Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tikka T3x Roughtech Ember and issue with Hornady Superformance ammo

Several of my hunting companions used Hornady Superperformance cartridges, which ended when they found that the casing separated from the core on impact with a buck. They've switched to Norma, I prefer Hornady, but in the more conservative, lower velocity and vetted Interlock configuration.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Several of my hunting companions used Hornady Superperformance cartridges, which ended when they found that the casing separated from the core on impact with a buck. They've switched to Norma, I prefer Hornady, but in the more conservative, lower velocity and vetted Interlock configuration.

Best, Jon
    Thanks for the reply! I don't see ever buying that type of ammo in the future for any of my rifles. As I think I stated above I didn't realize I was buying Superformance when I selected it. Were I ever to deer hunt I would choose some other kind of ammo, or maybe take my T3x in 270 in which I have been shooting Norma ammo BTW.

I bought a box of 100gr Norma Whitetail and racked a few rounds through the new Tikka with no issues. Further reinforcers the notion that the Hornady ammo was the cause of my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    (Note that I don't have direct experience with that rifle, or with Hornady ammo.) Here are some general comments:

I advise against firing ammo that is difficult to chamber. Given that it's a new rifle, carbon fouling isn't a likely explanation. Leaves two obvious explanations: 1) Your chamber is out of spec. or 2) Something's wrong with the Hornady ammo. I think door number 2 is most likely given the inconsistency of chambering. If it were your gun, rounds would either fit or not. I'd try to get ahold of some other ammo to test that hypothesis. You could also buy a pair of go/no-go gauges to check the rifle.
    I would also bet on door number 2 as the place to start checking things. I've experienced exactly this issue in a Tikka rifle with other Hornady factory "match" loads in 6.5 CM. Other brands, no problem. Not even all Hornady ammo caused a problem. If you look around over on the Hide, there's been known issues of this happening with Hornady ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I would also bet on door number 2 as the place to start checking things. I've experienced exactly this issue in a Tikka rifle with other Hornady factory "match" loads in 6.5 CM. Other brands, no problem. Not even all Hornady ammo caused a problem. If you look around over on the Hide, there's been known issues of this happening with Hornady ammo.
    Thanks for the reply! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have also heard one shooter has had the same problem with Winchester silvertip ammo in his Tikka. I really love the rifle but have minimal chance to shoot it. Once I settle on an ammo I suspect that I won't have this type of thing pop up again.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have not been favorably impressed with either accuracy or velocity of Superformance factory ammo in 338 Winchester Magnum and 30-06.

T3Xs usually come correct from the factory, so I'd try different ammo.

Okie John

I just now am seeing this thread and see that you have received some very solid advice. Tikka builds some very consistent rifles, so opting for some different ammo was a good call. My experience with Hornady ammo has been generally positive, but the superformance line was not in that category when it came to accuracy, though my experimenting with it is from a few years back and I would consider the info not to be current in terms of relevant data.

User Tag List