Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: pocket holster recommendation

I’d like a pocket holster for my LCP .22 that allows for disengaging the safety while still in the holster as I establish my grip. Haven’t run across one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I’d like a pocket holster for my LCP .22 that allows for disengaging the safety while still in the holster as I establish my grip. Haven’t run across one yet.
    The DeSantis Nemesis #G3 I have lets me push the safety off in the holster, and still covers the trigger.

Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  55.8 KB

I use a Mika for my 442. IMO one does not want a pocket holster that retains the gun or it will come out with the gun on the draw. They should hold the gun upright for ease of grabbing it and keep the pocket from being destroyed with the front sight/muzzle. I've never considered them a fast draw holster, more of covert draw or a get the fuck off me draw.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I don't think the "push off" types of holsters will allow that, but the loser Mika style holsters will. I can certainly manage the safety, putting it on or off, on my P365 in the Mika holster.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I received my Aholster the other day. Workmanship is awesome, as is the fit on my PM9. However, I am leaning towards returning it. If I am doing anything other than standing at attention there is the clear outline of a firearm. This is somewhat dependent on which pants I have on, but it's there. If I knew how to upload a photo of how it looks in my pocket I would. It has also occasionally come out of my pocket with the gun, but that could be on me - I haven't yet developed the skills to disengage the holster from the gun properly.

I am not looking to carry a BUG. I want to carry my PM9 in my right front pocket when wearing cargo shorts and doing something where I can't discreetly carry a larger gun on my belt. I have a J-frame, but its limited capacity coupled with slow reload and overall larger size preclude my preferring to carry it. I have a Nemesis for it and it definitely prints. The only thing it does better than the Kahr is draw from a pocket easier.

I experimented putting my PM9 in a Nemesis sized for a Glock. It's too big for the Kahr but it does reduce the gun outline a little more than the Aholster. It doesn't remove it, just reduce it. Again, if I knew how to provide a photo is would. I plan on ordering the correct size Nemesis and give it a try.

I am beginning to think the loose Nemesis/Mika-style holster might be a better choice for me. I didn't think I would want one - I thought it too likely that the gun might fall out of the pocket, but drawing my Kahr from a large Nemesis is definitely easier than from the tight-fitting kydex.

This is why I hate pocket carry, but I need some way to carry when I can't use an IWB/OWB. Maybe a Smart Carry?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I received my Aholster the other day. Workmanship is awesome, as is the fit on my PM9. However, I am leaning towards returning it. If I am doing anything other than standing at attention there is the clear outline of a firearm. This is somewhat dependent on which pants I have on, but it's there. If I knew how to upload a photo of how it looks in my pocket I would. It has also occasionally come out of my pocket with the gun, but that could be on me - I haven't yet developed the skills to disengage the holster from the gun properly.

I am not looking to carry a BUG. I want to carry my PM9 in my right front pocket when wearing cargo shorts and doing something where I can't discreetly carry a larger gun on my belt. I have a J-frame, but its limited capacity coupled with slow reload and overall larger size preclude my preferring to carry it. I have a Nemesis for it and it definitely prints. The only thing it does better than the Kahr is draw from a pocket easier.

I experimented putting my PM9 in a Nemesis sized for a Glock. It's too big for the Kahr but it does reduce the gun outline a little more than the Aholster. It doesn't remove it, just reduce it. Again, if I knew how to provide a photo is would. I plan on ordering the correct size Nemesis and give it a try.

I am beginning to think the loose Nemesis/Mika-style holster might be a better choice for me. I didn't think I would want one - I thought it too likely that the gun might fall out of the pocket, but drawing my Kahr from a large Nemesis is definitely easier than from the tight-fitting kydex.

This is why I hate pocket carry, but I need some way to carry when I can't use an IWB/OWB. Maybe a Smart Carry?
    The Aholster has 2 possible ways to catch the pocket to separate from the gun: the hook in the lower portion of the holster under the grip, and the hook by the rear sight. The hook by the rear sight is really useful.

Try taking 4 pieces of copy paper, folding them up into a rectangle, and placing them in front of the holster. This might reduce the outline of the gun.

The Aholster is the second most discreet pocket holster I have tried. The most discreet is the Pocket Concealment Systems Tomahawk.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The Aholster has 2 possible ways to catch the pocket to separate from the gun: the hook in the lower portion of the holster under the grip, and the hook by the rear sight. The hook by the rear sight is really useful.
    So the hook in front of the rear sight is to catch on the pocket as the gun is drawn? I thought it was for my thumb to press before I drew the firearm. Your suggestion will at least allow for my grip to be more solid as I draw.

I had actually experimented with doing just that a couple of times, almost by accident, but I figured I was just being lazy. I'll practice that some more before making a final decision.

As for the Tomahawk, I thought it would print too much and I've always shied away from leather as being too loose. Perhaps I need to rethink both assumptions.

I gave up on pocket carrying an auto a long time ago but I just bought a Galco for my J frame. I've used Mikas in the past and they definitely work but I like the leather because it's thinner but strong enough to conceal and "prints" less. Looks like I'm carrying a baseball in my pocket instead of a softball.

A Safariland 25 is also a good "thin" choice but it can cant around in the pocket a bit if the pocket is big enough to allow it. I also primarily wear Duluth pants or shorts and it never goes completely sideways or anything and not really a huge deal but it was a little irritating that the S25 squirmed as much as it did. The Galco fills the periphery of the pocket better and it's not an issue. If they make one of these for your gun it might work for you.

Site Supporter
    So the hook in front of the rear sight is to catch on the pocket as the gun is drawn? I thought it was for my thumb to press before I drew the firearm. Your suggestion will at least allow for my grip to be more solid as I draw.

I had actually experimented with doing just that a couple of times, almost by accident, but I figured I was just being lazy. I'll practice that some more before making a final decision.

As for the Tomahawk, I thought it would print too much and I've always shied away from leather as being too loose. Perhaps I need to rethink both assumptions.
    if you end up not being able to get the Aholster to work, the Tomahawk is made from sufficiently thin leather so that it does not add considerably to the total thickness that must be hidden. The really big extension under the grip helps to position the gun, and also pushes the pocket fabric outward so that it is less likely to lay around the shape of the grip. The angled position in the pocket can slightly slow a draw but also helps keep the bulge small. I find it to be among the better solutions for avoiding printing, although the folded copy paper makes a really nice anti-print panel when one really, really must be discreet.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

That’s how it works on my Aholster. I obtain a full grip then pull. The Aholster stays in my pocket. At this point many hundreds of presentations, and the Aholster has never left my pocket.

User Tag List