. I may not be able to hide I have something in my pocket, but if it looks like I have a gun in my pocket, the holster has failed.

Should have it in two or three weeks. Hopefully I can post a positive review.

User Tag List