Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me everything you know about this family heirloom.

You can request a letter from the S&W Historical Foundation that will tell you when the gun was made, what distributor it was sent to, whether it was part of any government or company contracts, etc. Last time I did it the cost was about $100.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Needs a T Grip.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Has already been stated 1948-1952. Fairly early C series.
    My father's off duty gun he purchased when joining the Cincinnat PD in 1956 Serial #380xxx
    He hardly fired it. I think I've fired it more than he did. Nice guns. Some call them "pre model 10s"
    Great little ankle gun.
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 488
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 485
Size:  96.0 KB
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

This being a 5 screw model is an indicator of being an earlier model as well.

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Great little ankle gun.
    Tell me you're a Clydesdale without telling me you're a Clydesdale.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Tell me you're a Clydesdale without telling me you're a Clydesdale.

Okie John
    Ha! Not a Clydesdale. Mostly travel back up while driving. Not hiking. PM9 for extensive walking.
    Maybe I should have said "adequate" ankle gun?
    Also good pocket gun when riding the motorcycle. Fits nicely in a cargo pocket of my riding pants in a Remora holster.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_0915.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  35.9 KB
    My example from ca. 1949
    C68xxx.
    Service stocks look cool but suck to actually shoot along with the skinny sights.

What would be a good load to shoot through this? Something to buy, I don’t hand load. Something that will not put a strain on the gun and that would be good for punching a little paper and also be suitable for defense if required.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0915.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  35.9 KB
    My example from ca. 1949
    C68xxx.
    Service stocks look cool but suck to actually shoot along with the skinny sights.
    You weren't supposed to use the sights back then. Crouch, point and stroke was the preferred method.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    What would be a good load to shoot through this? Something to buy, I don’t hand load. Something that will not put a strain on the gun and that would be good for punching a little paper and also be suitable for defense if required.
    Any .38 Special 158-grain Lead Roundnose or any 148-grain Lead Wadcutter "Target Load" would be fine, be gentle to the gun & to your hands and probably shoot very close to the Sights...

User Tag List